Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Color Theory
 Matching
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elspethm
Chatty Knitter

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2005 :  09:32:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit elspethm's Homepage Send elspethm a Private Message
I have a (big?) problem. I dyed one skein of Brown Sheep Wool/Mohair and really liked the color combination. I thought I had enough for the popcorn shrug from IK but I just ran out and am only 2/3 of the way done. I have tons more yarn to dye but I'm not sure how I'm going to make the next skein match enough. I hate to pull apart all the knitting I've already done, plus I don't know what else to do with the yarn.

I did try two other skeins with similar colors but I don't think they match well enough. They match each other okay, though. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Elspeth

http://ladybug326.blogspot.com

Knitting Fever
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
548 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2005 :  11:59:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knitting Fever's Homepage Send Knitting Fever a Private Message
It is very iffy to get a match again even if you measured your dyes, etc. precisely. It sounds like to me your best bet would be to start over and use the two that match each other okay. I just cannot see any way around it without having to re-do you knitting in some fashion or another.

Carolyn
http://carolynh.tblog.com/
Go to Top of Page

knitswithcolors
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2005 :  2:33:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitswithcolors's Homepage Send knitswithcolors a Private Message
Is it possible to make some kind of a stripe or patterns to transition between the two pairs of wools? Just an idea.
Go to Top of Page

elspethm
Chatty Knitter

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2005 :  10:48:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit elspethm's Homepage Send elspethm a Private Message
I think I've been lucky in that my attempt to replicate the colors is matching pretty well. At least good enough for me, since I'm detail oriented but also lazy!

Elspeth

http://ladybug326.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2005 :  2:15:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
To avoid a definite line between dyelots, frog back a few inches and alternate rows between the original yarn and the second dye lot. The difference between the two will be a lot less noticeable then.

KathyR

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  11:03:36 AM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
Once I put a strip of creamy wool with a cable on it into the front edge of a hood and down each front panel of the cardigan to stretch when I didn't have enough of one color yarn. It made a beautiful sweater with the oatmeal flecked main color.
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  9:39:59 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message
Kathy R took the words out of my mouth -- how to blend in almost matches.

Margie
Go to Top of Page

ForestBird
Chatty Knitter

USA
265 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  9:22:20 PM  Show Profile Send ForestBird a Private Message
How about if you dye some more yarn to get as close a match as you can get, then overdye? You could overdye the already-knitted piece alongside the un-knitted yarn, and the overdye will unite the whole.

If you have a color combination of, say, light lemon yellows and turquoise blues, an overdye of a light blue would allow the lemon yellow to become a spring green and the turquoise blue to intensify its blue-ness and the "canvas" will be more uniform and any differences minimized.

I have done this and I am always pleasantly surprised by the results of overdyeing in bringing unity.

"Art is the imposing of a pattern on experience, and our aesthetic enjoyment is recognition of the pattern."
Alfred North Whitehead, Dialogues (1954)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe