Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 What would be your perfect knitting day?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

jmredman@comcast.net

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  2:07:22 PM  Show Profile Send jmredman@comcast.net a Private Message
A cool refreshing day in the park by water, sitting in my fold up chair that I always keep in the trunk of my car, working on my latest project and a knitting magazine or two nearby when I need a break.
Go to Top of Page

MindfulKnitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

445 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  2:22:53 PM  Show Profile Send MindfulKnitter a Private Message
Thank you so much for your lovely reflections and for sharing your special wishes. We had hoped that this would prove to be a mini-mind vacation for all of us. We so enjoyed reading about your perfect knitting days. It was like going with you.

Gelliott, you caught me! I originally had written something up as to what my day would be and Jennifer was in the process of typing it for me. As I read it to her, I was afraid it would seem so boring. Anyway, since you asked, I will risk being boring and tell you what my perfect day would be. I would awaken, come in the kitchen and do my early morning chores. My 85-year-old mother would be snoring peacefully in her chair in the next room, Jennifer and Boots would be asleep in bed. I would feel a wonderful sense of peace and gratitude that those I loved were safe.

I would pray and then settle down to some lovely knitting. I would look out the kitchen window and see the grass gently blowing in the breeze. I would hear the little cardinal with its sweet chirping waiting for me to give it peanuts. Our afternoon would not be complete without a visit to KR. We so look forward to this every day. After this blissful interlude, I would do my daily chores and we would all have a lovely dinner. After dinner, I would work on my Melissa Leapman cable afghan (with Jennifer's help). Mother, Jennifer and I would sit around the kitchen table enjoying each others' company. Then there would be more chores until bedtime. Prayers again and some easy knitting on something like a mindful scarf. Most of all, I would cherish the time we had together and feel very thankful that I have been so blessed.

Thank you for being our friends and sharing your lovely thoughts with us.

Jennifer is sitting beside me looking with dread at the prospect of posting. But she is gradually coming out with her thoughts.

First of all, her allergies wouldn't be acting up. Then, Nonna would be reading her paper, we would all feel well, and she and I would be knitting. She specifically mentioned no knots in the yarn, no dropped stitches, and that she would finish something. (She is very completion-oriented. She makes lovely things but I wish she would relax more. She is very gifted, but somewhat driven.) She would then move on to her next planned project.

We would order pizza, because that would mean we could have it on paper plates and we wouldn't have to wash dishes. (Don't you love the way her mind works?) After dinner we would all be sitting around the kitchen table knitting together.

During the evening, Jennifer would play EverQuest online while knitting.

She would say her prayers before bed, and read from something like Jeffery Deaver or another of her favorite authors.

We are afraid this must seem terribly boring, but this would be our perfect day.

Best wishes,
Patty and Jennifer

To know even one life has breathed easier because you lived . . . this is to have succeeded.
Go to Top of Page

caitlin
New Pal

41 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  3:20:13 PM  Show Profile Send caitlin a Private Message
--all meals prepared and brought to the knitting area
--kids behaving wonderfully--make their beds, dress themselves, take a bath, etc., without my help or prodding
--husband saying "You go right ahead, dear, knit all day, buy more yarn."
--getting the perfect gauge on the first try
--knit an entire garment in one sitting while watching a good movie
Go to Top of Page

Knittinit
Chatty Knitter

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  9:38:27 PM  Show Profile Send Knittinit a Private Message
Dear MindfullKnitter (mostly, and to others as well), thanks for sharing in such detail! I like how you are able to realistically include your love of knitting in with the practicalities of running a household. I think so many of us look forward to the perfect vacation getaway-from-it-all-and-knit day, but the problem is that it's usually never satisfying enough-kind of like the prince that never really rescues us from dealing with the hard things in life (reality)! Maybe what I'm saying is that the "ideal" knitting experience" is being happy doing it how we are already doing it. May God bless you and see that you are fruitful in all your efforts to be creative and care for others while on "your perfect knitting day(s)"! Brenda

