Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 What would be your perfect knitting day?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

MindfulKnitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

445 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  1:34:45 PM  Show Profile Send MindfulKnitter a Private Message
We were talking this morning about starting a new thread on what our ideal knitting day would be. Would anyone be interested in participating? We had some ideas, but I was afraid to post them for fear I might be thought of as being silly. Please forgive me if it's a bad idea. Regardless, have a lovely day.

Best wishes,
Patty and Jennifer

To know even one life has breathed easier because you lived . . . this is to have succeeded.

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  1:42:43 PM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
Today is pretty close! Having breakfast with my daughter, I was working on a two color celtic design sock. Then my daughter and I and our new dog Travis went outside in the sun. My daughter donned her gardening hat and gloves and started pulling weeds beside the balcony while I combed and spun some Romney fleece a few staples at a time with my sheltie snuffling in the fresh air and scent of ram fleece! After a couple of hours we came in and are now sitting around snacking and I have the sock out knitting again!
Go to Top of Page

cats
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  1:47:44 PM  Show Profile Send cats a Private Message
My perfect knitting day would start off with an all expenses paid trip through my LYS.

Realistically, a perfect knitting day would be sitting with other knitters, talking, and getting a lot done. Maybe learning something new. Also, a magic wand to truly organize my stash of yarn would be nice.

Not too much different from what goes on now but would be better if it could be for the whole day and working on something for myself.

A couple of perfect moments though were when I finished my first sweater (a top down raglan cardigan knit in one piece for my not quite 2 year old niece). My sister loved the sweater, it fit my niece okay (it was made a little big on purpose so she can wear it come winter), and people were asking what store she bought the sweater in.
Go to Top of Page

knittingbaglady
Permanent Resident

USA
1207 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  1:55:20 PM  Show Profile Send knittingbaglady a Private Message
It would start with a trip to my favorite yarn shop.
Then I'd be on the dock of the camp we rent for a week once a year in Maine. I'd have nothing to do all day, but knit. Family would be with me...doing their own thing, having fun. Sunny, but not too hot. High 60's...low 70's.
"Mom, could I get you another iced coffee?"

That would be hard to beat.

Martha.

http://www.greenmountainknittingbags.com/
Go to Top of Page

anyafire
New Pal

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  2:04:37 PM  Show Profile Send anyafire a Private Message
Oh, it would be fall, I think, either in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains outside Santa Fe, or maybe in upstate New York near Sugar Loaf. Clear skies, daytime temps around 55. Big old bed & breakfast full of knitting and stitching friends, a couple of parlors with comfy chairs and couches, a fire in the fireplace, free run of the kitchen, and lots of tea and cookies at our disposal. Maps to many knitting stores in the area, and someone else to do the cooking and the driving.

Yeah, I could do that.

Ann-Marie
Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  2:05:30 PM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
I guess I've experienced perfect knitting days in the past by attending the retreat (KR) at Graves Mountain Lodge. You wake up, get coffee and breakfast, go downstairs to the meeting room and knit with 25 other people who enjoy the same craft; learn a new skill or two for a couple of hours. Then we have some snacks, go outside on the porch and look out over the hills and knit some more. Get up, go eat lunch (lots of lunch), navigate the stairs and while you were eating, someone has been kind enough to set up a knitting shop or two in the meeting rooms for you to look through. Get another snack. Knit some more. Look at the hills some more. Talk with your knitting pals and be inspired by all the beautiful handiwork and colors for 2 or 3 more hours. Go back upstairs and sit at long tables and eat lots more for dinner. Continue to knit, share a bottle of wine, sit by the fire until you can't knit anymore. Then you end the day by going to your room and falling into bed with a big smile on your face. Thank you Clara for making it happen!

Rebecca

"Nothing you do for children is ever wasted"--Garrison Keillor
http://zentopia.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

westcoastchica
Seriously Hooked

Canada
788 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  2:08:20 PM  Show Profile Send westcoastchica a Private Message
Ooooo... my usual awesome knitting day is sitting on my favorite blue lounge chair in my living room with some music and a cup of tea, basking in the sunshine and knitting uninterrupted for hours. This happens *so* rarely, but it's great when it does happen.

