Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Gifts from Gramma
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

katxena
Chatty Knitter

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  2:45:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit katxena's Homepage Send katxena a Private Message

My Gramma gave me some wonderful Christmas gifts. She used to knit but her interest has shifted to other crafts.

Her sewing circle had a fund-raising sale, and someone donated a set of Aero knitting needles, which she purchased for me.

It has 37 sets of needles in various sizes, including straights, dpns and circs. It also includes gizmos (like barrel counters, stitch holders and cable needles) of various sorts and sizes. They came in a black case with a zipper that looks like an artists portfolio that has slots of various sizes for the different needles. Most of the needles look quite old (they have prices on them like 95-cents and $1.10), but most look like they've never been used.

I'm really excited to have these, since I'm a new knitter and didn't have all that many needles before.

She also gave me her stash of wool from New Zealand. It's all DK weight 100% wool (she doesn't wear wool anymore and I'm the only person she knows who does). Some of it is over 50 years old -- she brought it with her when she came to the U.S. as a war bride. Others she bought on various trips to see her family but never knit up. There's enough wool for about 10 large projects (like sweaters), and countless more for hats, socks, scarves, and so forth. I figure if I'm not wild about the colors, I can always dye it with kool aid!

Along with the stash, she gave me a bunch of odd balls -- we went through them and she told me what she had made out of each and for whom. It was cool to hear about all the stuff she has made for various family members.

And finally, she gave me her collection of knitting patterns. They are mostly from the 1950s and 1980s (the two decades during which she knit the most).

I'm totally thrilled by all this! I had to get another bag for it all so that I could get it on the plane!

Kris
http://www.papaya-palace.com

Karen F
Sustaining Member

248 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  3:32:29 PM  Show Profile Send Karen F a Private Message
You are blessed to have these treasures from your Gramma. What a bit of history and family knowledge you have inherited. I think that is a wonderful New Year's gift you received. Passing on the art and tradition of knitting from one generation to another.
Regards,
Karen

Go to Top of Page

jmweis
Chatty Knitter

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  3:46:22 PM  Show Profile Send jmweis a Private Message
Kris,

Wow, what a wonderful gift. I hope that you enjoy all of the projects that you create from your Gramma' genorosity. Any thoughts of what you are going to make first?
Cheers
Jennifer

Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  4:24:34 PM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
Aren't grandmas the best?! How about making something for her?

Go to Top of Page

platys
Seriously Hooked

USA
719 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  8:02:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit platys's Homepage Send platys a Private Message
That was a totally awesome present. My great grandmother (who died this year, at 100) crocheted great afghans. She taught me to crochet when I was about 10, and while I didn't keep it up, it was really helpful when it came time to learn to knit. I don't know what happened to her crochet supplies.

I had knitted up a Colinette love to knit afghan, and sent it to my grandmother for Christmas, sort of in memory of my great grandmother. My grandmother is a very reserved woman. I just got her thank you note:

quote:
Thank you for the lovely afghan. You do beautiful work.

Made me a little misty eyed. :) My mom said that my grandma sat all evening with it wrapped around her lap and legs.

Go to Top of Page

Beckyh
Gabber Extraordinaire

471 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2003 :  05:59:16 AM  Show Profile Send Beckyh a Private Message
I am green with envy, you lucky thing. Enjoy yourself. Maybe you can do the same for someone special in your later years.
Go to Top of Page

katxena
Chatty Knitter

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2003 :  07:58:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit katxena's Homepage Send katxena a Private Message
I'm too overwhelmed to figure out what to do with these gifts right now, so I'm working on what I had previously decided would be my first post-Christmas project -- a pair of wool socks for myself, knit from some DK weight yarn my Gramma gave me about 3 months ago that I dyed with kool aid.

I'm thinking my first project from her stash will be a cable cardigan, knit flat in pieces, from a really cool heathered forest green wool. I have 26 ounces (DK weight) of it, so there should be enough -- I just have to find a pattern!

Thanks for sharing my happiness with this gift!

Kris
http://www.papaya-palace.com
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2003 :  08:34:32 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
The best part of the gift isn't the needles or the yarn, it's that you and your grandmother share a deep bond enhanced by the fact that you both knit! You are at the beginning of your knitting, she at the end, so the thread will continue on through another generation. It'll be up to you to pass it to your granddaughter, so hang on to those needles!

I wish I had loved knitting the way I do when my grandmother was alive. But I know that she knows I'm knitting now. I feel like I'm "channeling" her at times. When my mom opened her Christmas gift and saw that everyone got the same thing from me, she said she could see me the same way she used to see her mom sitting on the couch in front of the tv knitting away. What amazed me the most was the catch in her voice when she said it. I've not heard that kind of emotion in Mom's voice ever...even when Grammy died, even when my Dad died! (We call my mom the "leather jellyfish". That should give you some idea of her personality!) So, carry on, Kris! What a wonderful gift you've received!!

hugs,
chris

I used to be normal, then I adopted a greyhound!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe