Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Pakucho Organic Cotton - what to make
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

F1FAN
Warming Up

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  5:40:14 PM  Show Profile Send F1FAN a Private Message
Elann will have the Pakucho Organic cotton on sale tomorrow. I'd really like to try this. Has anyone used it before? What is your opinion and should I be concerned about the shrinkage? Are there any good patterns out there that would be suitable for this - I was thinking of maybe the Hourglass Sweater.

umbaba
Seriously Hooked

USA
693 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  7:52:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit umbaba's Homepage Send umbaba a Private Message
I carry this lovely yarn and the patterns that are made for it are the only ones that I am familiar with. It does shrink. I also made the Cable-8 sleeveless top from IK and it turned out great!

...as soon as I finish this row

www.abundantyarn.com
Go to Top of Page

TwistedLoops
Warming Up

69 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  04:08:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit TwistedLoops's Homepage Send TwistedLoops a Private Message
I found this free pattern for it yesterday...
http://www.knitnet.com/free/aug04/page5.htm
Go to Top of Page

Stacey14
Permanent Resident

1120 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  04:48:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stacey14's Homepage Send Stacey14 a Private Message
I like that one!! I'd really like to get some of this yarn - tempting.....

http://onandofftheneedles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Carie
Chatty Knitter

249 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  07:31:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carie's Homepage Send Carie a Private Message
I got some from Elann as part of their monthly newsletter. (that was my first "issue," and I can see already I'll be waiting with baited breath every month). I knitted up a swatch and it was soooo soft and nice. I think you will be pleased.

Maybe you could find a pattern that is a little loose so shrinkage won't be such a factor.

Carie

My name is Carie and I'm a yarnaholic.

(***hi carie***)
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  1:19:12 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
I ordered enough to make a long sleeved cabled sweater in the natural and the forrest. I really wanted some of the cafe or chocolate, but didn't have the funds. Now I see I received my 50 dollar cert....I have to go get one more color.

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  3:55:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
I got some avocado, enough to make a short sleeved t-shirt and I am contemplating going back for seconds, but then that's always been an issue with me.

Dee
~Licensed2Knit
www.Kneatles.com
Go to Top of Page

F1FAN
Warming Up

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  6:17:31 PM  Show Profile Send F1FAN a Private Message
Thanks ndsprout for the link to the free pattern. What a cute top!
So I ordered some Sage and will probably go back for more even though I had hoped to control my yarn purchases. I just can't help myself. Is there a Yarnoholics Anonymous
available?
Go to Top of Page

Lumberjill
Chatty Knitter

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  9:59:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lumberjill's Homepage Send Lumberjill a Private Message
I ordered some, too. I originally wanted to get Berroco Pronto (to use single stranded in place of the doubled Pakucho), since I fell in love with this top when I first picked up the Interweave issue. But I waited too long to buy my Pronto from Elann, got one of the print colors instead, and then realized I really didn't want a printed cabled bulky thing. A bulky cabled sleeveless top will be enough on me, thanksverymuch!

So needless to say, got the yarn to make it today. Siiigh. At least when I looked at my past purchases on Elann it had been a few months since my last "for me" purchase!

--Laura, who now that she is doing Weight Watchers seems to have lost control of her YARN diet!

http://laurakeet.blogspot.com/
Be careful or your face will stay that way.
Go to Top of Page

Stacey14
Permanent Resident

1120 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  04:33:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stacey14's Homepage Send Stacey14 a Private Message
Dee - which tshirt are you making? I was contemplating the Tshirt from MagKnits, but thinking it may be to heavy weight wise in 100% cotton....and also the Chevron Tank looks nice and it is already done in Blue Sky 100% Organic cotton, so that is a possibility....not sure if I can get the gauge though. But, it is in ribbed, so it may work...(can you tell I'm trying to talk myself into it??)

My Blog:On And Off the Needles
Go to Top of Page

mands1229
Chatty Knitter

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  06:32:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit mands1229's Homepage  Send mands1229 a Yahoo! Message Send mands1229 a Private Message
Although I simply cannot buy any more yarn right now I am waiting patiently to make this sweater set and think the Pakucho would be a good sub.

http://www.hapagirl.com/knit/patterns/

http://kyknitter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2655 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  06:53:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
I am on a no-yarn pledge right now but I weakened yesterday when this came up... at that price I couldn't pass it up. I don't know what I'm going to make with it either (didn't we have a thread a while back about yarn-related behavior and PMS? I better look at the calendar before I go near any yarn shops!) I do like that tank pattern, ndsprout, thanks for posting it!

