Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 Am I selfish?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

norahwillett@quidnunc.net
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  09:45:21 AM  Show Profile Send norahwillett@quidnunc.net a Private Message
Nothing wrong with knitting for yourself! You need clothes, afghans, etc. too as much as other people do. In the old days when people had to make all their clothes, they had to make things for themselves too, as well as their families, or they wouldn't have had anything to wear, blankets for their beds or whatever.

And if your sister wouldn't wear that shawl anyway, by all means keep it!!
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  10:08:34 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
I agree norah. And Donna, knit things for yourself with some of the lovely yarn your sister brings you. In fact, ask her to bring extra so you can have something for yourself. It's not a sin and it's not selfish a bit. I will now knit all my own socks, because they feel and fit so much better, but I've always knit sweaters for me along with many sweaters for family. It's quite alright to enjoy and wear your own knitwear, and without any guilt whatsoever.

lella [img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]
http://zippiknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levis_mama
Chatty Knitter

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  11:58:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit levis_mama's Homepage Send levis_mama a Private Message
It's not selfish at all. I've been knitting some things for myself, but those are the projects that I never seem to complete. The items for others are the ones that get finished. It's a little frustrating b/c there are a ton of projects I want to do for myself for which I have the yarn. I can't figure out which one to do first, so I end up working on someone else's project.

I started a shawl for a friend who is going through a rough time, but I've been considering keeping it b/c I really like how it's turning out. ~~~guilt~~~ Then the shawl became such a beast and now I'm afraid all that negative energy is attached to it. It doesn't help that I really like the colors (they're discontinued, of course). I'm considering what to do while the shawl is in time out.

StephanieR
Would someone please get me something deep-fried and smothered in chocolate? --Fairy Godmother

http://stitchandkvetch.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jrwhiskey
Gabber Extraordinaire

378 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  2:42:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit jrwhiskey's Homepage Send jrwhiskey a Private Message
Before I learned to knit I crochet alot for other people - mainly lace items (doiles, bowls, cafe curtains, table centers, etc.) I wish now that I would have made more things for myself... at least taken pictures even! Since I learned to knit, the majority has been for myself, however the last two Christmas seasons I've made items for presents, but they've always been duplicates of something I'd already made for myself.
I don't think it's selfish at all - I love seeing the things that I've made around the house or hanging in my closet.

Julie in central MD
Go to Top of Page

Marsha
New Pal

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  5:03:10 PM  Show Profile Send Marsha a Private Message
It's the best promotion of knitting - seeing someone in a handknitted garment and finding out they knit it themselves, I find that so inspiring. Presently I rarely knit for myself, but I have started out many times but end up giving it away to an admiring someone, but there was one time a girl I worked with complimented me on a pullover I'd done and actually wanted to learn to make the same sweater for herself and it was a perfect time for her as she was going through a bitter divorce in fact her mother told me what a help she felt it had been for her. She made a cozy fold over roll neck chunky wool pullover that she subsequently wore on a trip to Ireland, almost in every picture there she was smiling away in her own handknit sweater, it was a beautiful experience for me. I really felt good about the whole thing. Was she selfish to knit for herself? Of course not.

Marsha in Owen Sound
Go to Top of Page

debcjean
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  9:44:37 PM  Show Profile Send debcjean a Private Message
Definitely Not - I too was someone that looked around one day and discovered I had nothing of my own that I had knitted. Since then I knit for myself only. Once in a while I will give someone a pair of socks but not very often. I am happy to teach others to knit so they can knit for themselves or others. I don't see anyone knitting for me!!!! If that is selfish - then call me selfish!
Go to Top of Page

ShannonM
Gabber Extraordinaire

352 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  08:33:55 AM  Show Profile Send ShannonM a Private Message
I often feel guilty for knitting more for myself than others. I try to remember that a handknitted item is usually only fully appreciated by the knitter so I shouldn't feel guilty for a gift to myself when I know I'll appreciate it the most.
Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  10:33:39 AM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
No guilt here! I knit for myself because I want stylish sweaters and scarves and I enjoy knitting.
Go to Top of Page

Stitching Fool
Chatty Knitter

196 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  11:46:06 AM  Show Profile Send Stitching Fool a Private Message
My vote for best answer: the person who said that when they BUY a garment, are they supposed to give it away and when they cook dinner, are they supposed to give it to the next door neighbors. No, no, no. I've given away some of the first few scarves I made for fun/learning because I really had bought the yarn to try something new & experience a new fiber (great teacher presents). Anyway, I was dying to branch out of scarves a few months ago and made the building blocks baby blanket from Yarn Girls because I had a worthy recipient: my soon-to-be-born any day now baby niece. My sister-in-law is the type that treasures handmade gifts, so its a perfect fit.

Other than making some other things for my daughter, son, and husband (I would also include parents/grandparents here), I knit for me, me, me. Who else is necessarily going to love the yarn/style I've chosen? Why should I want it sitting in their drawer when I could really be enjoying it? Conversely, I did knit a beautiful ribbon scarf recently with yarn I was saving for myself for one of my son's favorite teachers. When he said, "she's really going to like that", I felt great. Now let's hope she really does!

