Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Pakucho Organic Cotton - what to make
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ikate
Warming Up

61 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  1:29:39 PM  Show Profile Send ikate a Private Message
I just bought this in avocado and natural for this baby blanket.

I've been aching to make this pattern for some time now and have an expecting friend who would appreicate/love the organic nature of the yarn. Plus, I thought wool would be too much for a double knit and I just can't seem to find an arcrylic or blend that I liked and could afford 800 yards of.

I am so excited. Now I just have to finish my other 3 projects so I can start a new one!

iKate
Go to Top of Page

gibsongirl
Seriously Hooked

965 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  1:42:03 PM  Show Profile Send gibsongirl a Private Message
iKate,

How much of each color did you buy for the Hoover pattern? We must be on the same wavelength, because I was thinking of knitting the same pattern in a green and natural color combination, too!

-gibsongirl
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  09:09:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
Oops, I did it again...I just double dipped and bought enough to knit up the Elann suggested ML cardi.

Dee
~Licensed2Knit
www.Kneatles.com
Go to Top of Page

ikate
Warming Up

61 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  06:43:16 AM  Show Profile Send ikate a Private Message
gibsongirl -

I got 4 Avocado (for the contrast color) and 6 Natural (for the main color). I will be knitting "Variation 2" of the pattern - the striped one.

iKate
Go to Top of Page

aefost
Chatty Knitter

126 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  07:15:53 AM  Show Profile Send aefost a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Licensed2Cook

Oops, I did it again...I just double dipped and bought enough to knit up the Elann suggested ML cardi.

Dee, I'm not sure which pattern you're referring to. Do you have a link? What does ML stand for? Thanks!
Alison
Go to Top of Page

soapgirl
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  08:21:09 AM  Show Profile Send soapgirl a Private Message
Hi! Just ordered some in forest - need a shrug pattern, any suggestions...
Thanks

she who dies with the largest stash wins!
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  08:53:20 AM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
OK, so I'm dense....

I'm considering using this yarn to make a lap throw for our local hospital's "Simple Acts of Kindness" programme that provides throws and shawls to cancer patients. I've got a pattern picked out, but I want to machine wash/dry this throw (because I've got to assume that the receiver will do the same!). If this shrinks length-wise, should I just adjust the length of the throw to be 15% bigger than I normally would make it?? I wouldn't want the width to shrink too much, but length is easy, especially for a lap throw (or as I call it...a "knee rug"!!).

Mari

Don't confuse knowledge with wisdom. With one you make a living, with the other you make a life.
Go to Top of Page

Suzann
Seriously Hooked

USA
869 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  5:41:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Suzann's Homepage Send Suzann a Private Message
I sent mine back Loved the colors, loved the softness, but hated knitting with cotton. Maybe someday when I am more skilled. I was down to a size 5 needle and it was stretching as I knit it. And the whole thing just felt sort of dead. But hey that is just me.
Sent it back and I will save the refund for when Elann gets in it's new merino or Bryspun cirs. So all is not lost

Making cables is like making love. There is a lot of foreplay before you get to the deed
http://www15.brinkster.com/lyricalarmy/lace/lace.htm
Go to Top of Page

knit_cookie
Gabber Extraordinaire

388 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  7:11:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit knit_cookie's Homepage Send knit_cookie a Private Message
Has anybody washed theirs yet? I'm still curious about the claim of the color intensifying with washing. How green are the greens? The avocado looks green on my monitor, but it looks very brown in my Interweave Knits magazine, and somewhere in between in the Elann newsletter.

Go to Top of Page

Two Sticks and a String
Permanent Resident

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2005 :  7:29:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Two Sticks and a String's Homepage Send Two Sticks and a String a Private Message
I haven't the foggiest notion what I will be making. But I ordered 2 colors and will decide later.
OMG - How my stash is building

Dorene

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away." -Unknown
Go to Top of Page

KimberBaldwin
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2005 :  11:30:17 AM  Show Profile Send KimberBaldwin a Private Message
I tested the shrinkage on two 4 by 4 inch swatches done in stockinette for sage and natural (in case the two different fibers shrank differently). I washed them on the warm cycle and dried them on the medium setting and got 20% shrinkage in length on both and less than 5% shrinkage in width (hard to tell but it seemed a little smaller width-wise). I am using it to design a baby blanket most likely - something where fit is not an issue. I did something similar with Rowan Denim - designed pillows and a little blanket for a babies room.