Luann

Knit and let knit!
Go to Top of Page

englishtch
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  08:07:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit englishtch's Homepage Send englishtch a Private Message
I bought the Sage and Vicuna to make a plain pullover with a rolled neck. Although, I always love cables, so maybe a few cables on the front and down the sleeves. Anyway, I couldn't pass this up as these are my favorite colors and the kids I teach will think it's cool that the cotton grows in those colors - there are cotton farmers near us, although strictly the standard.

My blog: www.soonerbeknitting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  08:45:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
Stacey,

I haven't made a final decision but here are the contenders.

http://secure.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Oat+Couture+Leaflet+EK705+%2D+Tropical+Tee&Cat=&ProductType=4&Count=5

http://secure.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Knitting+Pure+%26+Simple+Leaflet+0221+%2D+Neckdown+Summer+Cardigan&Cat=&ProductType=4&Count=5

http://secure.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Just+One+More+Row+Diamond+Patch+Sweater&Cat=&ProductType=4&Count=5

Today I am leaning toward the Neck Down Summer Cardigan, yesterday it was the Diamond Patch and the previous day the Oat Couture T.

Dee
~Licensed2Knit
www.Kneatles.com
Go to Top of Page

Stacey14
Permanent Resident

1120 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  09:01:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stacey14's Homepage Send Stacey14 a Private Message
Those look nice - I like the Oat Couture one!

My Blog:On And Off the Needles
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  7:48:44 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Dee, Love all three patterns...I have all three. We must have the same taste. I only have made the Tropical Tee out of a shiney cotton. Fits great and I get many compliments when I wear it to work. I did adjust it a bit. I used a much smaller needle and adjusted the pattern. I like my knitted t-shirts in a very very small gauge most of the time. I am making the same pattern w/ some on Jens hand dyed silk yarn. It's going to be an awesome top.

I went back and bought some of the tan colored natural cotton. I was just wondering if this would be good yarn to use for one of the rugs I plan on knitting. I think I should order either Vanilla or natural and dye it in the colors I want. Anyone used this yarn? Is it strong enough for a rug that will be in a heavy traffic foyer at the front of my house? I think I want to use the natural and one of the greens...probably the forrest...but then I would like a peachy brickish color for a stripe here and there to match the tile in my entry. What type of dyes do you use for cotton yarn?

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

Falco
Chatty Knitter

132 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  07:03:23 AM  Show Profile Send Falco a Private Message
Does anyone know if Pakucho Organic Cotton would make a good baby blanket? The pattern is a aran type made with wool(Pakucho has the same gauge). I was thinking a light weight summer blanket would be nice. Blue Sky Organic has a pattern done in their yarn, and thats what gave me the idea of using Pakucho instead of wool.

denise
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  07:55:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Hi Denise,

When I was knitting up the swatches for the review of Pakucho, a baby blanket is precisely where my thoughts were headed. I think this would be lovely. As long as people don't mind that it's not bright pink, yellow, or blue. The muted colors are still beautiful, and it would be very soft and supple. Plus it doesn't have any chemicals or nasty stuff.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Crey
Seriously Hooked

827 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  08:04:49 AM  Show Profile Send Crey a Private Message
Oh - I caved in and bought some forest and chocolate - I'm thinking about a short sleeved sweater or tank - Crey

"Water that is too pure has no fish." -Ts'ai Ken T'an
Go to Top of Page

Falco
Chatty Knitter

132 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  08:31:01 AM  Show Profile Send Falco a Private Message
Thank you Clara!
I read your review and think this yarn would be perfect. I really prefer the more muted colors for babies anyway. I think baby sized afghans are also nice for lap throws. Now just to pick the color.

denise
Go to Top of Page

knit_cookie
Gabber Extraordinaire

388 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  1:26:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit knit_cookie's Homepage Send knit_cookie a Private Message
I'm interested in ordering some, but I'm not sure what color. Elann says that the colors intensify with washing. Does anybody have any experience with this? The greens look too light in the skeins, but I might like them more if they deepened.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?