Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting in the dark in a movie theatre . . .
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Schleppenheimer
Seriously Hooked

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  12:47:41 PM  Show Profile Send Schleppenheimer a Private Message
Today was my first experience knitting in a movie theatre. I decided to take my 9 year old boy to see "Herbie -- Fully Loaded" and although I like Disney movies, I was dieing to have something to do while at the movie. Luck would have it, I had just bought some ribbon yarn (my first use of ribbon yarn, too) and had the pattern with me, and it was monotonous enough in the beginning of the pattern that I could afford to start it out in the near-dark of the theatre. I literally felt like I was getting away with murder -- my son was happy at the movie, and I was happy because I was knitting!

I bet a ton of you out there have done this a lot more than I have. Any good "knitting in the theatre" stories? Does it bother your significant other when you do? Do you have a rough time keeping up with the story lines of the movie?

Kris

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  12:56:14 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
Buttery fingers is the only thing that keeps me from doing this.. lol

lella [img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]
http://zippiknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  1:03:11 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I will only do it if no one is sitting around me.It also depends on the noise of the needles and how extreme the arm movements are.

"I firmly believe the Bible is the misinterpreted word of God." Mokey

www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  1:07:40 PM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
I was knitting a sock at a movie a couple of months ago, and found another knitter waving at me. She was making a scarf. We both put our work away when the lights dimmed though - the film was "Born into Brothels" which we all wanted to see.

My mother regularly knitted during movies and apparently never made mistakes in the dark. I don't know if I could do this, I'd be too worried that I messed up somewhere.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Schleppenheimer
Seriously Hooked

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  1:22:01 PM  Show Profile Send Schleppenheimer a Private Message
Yeah, I think I would be more intimidated about knitting in a theatre if the theatre was full (today it was sparsely populated) or if my knitting needles made noise (today, they did not).

And butter on my hands . . . well . . . that would definitely be a no-go for the knitting! My hands, though, would usually have melted chocolate rather than butter . . .

Kris
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  1:42:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I regularly knit during the previews, but try very hard not to go see movies that I don't want to see, so I seldom knit during the movie itself (I find it harder to hear and follow the story in public places because of the noise of others, so while I knit almost non-stop through movies at home, it's just the previews for knitting in the theater)

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

TracyKnits
Chatty Knitter

324 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  3:20:38 PM  Show Profile Send TracyKnits a Private Message
I knit while waiting for the movie to start but once it does I put it away and then I'm into my popcorn. Not having kids I really don't go to the movies unless it's something I'd really like to see.
Go to Top of Page

Bookworm
Chatty Knitter

USA
265 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  4:43:43 PM  Show Profile Send Bookworm a Private Message
I'm thinking about trying it. Our local movie has a counter and little lamps in front of the seats so it isn't completely dark. You can order food or even wine, and they bring it to you. Not first run movies, but we saw "Madagascar" last weekend.
Hazel
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1926 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  5:13:50 PM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message
Bookworm, that sounds like a nice theatre! I have tried to knit during movies but I made too many mistakes. I do bring my knitting to do before the movie starts if I'm early. Chayah
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  6:17:06 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
I knitted a sock during the last Harry Potter film, and I worked on a poncho during the most recent Star Wars movie; both projects were easy to knit in the cinema because I was just knitting around and around.

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2005 Stats: 3 WIPs, 15 FOs
Go to Top of Page

KellyPg
Chatty Knitter

Malaysia
167 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  6:47:57 PM  Show Profile Send KellyPg a Private Message
I have considered knitting at a theatre when I go for 2nd or 3rd run, but my significant other is very good about providing snacks for me, especially my favorite caramel popcorn from one theatre company. Of course, the 2nd & 3rd run is his idea. :) I've never gone to a movie alone; I'd rather watch it at home then, if I watch it at all.

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  9:10:36 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message

I never take my knitting to the movies, because I am worried about dropping stitches in the dark.I always knit while watching videos at home,but when I go to the movies I like to sit back and relax,and just concentrate on the movie.

Leslie
Go to Top of Page

gdelrosa
Seriously Hooked

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  10:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit gdelrosa's Homepage  Send gdelrosa a Yahoo! Message Send gdelrosa a Private Message
I agree with Leslie. I drop stitches when I try to knit too fast. I can't even imagine trying to knit in the dark. Maybe a simple garter stitch scarf...That might work in the dark.

I changed my blog name: www.gailknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

thdx3
Seriously Hooked

692 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  02:03:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit thdx3's Homepage Send thdx3 a Private Message
I knit in movies all the time; in fact just came back from garter-stitching my way through Mr. and Mrs. Smith (disappointingly boring, although Brad Pitt is still a dreamboat). I always knit simple stuff on circular needles to avoid stabbing anyone sitting near me (tonight it was a sweater sleeve). I go v-e-r-y slowly, mostly knitting by feel and surreptitiously checking my work during daylight scenes or explosions during the film. I figure my knitting is no more distracting than someone rustling a popcorn bag.

Knit on -

Terri D. in NYC
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  02:57:35 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
Lol Terri D, yes, those annoying bags.. But, most popcorn comes in tubs with lots of butter. Yum! I love those extreme arm movements Mokey. I'm trying to imagine them distrubing other moviegoers. I wonder if extreme knitting has ever been a tv show or a sport? It's way too late to be posting but if I were to try to knit, it wouldn't be a very good thing either. Falling asleep over a handful of DPNs seems like a good way to lose an eye.

lella [img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]
http://zippiknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Two Sticks and a String
Permanent Resident

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  05:10:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Two Sticks and a String's Homepage Send Two Sticks and a String a Private Message
I never thought about knitting at the movies. Gosh, I'm afraid to put my pocketbook on the ground due the filth, dropped sodas, candies, popcorn... nevermind my knitting bag!?!

Dorene

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away." -Unknown
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  05:16:33 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
Dropping stitches is fixable. It's dropped knitting needles I worry about....

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page

Ruby Plaid
Seriously Hooked

USA
661 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  05:18:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ruby Plaid's Homepage Send Ruby Plaid a Private Message
The only time I brought knitting to a theater was for the midnight premiere of the last Star Wars movie, since I'd have a couple of hours to kill before the movie actually started. A friend and I knit while we waited for the movie to begin, but all the lights were on and everyone was playing Gameboys, reading, etc. anyway.

I wouldn't chance it in the dark though!

My blog has a new home: http://www.xanga.com/RubyPlaid

Visit my crafts website: http://www.geocities.com/hotelcrafty
Go to Top of Page

Meadra
Chatty Knitter

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  07:20:28 AM  Show Profile Send Meadra a Private Message
I took my husband to see Batman Begins on Sunday for Father's Day. We went to this really cool theater call Smitty's in which you can order food and stuff and it gets served to you by waitstaff. I brought the sock I was working on because they do not start to sell tickets until an hour before hand and you sometimes end up waiting in a very long line. There was no line on Sunday so I got to knit once we got to our seats and while we waited for the waitress to bring us the food we had ordered. I put it away once the food came since I didn't want to get salsa or marinara sauce on my sock.

If you are ever in the lakes region of NH, be sure to check it out. It's really cool and they show first run movies and it's pretty cheap to get in (and ordering food is not required). www.smittyscinema.com

Christy
Go to Top of Page

HoJo
Permanent Resident

USA
1474 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2005 :  09:16:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit HoJo's Homepage Send HoJo a Private Message
I always knit in the movie theatres. I take either in the round or simple garter stitch projects with me. I often get alot done this way.

I have no problem knitting in the dark since I rarely look at my projects anyway (even in the light) while I'm knitting.

HoJo

"Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, only backwards and in high heels." Faith Whittesley

Our estore: www.fullthreadahead.com

My blog: www.fullthreadahead.com/blog
Go to Top of Page

sanity101
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
594 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2005 :  12:04:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit sanity101's Homepage Send sanity101 a Private Message
My grandmother used to do this all the time!

Personally, I don't go to movies often enough to make it much of an issue, if I'm paying that much for it, I'll give it my full attention. I can see that changing if you're taking kids to things though.

The only thing I'd worry about would be changing gauge during the exciting parts, I find that I tend to tense a litte during action sequences in theatres, and can't imagine that that would produce even stitches.

I have knit in the dark though, and just put things down to fix later when I though I hit trouble.

-C
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.