Kimber
www.KimberBaldwinDesigns.com
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2005 :  1:09:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
Sorry Alison, I haven't checked in for awhile the ML is the Maddy Laine cardigan that is a suggested pattern on the Elann, Pakucho description page. You will see the link in the yarn description and it'll bring you right there.

Dee
~Licensed2Knit
www.Kneatles.com
Go to Top of Page

mmurray@flk.com
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  10:01:02 AM  Show Profile Send mmurray@flk.com a Private Message
I, too, was in a "no more yarn buying" mode until I checked this out. (I don't know whether to thank or curse Clara....) (THANK YOU!) I'm not a big fan of cotton, either, but it was this pattern that pushed me over the edge.

http://secure.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=maddy+laine+leaflet+124+%2D+Triangle+Tones&Cat=&ProductType=4&Count=4

I haven't started yet, still swatching (I always need to use a size smaller needle than what patterns call for...I guess I'm a "loose" girl). But I can already tell that it is beautiful stuff. Soft and consistent, firm, it kind of flies through my hand in a way that different from wool and refreshing for summer.
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  1:59:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
That's the one, that's what I am talking about.

Dee
~Licensed2Knit
www.Kneatles.com
Go to Top of Page

BigSisterSF
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  11:31:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigSisterSF's Homepage Send BigSisterSF a Private Message
OK, I am totally sold on this yarn. Now to chose a color (or two). I want to make the Corset Pullover (scroll down) from the Spring 2003 IK and I am trying to decide between Natural, Vanilla, and Vicuna. Can anyone give me feedback on these colors? Is the Natural a white or an off-white/ecru? Does the Vanilla have a yellow undertone? The Vicuna looks like what I might call Natural--does it have a lot of brown in it?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

aefost
Chatty Knitter

126 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  11:26:38 AM  Show Profile Send aefost a Private Message
I have the vanilla and I do not think it has a yellow undertone, but looking online I can see why you'd think that. Of course, YMMV.
Go to Top of Page

amber
Seriously Hooked

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  5:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit amber's Homepage Send amber a Private Message
I think I'm going to make the lo tech sweatshirt with my vanilla yarn

http://chicknits.com/catalog/lotech.html

The guage is a bit off but I'll adjust.

-Amber

Current Projects and what not:
http://yarnjunkie.blogspot.com/
Finished Projects:
http://yarnjunkie2.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2005 :  02:25:06 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
I bought the Chocolate, Forrest, and Natural. I've not started anything yet. I plan to make the Casual Cables Cardigan out of chocolate. It's a fun and easy cable project. It was my first completed cabled project. I made it out of a 100% wool yarn. It's way too warm to wear around here so I plan to give it to my Mom for her Christmas Present. So I thought I would try the cotton. I swatched and it makes wonderful cables. Nice and soft. I too found it shrank length wise about 20%. So I'll have to knit it a bit longer. With the Forrest I plan on making a Summer tank top. I haven't decided what to make w/ the Natural as yet. Probably a pullover...either an Aran or Guernsey type.

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

englishtch
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2005 :  3:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit englishtch's Homepage Send englishtch a Private Message
I bought the sage and vicuna to make a very plain, sweatshirt type pullover in stockinette stripes. I love the feel of the yarn, but it has the oddest ridge look, like the left side of the stitch sticks up higher than the right. I've never had this happen before. It's not bad looking, and I hope that it might flatten out when I wash it, but I can't imagine why it's doing this.

My blog: www.soonerbeknitting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Roxanne
Seriously Hooked

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  11:37:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Roxanne's Homepage Send Roxanne a Private Message
I got some in avocado too and am wondering if anyone has made the Cable 8 top and if you have a picture online to view how it turned out? Thanks!

"Success is a Journey; not a Destination"
My Blog: http://knitnpurlzen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by