Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting in the dark in a movie theatre . . .
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

anang310
Chatty Knitter

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2005 :  6:09:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit anang310's Homepage Send anang310 a Private Message
The movie theatre is one of my fave places to knit. I usually bring a sock along, since it's small and easy to knit in the dark.

I did put my knitting away when I saw Ep. III, though. I was way tense about what I knew was coming--I was afraid I might snap a needle!

http://www.anitaderouen.net/knitnut
Go to Top of Page

westcoastchica
Seriously Hooked

Canada
788 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2005 :  6:37:01 PM  Show Profile Send westcoastchica a Private Message
I don't think I could knit in a movie theater!! Maybe if I had kids and had to sit through G-rated movies on a regular basis, but I tend to go to movies with lots of action (Batman Begins RULED), so I don't think I'd get much knitting done. I can knit while watching TV, but at the movies? Maybe I'll have to try it sometime just so I can say I did it!

http://sapphyreknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

reba
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2005 :  10:52:38 AM  Show Profile Send reba a Private Message
I finished about 4 inches of a child's size 10, in the round, top-down, plain stockinette stich sweater last week during Mr. and Mrs. Smith. It was great! I never worry about it as I do most of my knitting in front of the TV at home anyway and rarely need to look at what's going on with a simple thing like this. Socks are also good, I keep a pair on the needles in a bag in the car just in case I run into a waiting/watching period unexpectedly.

Give it a try, see how far you get on a project in the round (bottom of sweater, or sleeve with regular increases/decreases) without looking and work your way up to it. It's greatly increased my knitting time!
Go to Top of Page

Diane
Gabber Extraordinaire

366 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2005 :  2:34:32 PM  Show Profile Send Diane a Private Message
Took my knitting with me the last time I went to see a movie with my niece and her roommate -- it was an easy project, I was using rosewood needles, and it was a weeknite, so not too many people. My niece laughed at me when she saw it, she lived with us last winter while she was doing an internship and she tried to learn.....she knows what an addict I am. I have never tried to do it when I take my kids to the movies, too much chaos! Don't get to many movies......
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2005 :  8:29:38 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message
My mother once told me that a friend of hers made argyle socks at the movies. (!!)

I rarely go to the movies but knit during meetings. Two Friends of the Library meetings ago I took my knitting and one woman said, "Oh, Margie! You knit! Will you help me?" She took her WIP to our latest meeting. We both sat there knitting.

I knit during City Council meetingss, too. While watching TV (all maybe 5 hours a week), while reading, waiting for the bus, on the bus. Why miss a good opportunity?

Margie

We can leave as soon as I have my knitting in hand.
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  05:19:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message
I knit socks in the movie theater too. I always knit through the boring stuff before the previews and through some of the previews. If the movie is good, I don't knit much. If it's bad, I don't feel as tortured because I have something to do.

http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

rhys
Chatty Knitter

138 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  07:37:12 AM  Show Profile Send rhys a Private Message
I knitted on Saturday nite to all the commercials before Mr & Mrs Smith started. Our theater has about 20 minute of commercials + MrRhys likes to get there early. I'm not about to waste 30 minutes of knitting time. I was only working on an I cord anyway.
Go to Top of Page

fin
New Pal

20 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  07:52:49 AM  Show Profile Send fin a Private Message
When I first knit at movies I took hats that I would felt. I would knit at home past the brim and then it is seven inches straight knitting. Little mistakes didn't matter because they don't show up when felted. When I once came out of a movie with 3 extra inches that had to be pulled out, I decided it was time to venture on to other projects for the movies. It is kind of exciting to go home after the movie and look for mistakes that need to be fixed. (None recently, yahoo!!).
Go to Top of Page

pixie_day
Chatty Knitter

130 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  11:25:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit pixie_day's Homepage Send pixie_day a Private Message
I always knit at the movies. Usually socks, but occassionally I will knit on a simple sweater. I have dropped stitches, but they are easily corrected. I knit entirely by feel on simple projects so the lighting isn't an issue. And it helps me to not focus on the rude people having conversations (of which I am always sitting next to, very bad luck at the movies)

Mindy
Go to Top of Page

Schleppenheimer
Seriously Hooked

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  1:23:59 PM  Show Profile Send Schleppenheimer a Private Message
I just found it very liberating, knitting for the first time in this movie, because I didn't realize that I could knit and do it well purely by feel! That was a big deal for me!

I cannot imagine how anyone could knit argyle socks in the dark, though. Now that's REAL talent!

Kris
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  2:47:27 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I don't have enough experience to do the "look, Ma, no eyes" thing, but I do take my knitting everywhere, just in case. It's gotten to the point where I actually look forward to waiting time.

I took SnL in for testing Sunday morning,(those psych educational eval tests), and the doc warned me it would be about 3 hrs. I told him not to worry, I'd bring my knitting.

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

Jenknitter
Chatty Knitter

164 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  2:59:21 PM  Show Profile Send Jenknitter a Private Message
I don't go to the movies too often because I don't like the prices, but I knit when I go. No cables, or such, only simple stockinette, or knitting in the round for me. I can't imagine not having it with me. My hands get restless fast if I don't have yarn and needles in them.

http://jenknitter.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MJB
Chatty Knitter

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  7:29:28 PM  Show Profile Send MJB a Private Message
Yup..I have been known to knit in the moives.....that LONG movie about the rich airplane designer...whew...got lots accomplished through that one!
mjb
Go to Top of Page

LennoxInion@hotmail.com

USA
Posted - 06/30/2005 :  12:11:00 AM  Show Profile Send LennoxInion@hotmail.com a Private Message
I haven't knitted in a theater yet ~ though I really wanted to last night at a Lyle Lovett concert ~ but I will try it soon. I'm glad I didn't take my knitting last night, because (1) I had such a great time without it, and (2) the seats were very close together. But in a MOVIE theater I will likely try it soon, as long as the film isn't "too dark". I'm not sure I'm ready to knit in Braille yet.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  01:42:41 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I knit during movies at home all the time. I used to do it in movie theaters too. In fact, I always carried knitting with me whatever and wherever I was going. To be honest, though, it has been over 7 years since I went to a movie in a theater and it doesn't seem likely I will be doing it again.

fran
Go to Top of Page

stevenbaer@verizon.net

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  04:17:45 AM  Show Profile Send stevenbaer@verizon.net a Private Message
My mom was a speed knitter. When we went to the movies all during the 50's and 60's, she would take her knitting and you could hear her light clicking throughout the movie. She could complete a whole piece (back, front, sleeve) during a two and 1/2 hour movie. She also was an insomniac and would knit between 12 to 3 am each night. She knit everything for us -- from my father's neckties to my winter coats (which she lined)and socks to our lace tablecloths and curtains. I didn't buy a store-bought sweater or socks until I went away to college at age 18!
Go to Top of Page

Elaine@PA
New Pal

16 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  05:22:41 AM  Show Profile Send Elaine@PA a Private Message
Great to see I am not alone. At first I only knitted during the previews but now knit during the movie. I work on caps to give to Children in Common. It is mindless knitting and small enough to carry in my pocketbook. We go to movies in the afternoon when it is not crowded and don't have the problem of people sitting near us. I use circular needles so I don't drop one. I always liked to get popcorn in the movies but now I don't because I would rather knit. (Of course, I can eat candy).

Go to Top of Page

TllGrrl
New Pal

34 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  06:19:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit TllGrrl's Homepage Send TllGrrl a Private Message
I've knitted at the movies since I was in college.
The only time I don't knit during the movie is if it's packed and there are people on either side of me...or if I'm going to snack.
Though I knit Continental style, making for minimal movement, since I knit with Addis I think the twinkling when they catch light would be a bit distracting to anyone sitting next to me. I know I can see someone's cellphone light up clear across the theatre out of the corner of my eye!
If I'm not surrounded by people, I knit away.
I've never seen another person knit, but more than once on the way out someone has tapped me and said, "I'm bringing my knitting next time!"

www.fivefoottwelve.com
"Creativity lies at the interface of discipline and chaos."
Go to Top of Page

wittyknits
Chatty Knitter

109 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  06:38:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit wittyknits's Homepage Send wittyknits a Private Message
I hardly ever go to the movies and don't knit. Now normally, we see films at a small local theatre that has a bar and pizza place inside, so it's a bit more casual, but I've even knitted at the reperatory series in one of our big theatres. As long as I'm using bamboo needles, it doesn't make any noise, and I only take projects that I can knit by feel: stockinette, seed stitch.

I did once make the mistake of trying to cast on and knit a double stranded eyelash scarf in a movie. Not a good idea. I ended up with twice as many stitches on the needle than I started with when the movie ended.
Go to Top of Page

mmb@iveybauer.com

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  06:47:52 AM  Show Profile Send mmb@iveybauer.com a Private Message
I have worked on numerous top down sweaters and other straight knitting projects in movie theatres and plays. Sock are also a great project to take, fairly mindless and small, it fits in your purse.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?