Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Xmas day in NZ
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2002 :  2:10:50 PM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
It's 10am Xmas morning here and I am just taking a spell from the kitchen and waiting for everyone to arrive.It is a beautiful day over here today.They are predicting 26 degrees(not sure what that is in American terms)so it is going to be perfect for the barbeque.As normal we're also waiting for the teenagers to get out of bed
Marjorie

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2002 :  2:48:37 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Merry Christmas to you Marjorie and your family. As you know, I am in San Francisco and I can tell you its not all that warm but at least its dry. Your weather sounds good for your barbecue. Don't worry about the teenagers getting up. They will when they get hungry. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

pqpatch
Seriously Hooked

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2002 :  07:55:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit pqpatch's Homepage Send pqpatch a Private Message
Merry Christmas Marjorie and to all who take a few minutes today to check the boards.

I am in the States in Michigan and we are being womped by a huge snow storm. My DH is valantly trying to keep ahead of it.

Waiting for my daughter to arrive to open gifts and then we are planning a nice meal.

Blessings to All!!!

Patty

Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2002 :  07:22:55 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
Hi Marjorie!!!
Happy Christmas to you and your family this year. The weather sounds like it is gorgeous, up around 72 degrees faranheit for us, which is very late spring weather here in Virginia.

We actually had 3 inches of snow on Christmas and that hasn't happened in quite a few years around here. I shoveled the walks and driveway, made a beautiful roast for dinner, and opened so many presents with my family, we all ended up in bed around 9 pm!

Marjorie, are you familiar with Dame Edna? My husband got 2 tickets to see him/her at the National Theater in Washington, D.C. in January. I adore Dame Edna and it was a wonderful surprise.

Prawns or steaks on the barby for Christmas?

Love and peace,
Rebecca

...found easily in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia...
Go to Top of Page

mokumegane
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2002 :  09:27:40 AM  Show Profile Send mokumegane a Private Message
Merry Christmas Marjorie! That must be much warmer than our 35 degrees! Man, just cold enough to still rain! Anyway, I hope you had a great barbecue! We could never do that here, just for the fact of all the rain!

amanda

Laugh- it keeps you sane!
Go to Top of Page

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2002 :  12:17:13 PM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
Thank you for your Xmas wishes.I hope you all had a lovely time too.The weather over there sounds really Xmasy.I am used to the warm festive season but have a yearning for a cold one sometime.Most people over here still have the traditional meal at lunch time but for the last couple of years I've rebelled as it means that the men folk cook the meat and I'm not in the kitchen so much.We had marinated steak on the barbie,new potatoes,rice salad,green salad and home made garlic bread.For desert we had sherry triffle,choc mousse(which my daughter made and excels instrawberry and raspberry fruit salad and my mum bought over a hugh creamed sponge.
My son and daughters boyfriend ended up cooking the barbeque food as my husband ended up being rushed to hospital on the 23rd after a major seizure.He has never had one before and they are mystified as to what bought it on.He's fine now but has hurt his back quite badly due to it so wasn't able to stand to cook at the barbie.He still enjoyed his Xmas though and loved all the attention.
Marjorie

Go to Top of Page

kiwi
Chatty Knitter

New Zealand
162 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2002 :  1:48:13 PM  Show Profile Send kiwi a Private Message
Hi Marjorie,
Sounds like you had a great Christmas. Sorry to hear about your husband's seizure. I hope everything is alright. At least it happened before Christmas!
My husband and I both (we each have one English parent) come from that 'traditional' background and we're going to have to get used to 2 family meals when we move back next year!
It sounds like you had wonderful weather. In our part of Virginia we had sleet, snow, freezing rain and just rain on Christmas Eve (it was just above freezing so nothing stuck). However it dried out for Christmas Day as the storm headed northwards and dumped 3 feet of snow on New York state and New England. Great weather for staying in.
We had dinner with friends and took Christmas (Figgy) pudding for dessert. It was a big hit, particularly my mother's brandy sauce! However I think our biggest hit this year has been mince pies. We've made 5 dozen!

Season's Greetings to all, a Happy New Year and Happy Knitting!
Penny

Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2002 :  9:38:25 PM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
How smart you were to realize that many of us would be interested in a Christmas so much different than the US one! Hope they find out the cause of DH's sz quickly and it gets under control. And Penny - weren't folks surprised to find out that your mince pies were little ones, not the same size as American apple pies, for instance? I never realized the traditional ones are small until I went Christmas shopping in Cardiff with my pal who lives there and we did tea at an old church in the downtown shopping area. I made a perfect pig of myself and a bit of a fool too oohing and aahing over their tiny size, and was informed that was the way it always was! So now I do them like that - and they're a great hit here, too.

lemons of missouri

Go to Top of Page

kiwi
Chatty Knitter

New Zealand
162 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2002 :  06:19:16 AM  Show Profile Send kiwi a Private Message
Lemons,
You're quite right. People were amazed that they were little individual pies!
It has been just as fun for us learning about American Christmas. It's always nice to find out what others do. Even some of the Christmas carols are different.
Penny

Go to Top of Page

ginny
Chatty Knitter

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2002 :  7:32:12 PM  Show Profile Send ginny a Private Message
Hi Marjorie,

I also enjoyed hearing about your Christmas in NZ.

Here in Lafayette, IN, we had 8-10 inches of snow. It began falling on Christmas Eve and we had about 3 inches on the ground when we came out of church. At midnight, it was beautiful with the snow all over the ground and the evergreen trees. The sky was so bright that it looked like it wasn't dark yet.

On Christmas Day morning, I went out cross-country skiing at the Purdue South Golf Course, which has some nice hills for skiing and sledding. The snow was like powder and that's the best kind for skiing!

I sure hope your husband is feeling better!

ginny

Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2002 :  8:01:18 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Just norht of NYC at my mother's we had 7 inches of snow Christmas day. My mother fretted all morning over whether the company was coming (her sister and her family. They came, one son and wife left before dinner so they could drive north and get home. The rest stayed to dinner, then couldn't get home! So we had to find beds and bedding for 5 extra people. It was actually fun, and fortunately my sister lives next door so 3 people slept there, my aunt and uncle took my mother's bed and my mother slept on the couch.

Now I am back home in Virginia, where it looks like they only had a little snow.

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=977585&uid=619962&members=1
Go to Top of Page

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2002 :  9:27:59 PM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
Thank you for your good wishes about my husband.He is doing really well and today we managed a short walk on a pier at our local beach.He is going to the physio which is doing him wonders and we are just waiting for an appointment for an MRI scan just to make sure everything is as it should be.He can't drive for a year but that is no problem as we live close to his work and because he is very much a sportsman is used to biking anyway.Apparently it is not unknown for people to have a seizure out of the blue and maybe never have another one so we are not letting it get us down
Rebecca I have seen Dame Edna and love her shows.She used to be on the telly quite regularly but haven't seen her for a while now.You'll really enjoy the show I'm sure and how nice to get tickets given to you.
Your xmas sounds lovely with all the snow and Ginny cross country ski-ing sounds just wonderful.We get the odd bit of snow occasionally in the winter in Christchurch but our mountains get alot and you can get some really good ski-ing in.I've never tried it but my children both have.
I have become an aunty again today and have been out to get some lime green double knit wool to make a hooded jacket and mittens.I'm off to start it now as I have been dying to do baby knitting again after a very long break.
Marjorie

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2002 :  02:03:29 AM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Marjorie: Congratulations on the new wee one in your family. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2002 :  08:07:02 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
For those of you who are Dame Edna fans, she/he has a role in the upcoming movie Nicholas Nickleby, playing the wife of Nathan Lane's character. Now there's a pair for you...!