I think my *perfect* knitting day would probably be hanging out on the deck of my mum's summer house on a warm summer day (there's plenty o' shade if it gets too hot) with a bucket of cold beverages, my family around me working on their various crafts chattering away. Nothing that needs to be done, nowhere to go... ya... that would be *sweet*

http://sapphyreknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  2:10:17 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Ann Marie, that sounds perfect to me. They only thing I would add some knitting books or mags to look through.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Gelliott
Seriously Hooked

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  2:44:56 PM  Show Profile Send Gelliott a Private Message
Sitting otudoors on a sunny, not too hot day or indoors on a cold day with my cat on my lap. Good conversation or good music or a beautiful view. A cup of tea or coffee... When I think about it, there are so many "ideal" knitting venues, that I can happily engage in my favorite hobby whenever I have time! Lucky us!

Jennifer and Patty, now it's definitely your turn to share!

Gelliott
Go to Top of Page

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  2:45:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message
Only one day? That would make it hard.

I guess for me, it would include all meals prepared and served (and cleaned up!) by someone else. No other outside chores.

Maybe like a spa-weekend.

Get up early, as the sun is rising. Do some yoga to stretch out and get limbered up for the day of knitting ahead.

Have a nice breakfast.

Sit down with a group of fellow knitters to spend time talking and knitting - I don't really care what I'm working on, it's just the joy of being WITH other knitters and having TIME to knit.

Midmorning, take a break, get up, go for a walk in the garden to stretch.

Knit some more.

Have a nice lunch with the other nice knitters. Maybe a handsome guy to serve us and take the plates away?

After lunch, go to a yarn store and spend an hour or so oohing and aaahing (and buying).

Come back, have a cup of tea, and knit some more.

Have a nice supper with the knitters.

After dinner, a concert, where we can bring our knitting. Since this is MY day, it would be a string quartet playing Dvorak or Brahms or something like that. The hall would be well-lighted and we'd be invited to knit while we listen.

Then, after the concert, desserts and sparkling wine for those who partake. Maybe a "fashion show" of people's most recent, or most impressive FOs.

Then, if the day has to end, all of us being driven in a limo (with enough room in the back so we can knit!) to our respective homes.
Go to Top of Page

LilyBeth
Gabber Extraordinaire

378 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  3:01:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit LilyBeth's Homepage Send LilyBeth a Private Message
My quilting group in North Carolina used to have quilting weekends over the MLK holiday at a house on the North Carolina beach. It was usually gorgeous--chilly, but not too cold to walk on the shore. And an entire day just to work on whatever you wanted with a lot of friendly, supportive people. We took turns cooking and would always eat out for one meal, so often you didn't have to stop until the last minute to eat.

Of course, the place usually looked like a sweatshop, with seven or eight sewing machines all going at once. That one thing I like about hand knitting--clicking needles are a nicer sound than whirring sewing machines.

Anyway, that would be a great knitting day for me.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  3:11:11 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
I had a few of those perfect days a couple of weeks ago. No yard or housework. Meals shared with DH and his family, and able to be out under clear blue skies and shadey oaks to knit in a quiet place with my dog in my lap. I could do that forever.

lella [img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]
http://zippiknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  3:19:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
any day that I don't feel guilty (I *really* need to work on that cross-stitch, sigh) for knitting for a couple hours is a good knitting day! I don't know...I'd have some music in the background, some snacky type foods and drinks (healthy and not-so-healthy) handy, a comfy chair, and someone(s) I love around for some conversation.

