Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 How large?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  5:25:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
When I was much younger I had detailed lists of it all. I just returned from a trip in which I visited six yarn shops and had to buy new luggage to get it all home. I must've brought at least 60 skeins, hanks or balls. Many are 100 g to boot!

So it is time for sure to do a mega inventory. I will use a speadsheet and carry it on my PC in my purse. I have softwares with the inventory sheets, and may do that as well. Another cool little thing is the stitch'n beach "a knitter's design journal". Along with many handy design pages, there are many pages for cataloguing the Family Jewels.

One way or another, it will all be catalogued soon. I'm sure there's a cool symbiosis lurking in those shelves.

Arctic-mermaid
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  12:45:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
Thanks Elspeth;
Your question prompted me to inventory my stash. I've gone through all the yarn both leftover from other projects, or bought, but not yet being used. There is a small grocery bag of oddments in the range of 10-30m that I didn't count in.

Okay: 388 balls or hanks!!!!!!
54,894 metres or 60,384 yards
of that; these are the projects lurking in that stash:
7 pullovers/cardigans
1 vest
1 tote bag
6 shawls
2 hats
1 hat/mitt/scarf set
3 socks
for a total of 21 obvious projects (and might represent half to 2/3 of the stash)

I would say a 2-3 year stash. I feel good about that, because I won't be travelling too much for the next few months, and won't have opportunities to shop.

Having the inventory will help me with designing my projects. Interesting that much of the stash is worsted weight wool. Most of my active projects are laceweight and fingering, my prefered weight. So I'll have to consciously add in a bulkier project periodically.

Bye for now. I have a lot of knitting to do!
Arctic-mermaid

Go to Top of Page

lauriec
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  3:08:44 PM  Show Profile  Send lauriec a Yahoo! Message Send lauriec a Private Message
I just counted my stash----174 skeins/hanks. That's not including the 1/2 used or just started balls that I have in a basket or the 3 projects I have on needles.

Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2005 :  06:42:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
Mine is so big... I had to open a yarn shop. Seriously.

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2005 :  07:06:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Okay, Genia, you can come shopping at my house.

I have 180 gallons of yarn. And 120 gallons of fiber. And 45 gallons of raw fleece. Random project bags don't count, right? Good. Then yup, those are my totals.

I am DONE shopping (except for one pair of socks' worth of yarn from Jen at the KR Retreat, if she has the color I want, but those don't count, they're a gift for a friend who will be out of work for 8 weeks on medical leave) for a long long long time. Except for spinning wheels. I only have two of them, and that's not even an official collection.

I stash like things together. I've got bins of sock yarn, bins of "summer" yarns (cotton, bamboo, that sort) bins of winter yarn, bins of alpaca (my favorite, so there's enough to keep it separate from all the others), spinning fibers, alpaca spinning fibers, raw fleece, raw alpaca.... etc....

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

sweatpea
Chatty Knitter

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  4:23:06 PM  Show Profile Send sweatpea a Private Message
Hi All:
Wow, you guys sure have a lot of yarn. A couple of years ago I gave most of my "yarn stash" away to a missionay who likes to make afgans when she is on the field. I wasn't knitting much then, (taking a break) I am back in full force and do not miss my stash at all. I am determined not to build it up like that again. I have knit about 18 pairs of socks in a year and a half. I even made a pair from a mixture of my left overs. I have also been making a lot of felted projects. I am determined to keep it streamlined. So I try and find something to knit from the left overs. However, I know that somewhere along the line I will end up with a bunch of left overs. Now don't all hate me. I also have to keep a crochet cotton stash and biggist of all my quilting stash. How else can I manage it all.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.88 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?