Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Book recommendations and questions
 3 Favorite Knitting Books?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

cableready
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  2:49:01 PM  Show Profile Send cableready a Private Message
Great question ~ If I really had to choose 3, they would be:

1. Barbara Walker - Second Treasury

2. Alice Starmore - Fishermen's Sweaters

3. Elizabeth Zimmermann - Knitting Around

Pamela

Go to Top of Page

momslake
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  09:06:01 AM  Show Profile Send momslake a Private Message
Oh, man! Just three? That's tough.

1. Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns by Ann Budd
2. Knitting Without Tears by Elizabeth Zimmerman
3. Tie between Harmony Guide to Aran and Fair Isle Knitting
and Elsebeth Lavold's Viking Knitting book

"In the northern wilderness, where wool is a way of life."
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  09:39:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
To make this more difficult for me, I decided that my basic reference books didn't count. In truth, they are the books I can't live without, but it's fun to figure out what else in my collection has become near and dear. (Sorry Ann Budd and Barbara Walker!)

1. Nursery Knits by Debbie Bliss. This was the first book I bought when I committed to knitting after my DD was born. Until then I had dabbled with many things, but the time constraints of a newborn forced me to pick what I loved the most to focus on. I've never regretted it. (Thanks Gram for teaching me when I was 8!)

2. Viking Patterns for Knitting, Elsebeth Lavold. Not only are the patterns spectacular, but I love the fact that this book really delves into the heart of the designer and the sources of her inspiration.

3. Heirloom Lace, Sharon Miller and The Art of Fair Isle Knitting, Ann Feitelson. I know this counts as two, but both are exceptionally well detailed books on very specific techniques. Not only do they provide projects, but they are how-to books in building your own projects within these wonderful traditions.

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

Suzann
Seriously Hooked

USA
869 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  7:13:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Suzann's Homepage Send Suzann a Private Message
Barbara Walker for inspiration

Ann Budd, Handy Book of Patterns for the ability to make anything in any size using any yarn

Sally Melville The Knit Experience or The Purl Experience for the clear directions, pictures and patterns

Extras, Elizabeth Zimmerman anything. Knitting for Dummies (me)Folk Shawls can't think of more just now. But there are bound to be some.

Making cables is like making love. There is a lot of foreplay before you get to the deed
http://www15.brinkster.com/lyricalarmy/lace/lace.htm
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  06:14:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message
Oh my, with all my books it is hard to make the choice!

1. Heirloom Knitting by Sharon Miller, as I love to do lace and whoopie, Sharon is working on a 2nd book!

2. The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techinques by Nancie M. Wiseman. I am sooo happy with this book! I even bought a copy for my GD, now if I'd just get it mailed off to her!

3. Any one of Elizabeth Zimmerman's books. I love them all. In fact, I just ordered the newest one! She, personally, introduced me to wool and the concept that you can DO IT YOUR WAY without guilt!

I have all of my EZ books in one holder by my knitting chair. Then the rest of my "special" knitting books in a 2nd one. In case of fire those are the 2 things that would be in my arms on the way out the door!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

argoknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2005 :  09:04:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit argoknit's Homepage Send argoknit a Private Message
That one is really tough. If I had to pick I would say:

1. Knitting in America by Melanie Falick (they've re-released it in paperback as America Knits)
2. Celtic Knits by Alice Starmore - I really want to knit Albahttp://www.virtualyarns.com/scripts/showitem.asp?ID=155
3. Jamieson's Shetland Knitting books (I have 1 and 3). I know this is a cheat, but I can't just pick one.

I also love Elsebeth Lavold's Viking Knits and just about anything by Alice and Jade Starmore! But I was only allowed to pick 3.

argoknit

http://photos.isaacsondesign.net/

[image]http://www.isaacsondesign.net/forum/dot.jpg[/image]
Go to Top of Page

KnitRedSox
Chatty Knitter

170 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  12:09:53 PM  Show Profile Send KnitRedSox a Private Message
Not counting Vogue Knitting (my all-around reference)...