Brenda
Healdsburg, CA
Dreams of finished solar house & my own alpaca & angora to knit up.
[IMG] http://treed.mystarband.net/brenda/sheep2.gif[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

lmagarden@comcast.net

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  05:43:26 AM  Show Profile Send lmagarden@comcast.net a Private Message
After a busy day gardening,to sit down with my knitting ,fireplace going and watching my favorite baseball team..The Boston Red Sox beat the New York Yankees..makes my heart full and happy..family around to cheer completes the evening..Lo
Go to Top of Page

Two Sticks and a String
Permanent Resident

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  07:49:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Two Sticks and a String's Homepage Send Two Sticks and a String a Private Message
Is there such a thing as a "bad knitting" day? Each and every day that I can knit is a perfect day!

Dorene

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away." -Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Yarnovah
Warming Up

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  08:30:34 AM  Show Profile Send Yarnovah a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by caitlin

--
--husband saying "You go right ahead, dear, knit all day, buy more yarn."

Yes, Caitlin, I'd take just that for my "perfect
knitting day" LOL

Yarnovah
Go to Top of Page

Fivefibers
Permanent Resident

USA
1131 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  08:57:11 AM  Show Profile Send Fivefibers a Private Message
I would pretty much agree with Caitlin as well, with one small exception....... I would like to have Mel Gibson bring me my meals and help me to buy more sheep.

I would be ever so nice to you, Mel, dear!

Fivefibers
2sheep; 3goats; 5bunnies
(so far)
Go to Top of Page

Gelliott
Seriously Hooked

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  09:12:06 AM  Show Profile Send Gelliott a Private Message
Patty & Jennifer

Not boring at all. Peaceful and inviting happy reflection. That's what knitting is mainly about for me.

Gelliott

Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  10:31:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
Wow! See how great knitting is? Most people have described their perfect knitting day as having happened recently. Excellent. The attainable dream.
Anyhow, I am in the same group. I was recently at my camp and spent a terrific day puttering around in my new knitting studio. Some of the fun was just arranging furniture and designing the rest of the space. I actually completed two old and one new project that day, as well as peruse through many old design magazines (which had been in storage for about a decade). It was sunny and warm, and I could sit out on the deck just outside of the studio and watch the water and the sky and the forest and the birds.
The deck is on the second floor and so there is a feeling of floating in the forest canopy. It was glorious. A couple of times I grabbed hot tea or coffee from the kitchen, went for walks with my most excellent dogs, chatted with my husband, and was treated to an excellent dinner by my man.

Can't wait to be back there, but really, any day is a great day when you are knitting.
Arctic-mermaid
Go to Top of Page

MindfulKnitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

445 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  12:04:31 PM  Show Profile Send MindfulKnitter a Private Message
We are so pleased at the responses we have received. The idea of starting this thread was to give all of us a little mini-vacation in our minds (or a virtual getaway). It has been so nice hearing what each of your perfect days would be like. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Nicole, please tell us what your perfect knitting weekend would be like. We meant to go back and ask you yesterday, but didn't get back to it.

Brenda, your post was so sweet. We are glad you enjoyed ours as well. What you said is so true. So many times, we think if we could get away everything would be different, but a lot of times we are not able to because of our circumstances and responsibilities. In that case, it's good to be able to find beauty, pleasure and goodness everywhere we can. Thank you for your kind words and good wishes.

As for Mel Gibson, we think he is spoken for. If we are not mistaken, he is happily married with 7 children (sigh). Oh, well. We can dream. (We ourselves have a collection of all his movies on VCR tapes. )

Gelliott, that's the secret, isn't it? Peaceful and inviting happy reflections. What a beautiful description.

Thanks to all of you for sharing and have a wonderful knitting day!

Best wishes,
Patty and Jennifer

To know even one life has breathed easier because you lived . . . this is to have succeeded.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?