Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitters vs Ask the Pilot in Salon
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

platys
Seriously Hooked

USA
719 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  12:33:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit platys's Homepage Send platys a Private Message
I feel a little silly posting this, given that I'm the Gail Lucas quoted in the column. Last week, the author of the Ask the Pilot column said that knitting needles were banned on airplanes. Well, we all know that's untrue. So, I (and it sounds like a ton of others, eek!) wrote him, correcting him. I actually wrote a longish letter (that's where the quotes came from) explaining about the mystique of knitting on airplanes.

Anyways, go see - if you don't have a Salon Membership, you can watch the Free Day Pass. Once you do, you can go anywhere on the site - check out Cary Tennis' advice column while you are there. It's so worth it.

http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/2005/06/17/askthepilot141/index.html

Here's my favorite part:

quote:
Among my discoveries: The lexicon of knitters and crocheters is even richer and more confusing than the one used by pilots, with more acronyms, abbreviations, and bizarre coding than you'll find in the entire manual of Federal Aviation Regulations. Offers the glossary of an online hobby site: "Enter the first few letters of a knitting term, in any language." (I expect to be told that the term "stitchery" was misused above.)

Gail
http://www.knittergail.com

gibsongirl
Seriously Hooked

965 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  12:46:04 PM  Show Profile Send gibsongirl a Private Message
Thanks for linking to the article, Gail! I'll have to go check it out--I like a lot of the sections on Salon.com, especially the arts and entertainment reviews by Heather Havrilesky and Stephanie Zacharek.

-gibsongirl
Go to Top of Page

zoeb
Warming Up

95 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  2:27:12 PM  Show Profile Send zoeb a Private Message
hey, gail--that's pretty neat that you were quoted--it was an interesting article--and i was glad to learn that corkscrews are now legal again--we went through a big hoop de doo finding a hiding place for our corkscrew on our last trip!

zoe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?