lemons of missouri

Go to Top of Page

sandra2340@surfbest.net
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  4:36:06 PM  Show Profile Send sandra2340@surfbest.net a Private Message
Good day Marjorie - I was reading all your mail and was planning a reply when almost at the end, you mentioned Christchurch. I was born there on Jan. 6, 1958. People are amazed that I was born in the summer and it's in January! My grandparents lived on Hoon Hay Road. My mother has strolled all of us in a pram through town and the floral clock is a very vivid memory. I have my "history" posted on the knitting heritage link. Briefly, I now live in the states and was only 6 1/2 when I was rudely made an expat due to my father. He was a missionary there, starting on the north island, spending a lot of time in Auckland, married my mother, had 3 children and then we went on holiday to the states and he (and only he) decided he wanted to stay. Only made it back once since then, so expensive. My grandmother had passed away the year before, but I got to take home her needles and knitting books and even bought some wool at the store she frequented. The owner said he even remembered me when I was little. Some of my relatives have made it over here for the odd visit through the years. I sure do miss the good marmite. I've got my daughter hooked on marmite, but can't get her to do anything with knitting yet. She knows how, that's all, but she's young so I hold out hope. I have 3 brothers so she will be the only one to carry on the tradition. I hope everything will be okay with your husband. Have a good New Year. Ta Ta Sandra
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  4:57:19 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Sandra, What is Marmite?

Zola
Go to Top of Page

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  6:21:36 PM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
Hello Sandra.
Lovely to meet you.It's a small world isn't it?When I was in my teens I used to live in a small street off Hoon hay Road--Samuel street.Do you know it?We now live on the opposite side of town.There have been alot of changes in Christchurch over the years.When I was a child it seemed so dead in town (especially during the weekends when everything shut)but that has changed and there is alot more to do although the young people still say that it is too quiet.We have alot more bars and eating places and shops are open 7 days a week.We still have all our lovely old english stone buildings in the city so it hasn't lost any of it's character.
Marmite, Zola is a black yeast extract that is used mainly as a spread on bread or toast and is an aquired taste so they say.It is a savoury spread and if put on thickly can (to me anyway) have a bit of a bitter bite to it.It's hard to describe taste but that's the best I can do.Most NZers when they go overseas find that this is one of the foods they really miss.
I could send you some over Sandra if you find it hard to get.
My husband is definetly on the mend again and going in for his scan in two weeks.He's missing not being able to drive though.He has to smile sweetly at me now
Marjorie

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  7:03:55 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Marjorie:

I am delighted to hear that Russell is feeling much better and his MRI is scheduled. You know I am thinking positively about all of this. Beverley

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live!"

Bev
Go to Top of Page

liebekatja
Chatty Knitter

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  11:19:55 PM  Show Profile Send liebekatja a Private Message
Sandra,

How funny that Marmite and Christmas came up in the same thread! My sis (studying at St. Andrews, Scotland this year) brought my mom all Scottish food for her stocking-- Cadbury, Irn-Bru, Weetabix, and Marmite! She has been having the Marmite on her toast every morning and is sort of aquiring a taste... I didn't think it was possible to like it as an adult if you didn't eat it as a child (sort of like Americans and root beer).

Anyway, best wishes and Happy New Year to all!
Katie

Go to Top of Page

kiwi
Chatty Knitter

New Zealand
162 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2003 :  06:34:02 AM  Show Profile Send kiwi a Private Message
Hmm - I think vegemite is even better. On hot toast every morning. We have been kept well stocked by family and friends! BTW I was interested to discover recently that British marmite and NZ marmite taste different! My MIL (who is English) and SIL (now living in England) just did a 'swap' via my SIL's husband who had to fly home to NZ recently to defend his PhD thesis!
On the subject of acquiring the taste - I know of a German guy who acquired a tasted after he took a jar back to Germany (he'd lived in NZ a year) and made all his friends taste it. Apparently he finished off what they couldn't eat and in doing so decided he quite liked it!
Majorie - that was a great description - I've never been able to describe it to people's satisfaction. It usually ends up with me promising to bring some in - 'show and tell'!!
Penny

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.98 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?