Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Argh!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chappysmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

519 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  06:49:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chappysmom's Homepage Send Chappysmom a Private Message
So there I was, binding off the very last row of my Peacock Feathers Shawl . . . the one I've been working on for months now and can't wait to see in all its beauty . . . and what happens? I ran out of yarn!

Well, technically, I have another skein (this is exactly the reason WHY I always buy extra). But I have a fraction of the stitches left to cast off, and will only be using a couple feet of this new skein, but still . . . isn't that ridiculous??

I posted pictures, such as they are, of the shawl in all her "almost" glory. So you can see how very close to the end I was!

http://chappysmom.typepad.com/bookworm/2005/06/and_yet_so_far.html

Grumble, grumble . . .

Deb

Deb in NJ
http://chappysmom.typepad.com/

Currently knitting:
Fiddlesticks' Peacock Feathers Shawl
Rowan "Elfin" sweater:
And, learning to spin!

KarenB
Seriously Hooked

750 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  06:56:12 AM  Show Profile Send KarenB a Private Message
Absolutely gorgeous, Deb. I love the color. Thank goodness you had that extra skein!

Karen (chomping at the bit for Birch to be finished)
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  07:20:12 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Boy talk about close, but it sure is pretty. Congratulations on a job well done.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  07:57:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
wow, that *is* a gorgeous color, great job!

FO: scalloped baby blanket
WIPs: Winter Night Afghan, Homespun Stripes Afghan
USO: Catch the Wave Afghan, Checkerboard Afghan, Ripple Afghan

If you could be guaranteed money, wisdom, or love, which would you choose?
Go to Top of Page

Maybird
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  09:27:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maybird's Homepage Send Maybird a Private Message
Very pretty shawl though - can't wait to see it blocked.
Go to Top of Page

sparkleplenty
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
484 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  09:28:49 AM  Show Profile Send sparkleplenty a Private Message
Thank goodness you had another skein to finish your gorgeous shawl!!

I just finished my first shawl and I ran out of yarn half way through the edging. I didn't have another skein, so I had to rip out what I had done. Grr! You can bet I won't cut it close next time.

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  10:24:34 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Lovely! When I am short in the cast off, I just frog the last couple rows.

"I firmly believe the Bible is the misinterpreted word of God." Mokey

www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

VickiKK
Seriously Hooked

935 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  10:30:01 AM  Show Profile Send VickiKK a Private Message
Don'tcha hate it when that happens?
beautiful shawl. good job
Vicki near Seattle
Go to Top of Page

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  1:04:45 PM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message
Deb, you did a great job. The color is beautiful. Thank Goodness you had that extra ball....

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  5:05:55 PM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
Uh-oh - how many skeins did you use? I STILL haven't gotten my pattern, but I have the same yarn...I wonder if I need to order some more?
Lin

"Wearing cheerful, multicolored hats is a public service, easy to perform, and of incalculable value." - Anna Zilboorg
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Busyhands/elisaintunnel.jpg[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

argoknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  5:27:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit argoknit's Homepage Send argoknit a Private Message
I feel your pain. I hate that when you only use a tiny fraction of a new skein just to finish. And only a few feet at that. But, beautiful shawl. I love the color! The yarn looks great - what kind is it??

argoknit

http://photos.isaacsondesign.net/

[image]http://www.isaacsondesign.net/forum/fizgig.gif[/image]
Go to Top of Page

alliwenk
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  6:05:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit alliwenk's Homepage Send alliwenk a Private Message
Oooooooohhhh...how lovely. I have the pattern and the yarn (though I'm now hoping that I have enough :) and have been promising myself that I will start it after some other knitting obligations. You've got me really dreaming about it now. Can't wait to see it blocked out.

My Album and My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Chappysmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

519 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  7:15:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chappysmom's Homepage Send Chappysmom a Private Message
I used Knit Pick's "Shimmer" yarn--just a hair over 3 skeins. (As in, yes, I used a few feet of my 4th skein.) I do, however, tend to knit loosely, and I was using Addi Turbos, so it was slick. If I were a tighter knitter, chances are I would have had plenty to spare in skein #3.

And, Mokey? Frogging the last couple rows wasn't an option--the lace edging very specifically needed to be there!

Meanwhile, I've finished it now, except for the blocking, if you want to check the NEXT day's post on my blog . . . and if I'm lucky, I'll have beautiful Blocking shots this time tomorrow!

Deb in NJ

Deb in NJ
http://chappysmom.typepad.com/

Currently knitting:
Fiddlesticks' Peacock Feathers Shawl
Rowan "Elfin" sweater:
And, learning to spin!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: