Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting in the dark in a movie theatre . . .
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

levis_mama
Chatty Knitter

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  07:26:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit levis_mama's Homepage Send levis_mama a Private Message
Movies, no problem. Theater, never. Not even during intermission; there's not time with the lines to the ladies' room being so long.

My SOP for Movie Knitting: Get a feel for the project or cast on before the previews if you didn't have time before leaving. Small projects, preferably knit in the round or on circs so you don't drop a needle. Bamboo needles; they are quieter. St St only; no counting or keeping track of ribbing. Good, non-splitty yarn - learned that one the hard way. No ripping. Lots of napkins for buttery fingers. Ignore the spouse's complaints about it. Bring your knitting in a vinyl bag so if the movie is crowded, it won't matter if the floor is sticky (vinyl won't make the noise a plastic bag will).

Braille Knitting -- that was funny.

StephanieR
Somebody get me something deep-fried and smothered in chocolate! --Fairy Godmother

http://stitchandkvetch.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tricotine17
New Pal

0 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  10:02:26 AM  Show Profile Send Tricotine17 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Schleppenheimer

Today was my first experience knitting in a movie theatre. I decided to take my 9 year old boy to see "Herbie -- Fully Loaded" and although I like Disney movies, I was dieing to have something to do while at the movie. Luck would have it, I had just bought some ribbon yarn (my first use of ribbon yarn, too) and had the pattern with me, and it was monotonous enough in the beginning of the pattern that I could afford to start it out in the near-dark of the theatre. I literally felt like I was getting away with murder -- my son was happy at the movie, and I was happy because I was knitting!

I bet a ton of you out there have done this a lot more than I have. Any good "knitting in the theatre" stories? Does it bother your significant other when you do? Do you have a rough time keeping up with the story lines of the movie?

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Tricotine17
New Pal

0 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  10:12:03 AM  Show Profile Send Tricotine17 a Private Message
I wouldn't dream of going to the movies without my knitting!
A 4-hour "Napoleon" movie: most of a baby bunting. Ketchup-soaked "Passion of the Christ:" the back of a sweater. Interminable third episode of "Lord of the Rings:" most of a pair of socks. Usually, though, I watch movies at home with my feet on a footstool and the cat on my lap, free of rude popcorn eating, chatting people and/or whining kids. Much happier experience! The complicated projects that require counting and keeping track of the rows, I reserve for newstimes ...
Sorry, Kris, I didn't mean to spit your message back out to you, I am just not too savvy about this forum system. I'll learn...
Happy movie/knitting! Tricotine17
Quote: "To knit creatively, you have only to let your imagination go: Barbara Walker
Go to Top of Page

mrsjkoster
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  10:38:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit mrsjkoster's Homepage  Send mrsjkoster a Yahoo! Message Send mrsjkoster a Private Message
I've been knitting at the movies for years. Usually, I just do a dishcloth, or the basic stockinette stitch portion of a sweater. Once, a theater owner saw my knitting in my bag and wondered why I would bring that to the movies. At the end of the movie, as we walked out, I showed him the finished dishcloth. He's been a theater owner since the 1960s, and he said that was a new one! If you like popcorn, just remember to take a wet wipe!
Go to Top of Page

elspethm
Chatty Knitter

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  10:42:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit elspethm's Homepage Send elspethm a Private Message
I don't get to the movies much anymore, but when I do go it's with my son and I don't really care if I miss too much of a kid's movie. I bring a garter stitch project and circular needles (which I use all the time anyway) and I figure even if I screw up, I can just frog back the whole way. The risk of messing up something isn't as great as possibly getting some knitting done. Of course recently I've gone with a couple of adults too and I feel weird knitting even though my friend who comes with us also knits.

Elspeth

http://ladybug326.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lesfisch
New Pal

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  10:57:57 AM  Show Profile Send lesfisch a Private Message
It had never occurred to me to give it a try until I read it in the Yarn Harlot. However, the first time I tried was at Star Wars Episode III. After the first minute or two, I was too engrossed in the film to actually accomphish any knitting. I also didn't use the seat back during that entire movie!!!!
Go to Top of Page

lenise
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  11:41:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit lenise's Homepage Send lenise a Private Message
I figured out the perfect movie theater to knit: the drive-in! They usually play two movies into the night which is a perfect amount of time for me. I've mentioned this to my fiance and he loves the idea. Though I hadn't mentioned to him the only reason I want to do this is so I can sit and knit while not bothering anybody. He'll probably figure out soon enough.

me: www.lenise.com
blog: www.creepwithneedles.com
Go to Top of Page

mm70fish@aol.com

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  3:21:54 PM  Show Profile Send mm70fish@aol.com a Private Message
If I can knit and watch TV and not lose the story line, then why not in the movie theatre?
I taught a blind woman to knit by feel. Similar situation, but not permanent.

Marti
Go to Top of Page

becka always
Permanent Resident

USA
1959 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  3:27:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit becka always's Homepage Send becka always a Private Message
Okay, I've knit everywhere, I'll pull my knitting out at someone's house[whatever], I've knit waiting on church to start (get there very early bc my husband plays guitar & sings @ church..I don't knit during church or anything...gotta make that one clear...lol!); of course, in dr.'s office; knit in the car ALL THE TIME, my husband drives,I detest driving; I knit while watching movies at home...but movie theaters...nope, couldn't do that!! I just don't think others would appreciate my comments...because they would be about knitting..not even the movie...lol!
And lenise...where do you live that there's still a drive-in?! I'd knit there in a minute..after I got done making out & stuff with my husband...gosh...I haven't seen a drive in since I was ...[whatever]let's just say..younger!! [:00]the drive-in is the best place to go to the movies and stuff...

[blush]Addicted to the Knit
Becka Always
Go to Top of Page

IsleoClare@aol.com

USA
Posted - 07/01/2005 :  06:53:28 AM  Show Profile Send IsleoClare@aol.com a Private Message
I've been knitting in the movies for years. Much to the embarassment to my sons.Don't know why they should be cmplainig, they usally get the end results! Clare
Go to Top of Page

LaurieAdlerAnderson
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  08:09:19 AM  Show Profile Send LaurieAdlerAnderson a Private Message
I ALWAYS knit in movie theater darkness...usually something straight stockinette or knit, so I don't make mistakes--I DETEST straight knitting, it gets tedious. [whatever] I've knit for 45 years, so it isn't so hard not looking. And speaking of popcorn, have you seen the PRICES? I keep a handle on my love handles and wallet by knitting, and if I have chocolate cravings, I knit with chocolate-brown wool!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle--Philo
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  09:15:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
Of course, you have to actually go to movies in order to try this!

We don't have time to go to movies very often, although next time we do I'm going to take my knitting. I can tolerate my DH's taste in movies, but he can't stand mine. (THis is the other reason why we don't go.) Consequently, I usually end up sitting through a movie I'd be more than happy to have never seen, and I think my knitting will be the perfect antedote. .

No matter what the quality of the movie or my level of enjoyment, though, I always feel like my time could have been better spent elsewhere. I LOVE watching movies at home for that very reason. An afternoon of movies in my living room, with projects around and the freedom to move as I want is my idea of heaven!

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

jpjcos@qwest.net
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  3:07:47 PM  Show Profile Send jpjcos@qwest.net a Private Message
I started knitting at age 7 and by high school was knitting pn the school bus. When the girls would hit the movies on a Saturday afternoon, I had my knitting on hand. I also knitted at school when we showed a movie. I'm going to date myself, since I did this in the 50's. I have knitting projects for every occasion, nothing intricate while watching movies.
Go to Top of Page

kathiet
Warming Up

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  8:53:38 PM  Show Profile Send kathiet a Private Message
I knit during the last 2 movies I attended: "Lord of the Rings: The 2 Towers" and "Lord of the Rings: Return of the King". During "The 2 Towers", I made a cotton swirl pattern washcloth on wooden doublepoints, didn't look at the knitting, and didn't miss any of the movie. For "Return of the King", I made the mistake of bringing colorwork and within a round realized that I needed to see to keep track of that pattern, so I put it away. I now know that I can do simple texture patterns by feel but have to see to keep colorwork straight.

Kate, south of Chicago
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  11:10:53 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by klfrazier

I can tolerate my DH's taste in movies, but he can't stand mine. (THis is the other reason why we don't go.)

That's why I usually go to see films on my own!

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

Pampered Punkin
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  01:46:03 AM  Show Profile Send Pampered Punkin a Private Message
I only go to the movies about once every 1 1/2-2 years. I recently went to see the new Star Wars movie with my husband and worked on a sweater through the entire movie. The piece that I was working on was straight stocking knit so it wasn't very difficult. I'm used to knitting in the dark during long car rides so I wasn't bothered by the lack of good lighting (I don't usually look at my work unless I'm doing pattern work anyway). I just had to be careful about keeping the yarn off of the sticky gross floor.

The funny thing is that I retained more of the story from this episode of the series than I have from any of the others and this is the first time that I have knitted in a movie theater.

Trish M.
Go to Top of Page

vrelf@earthlink.net

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  09:40:12 AM  Show Profile Send vrelf@earthlink.net a Private Message
Yes, I've knitted in movie theaters for over 40 years, but I've never seen anyone else doing it. It's good to read that others do it, too.
Go to Top of Page

Stitching Fool
Chatty Knitter

196 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  07:04:20 AM  Show Profile Send Stitching Fool a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bookworm

I'm thinking about trying it. Our local movie has a counter and little lamps in front of the seats so it isn't completely dark. You can order food or even wine, and they bring it to you. Not first run movies, but we saw "Madagascar" last weekend.
Hazel

lamps, food, wine....where is this jewel I've been waiting for?!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?