1. The Knit Stitch for technique--and as someone said it was my "first" so it is the most special
2. Ann Budd's Handy Book of Patterns - It's great because you can design your own stuff based on the "templates" she gives you - fair isle works great on the patterns in this book...and you can knit any thing in any gague.
3. Weekend Knitting - Melanie Falick. I know that some people don't like it, but it always inspires me.

And... creating my own topic -- I am dying to get my hands on Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting...
Go to Top of Page

Kate612
New Pal

20 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  8:14:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kate612's Homepage Send Kate612 a Private Message
What a fun topic! Here are the three, in no particular order:

1) Stitch n beach/Stitch n beach Nation - not only are they both FULL of great patterns, but they're great reference books as well! Stitch n beach was my constant companion when I picked up the needles recently and basically re-taught myself (I forgot most of what grandma taught me when I was 4) how to knit. SnB Nation has a great section in the front on alterating patterns based on different design elements you might want to add, and altering a pattern to accomodate yarn that gives a different gauge than originally called for.

2) Melanie Falik's Weekend Knitting - I love so many of the patterns in this book that I decided it would be less expensive to buy the book than to photocopy everything I wanted to make! I've already made the brioche stitch hat for my brother and he actually wears it (did I mention he was 17?)! The book also has fun inserts of knitting-related quotes, relaxing activites that generally accompany a weekend of knitting (hence, the title....sneaky, right?) and the paper the book is printed on is so darn nice that it just feels good to flip through the pages.

3) Socks (I forget who this is by, but it's impossible to miss - it's the sock pattern book that's in the shape of a sock) - This book is my first reference when I run into a sock-knitting quandry, and it was the only explanation of Kitchener's Stitch that I was inititally able to understand. Plus, the patterns are fun and gradually increase in difficulty level as you progress through the book so that by the time you've knit your way through it, you'll definately feel like a master sock knitter.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

highdesertrose
Gabber Extraordinaire

Malta
544 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  5:49:10 PM  Show Profile Send highdesertrose a Private Message
Only three? Here goes...

Stitch 'n' beach- my first one. Interested me not only in the actual *knit* but its history and culture.

Sally Melville's The Knit Stitch and Purl Stitch (I know it's two, but they're part of a series so I'm cheating). Very clear instructions and inspiring tidbits.

The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques- awesome!

~~justine~~
Go to Top of Page

Gina70
Chatty Knitter

114 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  07:11:16 AM  Show Profile Send Gina70 a Private Message
1. The Yarn Girls' Guide to Simple Knits. I refer to it for finishing techniques.
2. Last Minute Knitted Gifts
3. Scarf Style
Go to Top of Page

amber
Seriously Hooked

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  08:52:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit amber's Homepage Send amber a Private Message
1. Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns by Ann Budd
2. Scarf Style
3. I'm going to cheat:
Weekend Knitting, Last Minute Knitted Gifts, and the Stitch n beach Books

And reference books were not included even though they are used more often then the books I listed above

-Amber

Current Projects and what not:
http://yarnjunkie.blogspot.com/
Finished Projects:
http://yarnjunkie2.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  7:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Hmmm...

For patterns:
1. The Knit Stitch
2. The Purl Stitch
(both by Sally Melville -- a Canuck, by the way...) ;-)

For drooling:
1. Folk Vests
2. EZ - Knitters' Almanac
3. Handpaint Country

For reading:
1. KnitLit
2. Zen and the Art of Knitting
3. Knit Wit

-- Marg (addicted to books about knitting) in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2005 :  5:01:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
For inspiration Barbara Walker "A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns".
For design help Deborah Newton "Designing Knitwear"
Best designs Alice Starmore's "Book of Fair Isle Knitting"

Naturally, there are heaps of other great books that I love and use all the time.
Arctic-mermaid
Go to Top of Page

Gelsomina
Chatty Knitter

250 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2005 :  5:11:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gelsomina's Homepage Send Gelsomina a Private Message
1. Unexpected Knitting - my all-time favorite. weird patterns, great photos.
2. Knitting School - some people don't like it, but I enjoy their instructional drawings and obscure techniques.
3. Knitting for Dummies - silly I know, but it's what got me started on knitting, so still enjoy the thought of it. Very easy to read instructional style; I read it cover to cover.
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1346 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  07:55:13 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
1) Sweater Design in Plain English (Knitting in Plain English is also great) - Maggie Raghetti (I can't believe these hadn't made the list yet)
2) The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques - Nanci Wiseman
3) Knitting on the edge - NIcky Epstein

Jayme
Go to Top of Page

Filo
Chatty Knitter

Brazil
108 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  2:43:00 PM  Show Profile Send Filo a Private Message
1) Vogue Knitting Quick reference - it helps me a lot!!!!!
2) Last Minute Knitted Gifts - simply LOVE this book
3) Weekend knitting - nice book to ready, with nice patterns too.

Patricia
Sao Paulo Brazil
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  03:20:43 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by jaymeKnits

1) Sweater Design in Plain English (Knitting in Plain English is also great) - Maggie Raghetti (I can't believe these hadn't made the list yet)
2) The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques - Nanci Wiseman
3) Knitting on the edge - NIcky Epstein

Jayme

I love Knitting, found Sweater Design a slog.
quote:
Originally posted by ceecee

1) Vogue Knitting because I can almost always find answers to my questions there (Montse Stanley's book had too much extraneous stuff for me and sometimes I had trouble following Katherina's Buss' text)
I can't make head nor tail of Vogue, any of their stuff. Just goes to show you, doesn't it?

OK, my favourites:
1. Knitting in Plain English
2. Finishing Techniques (although I haven't really used it yet, I've been avoiding seams )
3. Any of the Walker Treasuries, or Knitting from the Top

I've got all kinds of pattern books I wish I hadn't bought, since I so seldom actually follow patterns. Maybe, someday, I'll get around to de-stashing them.

Barbara

Healthy conservatism promotes the continuity of civilization, the importance
of community, the dangers of thoughtless change. It does not, or should not,
assert the right of white, Christian heterosexual males of a certain age to
limit the rights of everyone else. The past 100 years of social history has
been dedicated, on good days, to constraining the dominance of this
minority. Yesterday was a good day: J.Ibbotson, June 29/05, on the passing of the same-sex marriage bill.

Go to Top of Page

SpinaYarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  07:44:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit SpinaYarn's Homepage Send SpinaYarn a Private Message
I'm a really new knitter, only a couple years.. but must say that the book I use the most is "Simply Beautiful Sweaters" by Tricoter. I always seem to find a great yarn then go looking for a pattern for it. (never seems to be the other way around does it!) in the end, something from this book pops up. its easy, even for my novice fingers, to modify their patterns and re-size.. anybody else like this one?
Go to Top of Page

mom4GJ
Chatty Knitter

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  6:00:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit mom4GJ's Homepage Send mom4GJ a Private Message
1. Knitting in Plain English -- I read it soon after I got back into knitting, and I really liked it. She has a great voice (figuratively speaking).
2. The Yarn Harlot's book -- I just laughed and laughed and laughed.
3. Folk Shawls -- since I'm knitting a pattern out of it right now.

Kim in WV
http://mom4gj.blogspot.com

By laughing, you do not use up your laughter, but increase your store of it. (Life Expectancy, Dean Koontz)
Go to Top of Page

lgrabbit@yahoo.com
Chatty Knitter

170 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  3:47:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit lgrabbit@yahoo.com's Homepage Send lgrabbit@yahoo.com a Private Message
I like:
Vogue Knitting
Weekend Knitting--Melanie Falick (and Kid's Knitting, bought for my son)
Celebrity Scarves--Abra Edelman

The first has the key to almost everything. The second has fun and funky patterns. The third is like dessert--stars and fun scarves--makes me feel creative with what I have on hand.

Laurie

"Under the fence, Catch the sheep, Back we come, Off we leap!"--Purl Rhyme
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by