Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 Martha cardigan - Rowan #37
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

peskymac
Chatty Knitter

106 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  6:40:54 PM  Show Profile Send peskymac a Private Message
I just cast on for the Martha cardigan [the eyelet version] from Rowan #37. I'm using Rowanspun 4 ply in a color called Swarm, which is sort a tweedy looking beige.

All I can say is this: dude, what was I thinking? 4ply? I'm must be on crack. I worked for a few hours and have all of three inches to show for it.

A view of my torturously slow progress:
http://flickr.com/photos/peskymac/18936560/

I fear this sweater may take years to finish.

-mac
pesky'apostrophe
http://www.peskyapostrophe.com

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  03:38:26 AM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message
I made a Rowan sweater (Nell from the book Rowan Wool Cotton) and used #4 needles, I believe. It took me 5 months to finish it, and it had short sleeves. But I am glad I did--it turned out to be a very pretty sweater. So hang in there--I love that sweater, and it's classic so you will be able to wear it forever.
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

gibsongirl
Seriously Hooked

965 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  10:50:36 AM  Show Profile Send gibsongirl a Private Message
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that knitting with 4ply is insane. I bought enough Wool Cotton for a men's sweater (talk about being on crack) because I figured that would produce a fabric light enough that the boyfriend would actually wear the sweater on a regular basis, but I'm having a very hard time motivating myself to knit miles of stockinette in that skinny yarn. At least you're knitting a women's sweater with some pattern elements, mac!

-gibsongirl
Go to Top of Page

PatC
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  12:37:36 PM  Show Profile Send PatC a Private Message
Just keep telling yourself that it's the process as well as the product that you love.

You can get into a wonderful relaxing rhythm will smaller gauge yarn.

PatC
Go to Top of Page

GrandmaHatter
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
440 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  5:34:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrandmaHatter's Homepage Send GrandmaHatter a Private Message
Oooh, that is SO pretty!

I just finished a sweater knit on size 2 needles- don't worry, once you get going it will go faster.

Kristin

www.kristingoedert.com
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  8:05:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
It does seem quicker after a while, I've made a couple of 4ply cotton tops. I haven't taken on anything with sleeves yet though.

Wen

2005 stats: 7 FO, 9 WIP, 1 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

Sabrina Fair
Seriously Hooked

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  01:44:28 AM  Show Profile Send Sabrina Fair a Private Message
Try considering it as more knitting for your money and judging by your pic it will be worth it

Sabrina

Sabrina fair,
Listen where thou art sitting
Under the glassy, cool, translucent wave,
In twisted braids of lilies knitting

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sabrina_fair1/album?.dir=/7ab3
Go to Top of Page

Diane Kerr
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  2:25:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Diane Kerr's Homepage Send Diane Kerr a Private Message
I have never tried 4 ply but I would like to. People say that once you get going on the sweater that it moves faster. I have done many other sweaters from the Rowan 37 book. I did Chicago twice, Jenny,Hiker and started on Marianne. Is it nicer to work with cotton 4 ply or wool 4 ply?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe