Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 What Should I Make with It?
 500 to 800 Yards
 500 yds...Baptism dress?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  10:47:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Hey all, I have 500 yds of a white cotton yarn that I am thinking of making into a baptism dress for little Rowan....Not being Catholic myself, what are they supposed to look like?

The yarn is DK weight and white. I probably would design something myself rather than use an existing pattern, but am unsure....

Looking for suggestions, please!

Kelley

Everywhere you go, there you are! Imagine that....

MomToTwo
Chatty Knitter

221 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  05:54:54 AM  Show Profile Send MomToTwo a Private Message
Pretty much like christening gowns in general. I've seen boys in elaborate long layette type gowns, and also in vests and shorts or knickers with stockings.

A quick web search on baptism dress will get you several sites dedicated just to selling them - from plain & simple to heirloom elaborate - including some knitted ones. Lots of great pictures to get ideas from.

And for a pattern, I found these two: http://members.tripod.com/lwalters1-ivil/gown.html
and
www.knitting-crochet.com/chrrob.html

Good luck in your search!
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  07:12:26 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
They look like white dresses in general, but if it is a Catholic ceremony, at one point the priest will anoint the child's chest with holy oil, so it is a good idea to have a gown with easy access to the chest. This can be as simple as a button that can be opened at the back of the neck and then the front pulled down. I have been at ceremonies where yards and yards of satin and lace had to be pulled up exposing the child in order to get to the chest. A little planning prevents this. Also, the gowns can be any length from a short dress to one of those that have the enormous skirts. If I had to, I would say the average is 34 to 36 inches long.

I have a pattern that I am preparing to sell on the Knitting Vault site. It is for a dress that has a ribbed bodice, short cap sleeves and a long lace skirt, trimmed with satin ribbons. It has taken into account the access problem and various sizes and is suitable for both boys and girls. The pattern is finished but is waiting for the photography before it is published. If you think you would be interested, I will send it to you. The charge would be a photograph of the child wearing the gown. It would be a simple matter to substitute a lace pattern of your choice for the skirt, or to add lace to the sleeves, since the fitting problems have all been worked out.

fran
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  10:22:14 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
For Roman Catholics and Anglicans they are the same - long white dress. If you prefer something simpler which more and more people are opting for you can knit a shawl or wrap; even though I doubt the boy would have use for it later, someone could get more use out of it than a gown.

"I firmly believe the Bible is the misinterpreted word of God." Mokey

www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.