Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 an un-knitting story
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

zoeb
Warming Up

95 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  08:36:27 AM  Show Profile Send zoeb a Private Message
we got a new kitty this week--a little devil cat--all black--9 months old and as sweet and loving as can be--however he is thoroughly enjoying his new freedom--was in a cage at the shelter since April--he has been digging in plants, unrolling toilet paper and shredding it--just the usual bad cat stuff.

I haven't knitted around him because I knew it would be trouble, but last night I got out the sock I'm working on --he grabbed the yarn and bit it 2x before I wised up and put the ball inside the sock so i could knit--ok, problem solved--I thought.

When I got up this morning and made a pit stop in the bathroom I said uh oh--there were tangled strands of yarn all over the bathroom--kept going out to the living room and saw that my house had turned into a giant spiderweb--he had snatched the sock out of my knitting basket and spent all night running around with it--under, over, through--shedding needles as he went--I had just started decreasing for the toe, and it's now at the beginning of the heel flap--and 2 needles are still missing!

he is completely unrepentant--he tried to play as i began untangling--had to shut him up for a bit to get this done--he hasn'r been named yet, but high up on the list is Frogger!

here's a pic of him resting up after some devilment

[img]http://members.sparedollar.com/zbleck/cat001aa.jpg[/img]

knittherapy
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
375 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  09:11:28 AM  Show Profile  Send knittherapy a Yahoo! Message Send knittherapy a Private Message
Frogger's good...
What about "Bad Kitty"??!
Hopefully he'll grow out of this phase soon, for your knitting's sake! I'm sure he's soooo happy to be in a loving home, instead of a shelter cage.

Lori [img]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/img]

My knitting photos
I'm blogging now!
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  09:22:38 AM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
"Tinker"

or "Scamp".

my pics
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  09:39:36 AM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
How about "Troubles"?

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635
Go to Top of Page

alliwenk
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  09:41:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit alliwenk's Homepage Send alliwenk a Private Message
lol!

Frogger is the ONLY name...

fwiw I adopted a kitty with a similar background & in the last 6 months his yarn fascination has waned completely...perhaps young Frogger will grow bored with it as my own kitty, Hank, has.

My Album and My Blog
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  10:15:00 AM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
That's a cute story, and yes......he must be named Frogger!

Trish
Go to Top of Page

MomToTwo
Chatty Knitter

221 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  07:33:50 AM  Show Profile Send MomToTwo a Private Message
Hank? As in - converting Works in Progress back to HANKS?

And I think Frogger is the perfect name for the new kitty, although I hope he outgrows his yarn exploits soon. He's lucky he didn't get himself tangled in the mess. When I was young we had a kitten that managed to get so ensnared in the yarn that we had to cut her out!
Go to Top of Page

alliwenk
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  09:40:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit alliwenk's Homepage Send alliwenk a Private Message
My own Hank was named after Henry James (yes, I was an English major in a former life :) Dh called him Hank and I only later realized the knitting connection.

My Album and My Blog
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  10:07:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
Tangle? Spinner? He's gorgeous by the way.

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

MindfulKnitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

445 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  1:01:19 PM  Show Profile Send MindfulKnitter a Private Message
Zoeb, we vote for Frogger too! That story is precious and he is beautiful. Also very lucky to have such an understanding Mommy. Maybe it would help if you gave him an old sock and an old ball of yarn of his own to play with and keep your WIP safely stashed away for times when he isn't right there. If he had his own sock and his own yarn, then he could play freely with that and not bother your good stuff. Just a thought. Anyway, enjoy your precious bundle and thanks for sharing him with us.

Best wishes,
Jennifer and Patty

To know even one life has breathed easier because you lived . . . this is to have succeeded.
Go to Top of Page

denmark
Gabber Extraordinaire

377 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  2:03:11 PM  Show Profile Send denmark a Private Message
I love "Frogger"!

Our brother/sister cats are "Sugar & Spice", and lo and behold...Spice ends up with diabetes at age 1 year...good thing we didn't name him "Sugar"...it would be like we had jinxed him! So, what are the chances "Frogger" will live up to his name?!

Whatever his name, he is precious!
Beth
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  2:11:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by zoeb

he is completely unrepentant

So what you're saying is, he's a cat.

I like Frogger, but let's hope it's not self-fulfilling to any degree. We don't want him to continue ripping out your knitting, but we also don't want him to bring you real frogs! (we had a cat who did that regularly, and she always at the legs first)

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

blazfglori
Permanent Resident

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  2:46:13 PM  Show Profile Send blazfglori a Private Message
Awww!

What a beautiful kitty!

We also have a black kitty, but she has a splotch of white on her chest as well. :)

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

paper tiger
Chatty Knitter

282 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  5:14:36 PM  Show Profile Send paper tiger a Private Message
My cats are two and a half, and their yarn fetish has slowed a little but not vanished. Every once in a while I'll realize I forgot to put a ball awa and they've left ot alone, but much more frequently I'll realize I forgot to put the yarn away when I find it around, over, and through all my furniture. (They eat rubber bands and like to chew on the cords of my circs, too...) I like yarn that comes in non-rolling arrangements for this reason -- if it isn;t fun to chase, they leave it alone.

I don't bring rubber bands home any more. Still haven't found a way to preserve the circs...

What a handsome guy!
Go to Top of Page

Gelliott
Seriously Hooked

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  9:09:20 PM  Show Profile Send Gelliott a Private Message
Zoeb, your cat looks just like my Balthazar. When Zarli was a kitten, he used to chew on the cuffs of any wool sweater I was wearing. Cotton and synthetics did not interest him. Maybe wool has some attraction for cats.... He mostly grew out of it, so maybe your knitting will be safe in a few months' time.

Gelliott
Go to Top of Page

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  10:30:35 PM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message
How about Clue?

Cause a dropped clue would cause knitters all sorts of troubles in the old days.

(Clue = the bag or pouch one's knitting was carried in on one's belt)

Craftiness is Sanity
Trailer - Trash to Treasure?
"Knitting is indeed manly. After all you spend a long time poking a rigid object through a flexible opening!" - Mokey
Go to Top of Page

knitbugg
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  07:52:39 AM  Show Profile Send knitbugg a Private Message
I vote for Frogger. I have two black cats myself ( and two torties) and none of them have outgrown their yarn attraction. They are especially fond of mohair (which is also especially hard to untangle!) and there have been many mornings where I have come downstairs to find a cobweb of yarn. They seem to have a sixth sense about where I hide it. They will bite the plastic baggies! In fact, I lost my very first completed project (a mohair, eyelash wrap) to the kitties...it is now the kitty blanket. They will lay on it even if it is soaking wet. :)

V.

It's not a mistake its a design element!
Go to Top of Page

alliwenk
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  08:30:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit alliwenk's Homepage Send alliwenk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gelliott

When Zarli was a kitten, he used to chew on the cuffs of any wool sweater I was wearing. Cotton and synthetics did not interest him. Maybe wool has some attraction for cats....

One of my cat care books claims that wool is an attractant for some cats & had a very unpleasant story about a cat dying from ingesting wool yarn...apparently it can block their digestion if enough is eaten. After reading that I was a little more careful about Hank not having access to yarn unless I was present.

My Album and My Blog
Go to Top of Page

zoeb
Warming Up

95 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  08:48:03 AM  Show Profile Send zoeb a Private Message
well--he's not Frogger--I was the only one (other than you guys) who liked that--he's Rudy--Rudy Kazootie GD Kitty Cat is his full name--it just popped into my head yesterday and it works--he answers to it.

alliwenk said--

wool is an attractant for some cats

yeah, Siamese are especially prone to wool love--I had the hem eaten off of a brand new sweater dress I had laid out on the bed to admire a few years ago--my cats never had any ill effects--just a lot of bulk in their poop!

and also said

My own Hank was named after Henry James (yes, I was an English major in a former life :) Dh called him Hank and I only later realized the knitting connection.

I also had a HJ inspired cat--Daisy Miller--it turned out that she was a fierce and determined hunter--my nephew called her the most mis-named cat ever--should have been Attilla.

well, some of you say he'll outgrow the fetish, others not--if not I'll adjust--it's like raising kids--they train you, not the other way around!

mamid said-

(Clue = the bag or pouch one's knitting was carried in on one's belt)

thanks for that--I love learning a new archaic term!

thanks, too for sharing your kitty stories--I wonder if knitters tend to be cat lovers?
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  09:07:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
We've had many polls about that, and it's actually not all that overwhelming a majority - you can check past polls to see!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Parrot Girl
Permanent Resident

2129 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  10:16:29 AM  Show Profile Send Parrot Girl a Private Message
He's just gorgeous--and so oblivious to the damage he's done!

I think Rudy is a nice name. You would constantly have to explain to people that no, he's not named after Frogger the game.

"The past does not equal the future"

The other Fran in Kansas City
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by