FO: scalloped baby blanket
WIPs: Winter Night Afghan, "Cleo" halter top
USO: Catch the Wave Afghan, Checkerboard Afghan, Ripple Afghan

If you could be guaranteed money, wisdom, or love, which would you choose?
Go to Top of Page

thdx3
Seriously Hooked

694 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  3:25:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit thdx3's Homepage Send thdx3 a Private Message
You guys are so cerebral. My perfect knitting day would start with a fried egg and bacon sandwich with mayo and continue with no kids, dogs or housework (DH and cats can stay as long as they don't ask for anything), a Lifetime Movie/Law and Order marathon, a gin and tonic, and silky yarn that glides through my fingers to make something beautiful. For me. Sigh.

Terri D. dreaming on in NYC
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  3:31:18 PM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
I had a wonderful spinning day (does that count?) a few weeks ago when I and a few other spinners from our local guild went on a "field trip" to a wonderful yarn and fibre shop in the next county. We walked around the farm admiring the rare breed sheep and the new sheepdog puppies and spent a couple of hours spinning together in the comfortable lounge area of her beautiful shop, exchanging stories and spinning information and goodies from our picnic lunches. Then we spent almost as long petting all her yarn and fibres and spending money...I`d been saving my pennies for this trip, and I bought a LOT.

Then when I got home my Hubby had taken the kids out somewhere, so I got to play with my new stash things in peace. Great day....

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

TracyKnits
Chatty Knitter

324 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  6:54:21 PM  Show Profile Send TracyKnits a Private Message
Last weekend I had what I thought was the perfect knitting evening. I'd had a very busy week & my plans for that night had been unexpectedly cancelled. (I was greatly relieved)

I spent the evening on the couch, totally alone. I had a huge bowl of popcorn and I alternated reading, watching Law & Order (I have Ti-vo so I can pause & restart at will) eating popcorn and knitting. A new knitting book and a magazine had both come in the mail that day. I was in heaven.

I think because the free time was unexpected - it felt like a gift. It was really wonderful.
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1927 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  7:26:33 PM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message
I had a lovely time this evening, I sat with new yarn and a new hat pattern, knitting and watching an entire concert from Lincoln Center on public tv. Gil Shaham playing Sibelius, a wonderful conductor, smooth stitching, and no interruptions--it was great! Chayah
Go to Top of Page

Punctuatedknitter
Seriously Hooked

819 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  7:46:32 PM  Show Profile Send Punctuatedknitter a Private Message
Sunny afternoon with a new magazine and some new yarn to admire and try out. After dinner, a gin and tonic, husband on couch next to me reading a good book aloud, and just about any project--but not weaving in the ends!
Go to Top of Page

nutsaboutknitting
New Pal

Australia
22 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  04:39:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit nutsaboutknitting's Homepage Send nutsaboutknitting a Private Message
My ideal knitting day would be no small people around, watching old movies with THE IV'S (my knitting buddies www.knitnbtich.com) chatting, drinking hot chocolate (laced with something to warm the cockles)eating homemade cookies, and knitting until our fingers, necks and wrists ached.
Go to Top of Page

Diane 2
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  04:41:40 AM  Show Profile Send Diane 2 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by LilyBeth

My quilting group in North Carolina used to have quilting weekends over the MLK holiday at a house on the North Carolina beach. It was usually gorgeous--chilly, but not too cold to walk on the shore. And an entire day just to work on whatever you wanted with a lot of friendly, supportive people. We took turns cooking and would always eat out for one meal, so often you didn't have to stop until the last minute to eat.

Of course, the place usually looked like a sweatshop, with seven or eight sewing machines all going at once. That one thing I like about hand knitting--clicking needles are a nicer sound than whirring sewing machines.

Anyway, that would be a great knitting day for me.

Go to Top of Page

glory212
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  04:42:10 AM  Show Profile Send glory212 a Private Message
My perfect knitting day is to have a project that I'm loving doing... (something on sorta small needles 5 or smaller; i.e. a lacy shawl, and / or a cotton wrap sweater as those are the two things I'm considering starting now) sitting in a rocking chair on a lake in the "mountains" (where we go on vacation) with a light breeze. .. . and knitting on my projects . . . . . . . . also NOT getting hungry so I could easily stick to my Weight Watchers program without stress and knit all afternoon. (( s m i l e )).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.88 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?