Knit it and enjoy wearing it, people. Life is too short.
Marie
Go to Top of Page

Stitching Fool
Chatty Knitter

196 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  11:50:04 AM  Show Profile Send Stitching Fool a Private Message
and another thing: how many ugly sweaters, scarves, etc. have we seen worn by people who've said, "Aunt Tilly made this, so I have to let her see me wear it". Don't be that Aunt Tilly.
Go to Top of Page

Poipill
New Pal

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  1:46:24 PM  Show Profile Send Poipill a Private Message
I soo envy you. I'm the exact opposite! I keep pushing off working on projects for me to get stuff done for other people, even if the occassion is far away...
Go to Top of Page

TheNakedKnitter
Chatty Knitter

282 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  6:26:52 PM  Show Profile Send TheNakedKnitter a Private Message
I feel a sense of pride when I wear something I made - and on the darkest days I find nothing comforts me more.

I think you should keep on knitting for yourself. You will eventually want to knit for others again.

I do feel guilty on ocassion because I come from a family of knitters and have been the recipient of many a knitted item. Now that I'm more confident in my skills, I'm slowly making gifts for them.

To ease my guilt, I have bought them yarn

Nicole
Go to Top of Page

vrelf@earthlink.net

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  10:09:41 PM  Show Profile Send vrelf@earthlink.net a Private Message
I feel that one of the best persons to knit for is myself because I know that I will like it, it will fit and if I consider my budget - it saves me the most when I make a 'dressy outfits' because they are the most expensive to buy. I really value what I make for myself! About half of the things I make are for me.

Virginia Relf
Go to Top of Page

Stitching Fool
Chatty Knitter

196 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  08:11:19 AM  Show Profile Send Stitching Fool a Private Message
Buying yarn for the knitters we love is what I do. Most specifically for my fav sister-in-law who just went through a divorce and I (very ironic since I've only been knitting a few months) re-connected her to knitting and its been a most healing therapy for her. I buy her yarn very often to help her in her therapy, $finances, and many times just to ease my guilt at yet MORE YARN PURCHASES!!

Let her make something FOR HERSELF that she really loves and feels good about.

Marie
Go to Top of Page

SoCalKnitter
New Pal

Ireland
31 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  10:33:01 AM  Show Profile Send SoCalKnitter a Private Message
As a knitter since February, all my projects have been for others BUT they've had deadlines on them (new baby, birthday, etc.) so it kept me moving along and finishing each project. It's also been a way to try out different types of yarn and stitches to see what I like. My current project is finally for me, and I'm glad I didn't work the first few for myself or I would have been disappointed because of my learning curve. I still have other birthdays coming up, so I see myself doing some more projects for others, but overall I began knitting so I could create the clothes/accessories that I like to wear.

--SoCalKnitter
"It is easy to say how we love new friends, and what we think of them, but words can never trace out all the fibers that knit us to the old." George Eliot
Go to Top of Page

westcoastchica
Seriously Hooked

Canada
788 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  4:17:43 PM  Show Profile Send westcoastchica a Private Message
I mostly knit for myself and I definitely don't feel bad about it! It seems silly (to me) to go through a lot of trouble making something for someone else unless you're SURE that they're going to love it and appreciate it. If I knit for other people, I usually let them pick out the yarn (or at least the colour) and get their input on patterns. Takes out a lot of the guesswork. About the only person that I knit for without consultation or hesitation is my sister, because I know EXACTLY what her style is.

I am looking forward to making my friends scarves for Christmas though. They all seem pretty enthousiastic about my knitting, so I know they'd appreciate it. And I've been eyeing their wardrobe carefully to make sure that I pick a colour that they'll actually wear!

http://sapphyreknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

marol_l@yahoo.com

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  10:36:44 AM  Show Profile Send marol_l@yahoo.com a Private Message
Mothers-in-law nag because you don't do what they do (or should do) and they want to make sure you remember that. However, make what you like, keep what you like, give what you want to, and remind your mother-in-law that if giving is so important to her, then she really should take up a hobby like yours so she can give to her heart's content. You could even tell her that you would give more gifts if you could afford more yarn and if she wants to buy the yarn, you will make more things to give away. It's a thought.
Go to Top of Page

MindfulKnitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

445 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  1:26:00 PM  Show Profile Send MindfulKnitter a Private Message
I was thinking about this topic earlier today. It seems to me that it isn't such a bad thing to make something for ourselves. I don't think that is selfish. That is saying to ourselves, we are worthy of a gift made from our own hands. If we spend all our time giving away everything we make, we might become a little resentful and deprived ourselves. That would spoil the joy of gift-giving. I think being selfish is when someone always thinks of "me, me, me". That is something entirely different. What do you think?

I like typingN's opening statement: "We really do have to make something for ourselves to give us the love that we are trying to pass onto other." I think that is very true.

Nicole, I agree with you. It's good to feel a sense of pride and I think what you said about on the darkest days, nothing comforts you more, is very true.

Anyway, it's nice to have an exchange of ideas. Everyone here has made many good points and it's been interesting listening.

Remember, you are worthy! Happy knitting!

Best wishes,
Patty and Jennifer

To know even one life has breathed easier because you lived . . . this is to have succeeded.
Go to Top of Page

ccoral
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  2:11:31 PM  Show Profile Send ccoral a Private Message
Actually, I usually keep the first of any new pattern or project, take notes of what worked and what didn't, and what I would change. Friends who then see my latest project then put in their requests...
Go to Top of Page

IsleoClare@aol.com

USA
Posted - 06/13/2005 :  4:03:21 PM  Show Profile Send IsleoClare@aol.com a Private Message
No reason to feel guilty! It's great to treat yourself! Clare
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.95 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.