Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 reconfiguring a pattern
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

szembko
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  12:09:36 PM  Show Profile Send szembko a Private Message
Help!!
I have a pattern that requires superbulky yarn.I would like make it using a lighter weight, but cannot figure out how to reconfigure the pattern. Can anyone help me??

sharon zembko

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  12:33:07 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
How complicated is the shaping? That is, does it have set in sleeves, what kind of neckline? I can get you startedon the easy part.

If you are knitting flat and the pattern is straight up to the armhole shaping, you can just cast on whatever number of stitches it will take to get the width you want. You did do a gauge swatch, right? So if you want the back to be 20 inches wide and your gauge is 5 stitches per inch, then you would cast on 100 stitches. If it starts on ribbing with a smaller number of stitches (often 10% less) you would cast on 90, do your ribbing, then increase to 100.

Remember that when you make a big change like that the drape and look will be quite different.

Someone smarter than I can advise on calculating the shaping.

Anita
My completed projects
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  1:50:54 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Download this program immediately!!!!! It was written by a man to help his wife who was a machine knitter but it works just as well for hand knitting. Follow the directions and it will do all the math for you. All you have to do then is write the new numbers on your pattern. You will need a good gauge swatch so that you know your stitches per inch and your rows per inch and your pattern when you run it. Sometimes it has skipped a few words when downloaded so if there is something you don't understand, just post it. I've used it for over 5 years now.

http://www2.ametro.net/orion/knitcomp.htm

fran
Go to Top of Page

szembko
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2005 :  08:22:01 AM  Show Profile Send szembko a Private Message
fmarrs,
thank you so very much. What a help!! I am so excited I can't wait to get started.

sharon zembko
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?