Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Book recommendations and questions
 3 Favorite Knitting Books?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Inkmama
Seriously Hooked

891 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  8:49:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Inkmama's Homepage Send Inkmama a Private Message
What are they? You can only name three. The reason this came up is I was on Amazon about to buy CONFESSIONS OF A KNITTING HERETIC and KNITTING ON THE ROAD and I wondered what books everyone here loves. I thought I'd wait to hear everyone's faves before I buy more.

Barbara

Writing blog: http://penonfire.blogspot.com

Knitting blog: http://knittingonfire.blogspot.com

diana.enky
Permanent Resident

Australia
1092 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  01:39:47 AM  Show Profile Send diana.enky a Private Message
1. Nancie Wiseman's Book of Finishing Techniques - use it ALL the time and it is such a practical size - fits in anywhere unlike the VK 'tome'
2. NIcky Epstein - Knitting on the edge - great inspiration
3. Joelle Hoversen - Last Minute Knitted Gifts - has the most things I will knit/ make from one book

Phew That was hard - I own about 70 ?? knitting books, not counting pattern books- Rowan, Jo Sharp etc

Diana

2005 stats: 2 WIP, 9 FO, 2 Frogged
Purchases: too many
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4390 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  03:07:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
This is very hard!

1. Last-Minite Knitted Gifts (for the same reason as Diana, and because it's such a well-done book)
2. Barbara Walker's Treasuries (if I must choose one, then it would be #2, just because a lot of my favorite stitch patterns are in that one)
3. Ann Budd's Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns (because I can do almost anything with it by my side!)

Three choices -- not enough! What about all the books I use for inspiration? Technical help? I'm sure I've got about fifteen tried-and-true favorites that I use all the time!

Jane

"Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things." Denis Diderot

My album: Jane's Pages
Go to Top of Page

Inkmama
Seriously Hooked

891 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  07:19:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Inkmama's Homepage Send Inkmama a Private Message
Does anyone love Confessions of a Knitting Heretic?

I would have to say Last Minute Gifts is one of my favorites, too....

Barbara

Writing blog: http://penonfire.blogspot.com

Knitting blog: http://knittingonfire.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  07:39:07 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
1. Barbara Walker's Treasuries of Knitting Patterns Vol. II
2. Montse Stanley's Handbook of Knitting Technique
3. Ann Budd's Handy Book of Knitting Patterns

I'd be heartbroken not to have my collection of Alice Starmore and Scandinavian knitting, but these three are the bedrock of my knitting.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

thdx3
Seriously Hooked

694 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  07:46:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit thdx3's Homepage Send thdx3 a Private Message
Sally Melville's The Knitting Experience: The Knit Stitch - for techniques

Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Around for inspiration

And the ever-popular Last Minute Knitted Gifts for patterns.

Terri D. making a mental list of a thousand other books in NYC
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  08:36:57 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
1. Vogue Knitting. Has to be on the list because I definitely refer to it more than any other book.
2. Knitting in Plain English by Maggie Righetti. I know everyone else goes to Elizabeth Zimmerman for the ultimate in knitting wisdom, but I just love the way Maggie Righetti wise-cracks and talks from the hip. I said to a customer the other day that it's like getting knitting advice from your grandmother. And she supplied back, "If your grandmother is a smart-ass." And it's so, so true.
3. And to cheat slightly, any of the Sally Melville Knitting Experience books, including, most likely the new color book that comes out in November. The detail of the photographs in her books for learning techniques just can't be beat.

Nature is a haunted house--but Art--is a house that tries to be haunted.
Emily Dickinson
Go to Top of Page

zissa
Chatty Knitter

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  09:55:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit zissa's Homepage Send zissa a Private Message
1) Ann Budd's Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns
2) Stich 'n beach/Stitch 'N beach Nation (I just love my Lucky Clover Wrap!)
3) Scarf Style

www.wordsandwool.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

NaProus
Permanent Resident

1828 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  10:20:05 AM  Show Profile Send NaProus a Private Message
Barbara Walker! I have enjoyed other books, but nothing inspires me so regularly, and has such wonderful and easy to follow instructions.

What's a leper bandage? http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bandages.html
http://www.ghm.org/resources/knitted.htm
Go to Top of Page

bronx58
New Pal

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  11:40:03 AM  Show Profile Send bronx58 a Private Message
I am a big fan of "Confessions of a Knitting Heretic." I find Annie Modessit incredibly refreshing because she has a unique (and fearless) way of seeing, which I find very liberating. She's an incredibly gifted designer and I like her writing quite a bit.

Gosh, if i had to narrow it down to three books, I would have to say that my faves right now at this very moment are

1) Last-Minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson
2) Nanci Wiseman's Book of Finishing Techniques
3) Ann Budd's Handy Book of Knitting Patterns (because of its versatility)

but I can't really pick just three!!! I LOVE Teva Durham's new book, I really like Debbie Stoller's books, I really like Unexpected Knitting, and of course, everything by Elizabeth Zimmerman and Barbara Walker. I know, i know, you asked for three. Sorry.
Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  2:50:25 PM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message
1) Vogue Knitting because I can almost always find answers to my questions there (Montse Stanley's book had too much extraneous stuff for me and sometimes I had trouble following Katherina's Buss' text).
2) Last Minute Knitted Gifts for color inspiration and truly last-minute do-able items (unlike some other "quick" or "weekend" books).
3) Handy Book of Knitting Patterns with its basic funtionality and range of gauge and sizes.

But really, who has *just* 3 favorites? Then there are the ones on my wish list...
Go to Top of Page

Shepurls
Chatty Knitter

116 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  6:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shepurls's Homepage Send Shepurls a Private Message
I don't have many books (yet!) so it makes it easier to choose from:

1. Vogue Knitting (my bible!)
2. Socks Socks Socks (because it's becoming my favourite thing to knit)
3. Stitch N' beach (It was my first. Your first is always special)

~Caroline~

You know you wanna see my knits :
Caroline's Knitting Adventures

2005 FO: 7 -- WIP3
2004 FO: 14 --
Go to Top of Page

SaintJay
Chatty Knitter

113 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  05:45:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit SaintJay's Homepage Send SaintJay a Private Message
This is a fun topic. I just catalogued my knitting books the other day and learned that I own 45 books! So hard to pick 3, but I'll try:

1. Definitely Vogue Knitting. This is the best all-around reference book for knitters.

2. Fisherman's Sweaters by Alice Starmore. I'm a big fan of cabled sweaters, and Alice's are my faves. Of all my pattern books, this one has the largest # of patterns I am likely to knit.

3.Norsk Strikkdesign. I am no where near accomplished enough nor do I have the fortitude to knit any of these beautiful sweaters. Nonetheless, I wouldn't part with this book.

Honorable mentions to Viking Knitting by Elsebeth Lavold, The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns by Ann Budd, and anything by Elizabeth Zimmermann. Sorry, love them too much not to mention them.
Go to Top of Page

knittherapy
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
375 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  07:22:29 AM  Show Profile  Send knittherapy a Yahoo! Message Send knittherapy a Private Message
1. Vogue Knitting
2. Folk Shawls
3. Socks Socks Socks

Lori [img]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/img]

My knitting photos
I'm blogging now!
Go to Top of Page

KarenB
Seriously Hooked

750 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  07:53:22 AM  Show Profile Send KarenB a Private Message
If all my books burned up in a fire, these are the ones I'd replace immediately:

Barbara Walker's Treasury of Knitting Patterns, Vols. I and II
Vogue Knitting
Nanci Wiseman's Book of Finishing Techniques

Karen
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  08:30:10 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
Wonderful topic! Wish I could have seen this before buying any books.

For reference, I bought the Reader's Digest Knitting Handbook, Vogue Knitting, Vogue Knitting Quick Reference, Knitting for Dummies and the Big Book of Knitting. Guess which gives me more of the answers I can understand? The Dummies Book - easier to find the answers and easier to understand them! Definitely written for the inexperienced.

For patterns, I bought the Vogue Very Easy Knits, HotKnits, Pursenalities and Bags/A Knitter's Dozen. And I want the Quick Knits with Today's Yarns.

Too new to knitting to list three favorites but will list Knitting for Dummies as one. And I'll be researching the books you all are writing down.
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  10:34:07 AM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
1. Barbara Walker's Treasuries (all four)

2. Kaffe's Classics

3. Montse Stanley's Handbook

Trish
Go to Top of Page

mwyn
Permanent Resident

USA
1419 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  7:42:34 PM  Show Profile Send mwyn a Private Message
1. Anna Zilboorg - esp. Magnificent Mittens. I like to look at the pretty colors .
2. Catherine Cartwright Jones - she has got some of the coolest graphed patterns I've seen. Dragons, tibetan, american indian, ethnic symbols, griffons, ravens, etc. I like her approach too.
3. Barbara Walker.
It's tough to list only 3.
mwyn

One who works with his hands is a laborer. With hands & head; a craftsman. With hands, head & heart an artist. (Paraphrase St. Francis of Assissi)
Go to Top of Page

TracyKnits
Chatty Knitter

324 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  12:05:50 AM  Show Profile Send TracyKnits a Private Message
It's really hard to pick only 3. There's so many that I love for different reasons. I guess I'll try -

Stitch n beach - the first book I bought. Really helped me and got me excited about knitting.

The Knit Stitch - The Einstein jacket. Enough said.

Hip to Knit - My current favorite because I'm knitting a lot out of it for my teen and pre-teen nieces and nephews. Hats that have been very well received and (gasp!) actually WORN, in public even.
(Kids today, who knows what they actually want? Okay, having made that statement, I am officially old and uncool)
Go to Top of Page

Former Disco Queen
Chatty Knitter

USA
239 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  10:55:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Former Disco Queen's Homepage Send Former Disco Queen a Private Message
Hmmmm....

*Sally Melville's The Knit Stitch
*My Vogue Knitting Companion
*Any Debbie Bliss children's book....doesn't really matter which one :)

Amy
Go to Top of Page

Aseneth
Chatty Knitter

158 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  10:51:42 AM  Show Profile Send Aseneth a Private Message
1. Knitting Workshop - Elizabeth Zimmermen
2. Meg Swansen's Knitting - Meg Swansen
3. Knitting in the Old Way - Priscilla Gibson-Roberts

[img]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic