Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 Am I selfish?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Lavender Stripes
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  2:16:42 PM  Show Profile Send Lavender Stripes a Private Message
So I never used to knit for myself, until I made this mock abfab afghan. That's where it all began. Right now I'm knitting Tempting in Andean Silk, and a modified Candy in Cotton Fleece, both for myself. (Though I did just finish a baby sweater...) Anyways. So I've also been knitting Kiri in Shimmer, for my sister, and just finished blocking it last night. I took one look, put it on, showed it to some people and was completely convinced I should keep it for myself. My sister doesn't even wear shawls in the first place. So then I started Branching Out in recycled cashmere (for my sister... ha). Guess where that one's going. I feel so selfish!

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  2:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
There's nothing wrong with using your talent to enhance your own life. There's no law that says you have to knit for other people. ENjoy!

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

midnightskyfibers
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  3:47:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit midnightskyfibers's Homepage Send midnightskyfibers a Private Message
Well you are the one who appreciates your own work the most- keep it!

http://www.midnightskyfibers.com handspun and handpainted yarns, fibers, and kits.
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  3:57:33 PM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
No!

Just because you have a hobby is no reason why you should have to give away the fruits of that hobby. Before I started knitting, did my mother-in-law nag me to bestow random gifts on people? No. If I went and bought a sweater did she say, when are you going to buy your husband a sweater? No. If I bought a scarf, did she ask me to buy her one? No. Don't even begin to understand why that should be different now, but evidently it is. I just don't get it.

Nature is a haunted house--but Art--is a house that tries to be haunted.
Emily Dickinson
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  04:02:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
I run in spurts of making stuff only for myself and no gifts.

But you could also think that I'm selfish when I buy yarn for a gift because I just want to knit. When I knit a gift for someone else it's half for ME anyway because I get to knit it. So I guess I'm sort of selfish all the time and I'm ok with that.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  07:15:57 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Not at all selfish. Is the carpenter who only makes things for herself selfish? Enjoy!

"I firmly believe the Bible is the misinterpreted word of God." Mokey

www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  08:03:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message
Nope - you're practical! This way you not only get the fun of making the garment, but the fun and satisfaction of wearing your handwork. There's nothing quite like saying "I made it" when somebody asks where you found that lovely...whatever!

And RachelKnits, my invariable answer to my own MIL is: "I'll be happy to teach (insert name) how to knit - then (insert name) can make his/her own (whatever). But it's my time, and my decision as to what I do with it!"

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  08:06:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RachelKnitter
....If I bought a scarf, did she ask me to buy her one? No. Don't even begin to understand why that should be different now, but evidently it is. I just don't get it.

Exactly--when I cook dinner, nobody expects me to give it to the next door neighbors. When I read a book, nobody expects me to read it out loud to the people around me. I don't understand why everyone expects me to give up my knitting.

What a joke. I count more than 10 garments in my wardrobe that I knit for myself in the last year. I don't feel guilty about it at all.

Amanda

A good friend: You knit faster than most women shop.
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  09:02:29 AM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RachelKnitter

No!

Just because you have a hobby is no reason why you should have to give away the fruits of that hobby. Before I started knitting, did my mother-in-law nag me to bestow random gifts on people? No. If I went and bought a sweater did she say, when are you going to buy your husband a sweater? No. If I bought a scarf, did she ask me to buy her one? No. Don't even begin to understand why that should be different now, but evidently it is. I just don't get it.

Nature is a haunted house--but Art--is a house that tries to be haunted.
Emily Dickinson

Rachel wins the prize for "Best Answer"

Trish
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  4:53:29 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
Before I had kids, I could count on one hand the number of items I knitted for other people, and I have been knitting for about 30 years.

Of my current WIPs, 2 out of 3 are for me.

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2005 Stats: 3 WIPs, 15 FOs
Go to Top of Page

dragonridermom
Warming Up

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  08:56:53 AM  Show Profile Send dragonridermom a Private Message
I have to echo Boogies comments. Sometimes I selfishly make an item for a gift for someone else because I want to try a certain yarn or technique. I use the fact that it is a gift for someone else as justification for the additional purchase. So I selfishly choose the project, but then unselfishly give it away.
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  11:23:02 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dragonridermom

I have to echo Boogies comments. Sometimes I selfishly make an item for a gift for someone else because I want to try a certain yarn or technique. I use the fact that it is a gift for someone else as justification for the additional purchase. So I selfishly choose the project, but then unselfishly give it away.

Oh. Yeah. I'm making this lace sampler seamen's scarf from Blackberry Ridge because I just had to make it. I'm knitting it thinking, "this is fun but why am I making this?" Then it occurred to me I could give it to my cousin for Christmas. Now I have to decide if the triangle shawl I'm making is for me or my other cousin. We shall just have to see.

Anita
My completed projects
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  11:47:56 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
I generally knit most projects for myself... but lately it seems my two lovely girls are stealing my stuff.

I knit gifts for Christmas and birthdays. The rest of the time I knit for my kids, my home, or myself. Feel guilty? No way! Enjoy!

I too use the statement. I would love to sit down and teach you to make one...it's very easy once you learn the stitches. No one takes me up on it lately. I'm slowly teaching a couple of my co-workers, but no one else is interested. Oh well. They don't know what they're missing.

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

Two Sticks and a String
Permanent Resident

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  05:34:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Two Sticks and a String's Homepage Send Two Sticks and a String a Private Message
Being a relatively new knitter (since January), my first projects were all given to others. That is because I was knitting things, just to knit and to learn. I knitted scarfs, hats, pocketbooks, and sweaters. NOW, I am having the best time shopping just for the most perfect yarn to complete the most perfect project FOR ME!! And I don't feel guilty at all.
Dorene
Go to Top of Page

SR5Rfan
Permanent Resident

USA
1232 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  8:08:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit SR5Rfan's Homepage Send SR5Rfan a Private Message
I knit mostly for myself - mostly scarves - and don't wear 'em! I'm enjoying the knitting, even if I don't wear the end result. Some of the items that were given as gifts, I don't feel the recipients appreciated the time it took to make them. Ok - I know that is very grammatically incorrect, but oh well. You all know what I mean! My point is: knit for those who will really appreciate the gift - and if that is you, more power to you!

Beth
"I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like."
Go to Top of Page

DorsetMartin
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  03:05:28 AM  Show Profile Send DorsetMartin a Private Message
Well I'm fairly new to knitting, having started early this year. I've not made one thing for myself. I've made 2 baby blankets, a shawl for my daughter, a cowl in very expensive pashmina for a friend's 40th birthday. Other things I've made out of acyrlic to ease the cost & practice my craft which I'm giving to charity. I'm teaching knitting as an afterschool class this fall & I'm knitting examples from this great book I've found with projects to get the kids started. As for me, I'm waiting until find a pattern that screams ME. Then I'll choose the yarn.
You are correct though once friends knew I was knitting the orders came flying in..... No offers of providing the yarn or if I even mind knitting them something let alone the time or complexity of the project.
After all is said & done I am enjoying mastering this ancient craft.

You made a mistake.
It's homemade. Nobody's purlfect in this world!
Go to Top of Page

luv2knit944
Permanent Resident

USA
1789 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  03:40:42 AM  Show Profile Send luv2knit944 a Private Message
At least someone appreciate your work,and wears what you knitted.

YOU!

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

becka always
Permanent Resident

USA
1959 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  04:35:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit becka always's Homepage Send becka always a Private Message
this month will be the 1 year anniversary of knitting and i have made well over 50 or 60 projects if not more (not big ones, naturally, and remember, I am disabled & home all of the time, so I knit alot)I could count on 1 hand the # of items I had made for myself...until I started socks, now I have several pairs of socks...but that's still it...and people r still lining up with do this or that for me....well I've made a project list, and on this list are projects for ME and I hope to get these done well before Christmas bc I would love to knit Christmas gifts again this year bc it was a favorite last year (and .... face it, this year, they will be better bc my skills will have improved)....I said all of this and MEAN IT....well, MEANT IT...until I just found out YESTERDAY that another nephew (brother's child, not sister's as last one was) is getting married...when?...IN JULY!!!! And he will expect an afghan bc a certain family member has already blabbed that that's what I'm doing now for wedding gifts....can u believe?!...I have a VERY IMPORTANT project in the works with a deadline now and i just picked out some beautiful sock yarn from simplysockyarn.com that I am ordering today to make my 1st pair of socks out of the book SOCKS SOCKS SOCKS that my sweet, sweet man surprised me with....so...yep...projects r going to be for me...wedding gifts are going to be very late!!! be different had I some notice...but...such is life...don't u all agree?!

Addicted to the Knit
Becka Always
Go to Top of Page

jel50@sbcglobal.net

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  05:15:31 AM  Show Profile Send jel50@sbcglobal.net a Private Message
Absolutely not!!!! I have been knitting since I was a teen-ager (many centuries ago). Last year I noticed I had NOTHING I had made, not even a pair of socks. My son gets one or two sweaters a year. My daughter-in-law gets one or two sweaters a year. My granddaughter gets two or three sweaters a year. Other family members and friends get at least one knitted thing a year.Is there a pattern here? I have now resolved that every other pair o socks is mine (unless, of course, there's a birthday or Christmas. I will do at least one complicated thing with wonderful yarn a year for ME - maybe more. It's about time.
Jamie
Go to Top of Page

typingN
Chatty Knitter

145 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  05:59:25 AM  Show Profile Send typingN a Private Message
We really do have to make something for ourselves to give us the love that we are trying to pass onto other.

I am itching to get my fingers on some beautiful yarn that I bought, one skein to try first as a scarf. If I like the feel and the looks (and I am pretty sure that I will), I will go back and get enough to make a nice sweater for next winter.

Recently all of my knitting has been for charitable cause--Relay for Life and Shawl Ministry.

J
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  06:30:14 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message
HI All, I never knitted anything for myself. Its so bad that when I shop for yarn my family tell me what they like. I do have a sister that travel Alot and brings me yarn from all over the world. So I guess we have to take the good with the bad.

Donna watkins
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.