Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Is this considered a shawl collar?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  3:37:39 PM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
I understand what a shawl collar looks like on a pullover, but are these cardigans considered to have shawl collars? Is there another name for it? I'm looking at two of the cardigans in the link below--Griffin (on the left second from bottom) and Walton (on the bottom right).
http://www.theknittinggarden.com/ja-magjb20.htm

I saw a stunning cardigan sweater on a woman the other night that was lace and had a ribbed collar like these, but the front bands were equally as wide as the collar, sort of like Debbie Bliss' pattern, Lara:
http://www.theknittinggarden.com/db-alpacasilkbk.htm (on the right second from bottom)
but only with the fold over at the neck that the Jaeger patterns have.

I'm trying to play with Sweater Wizard a bit to design something similar, but now I'm hung up on the question of whether or not that would be called a shawl collar....

Nature is a haunted house--but Art--is a house that tries to be haunted.
Emily Dickinson

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1926 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  3:58:46 PM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message
In my experience, Griffin and Walton both have shawl collars. Griffin is exactly my idea of a shawl collar, and Walton is a little thinner, though definitely in the same category. They are beautiful, thanks for showing that link, I liked all those sweaters. Chayah
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  5:30:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
A shawl collar on a cardigan is like a lapel with no notches. Generally, the collar and the lapel are one unit that folds back to make the lapel.

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  09:59:59 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
Great, that's what I thought. Thanks!

Nature is a haunted house--but Art--is a house that tries to be haunted.
Emily Dickinson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?