Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Software
 Sweater Wizard question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Knitmama
Seriously Hooked

USA
682 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2005 :  4:20:14 PM  Show Profile Send Knitmama a Private Message
I would really like to make a baby sweater using farrow rib (multiple of 3, k2, p1 across every row). Would S.W. work to do a pattern for that?

Rachel
[IMG]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/IMG]

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2005 :  4:29:10 PM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
Yes, after you figure out all of your other elements, and it generates the pattern for you, you can go to the Options menu, and select Pattern Placement - Repeating Pattern. Just enter the stitch multiples in and the pattern will be conducive to the stitch you have chosen. It won't write out the stitch pattern for you, but it will work with it.

Nature is a haunted house--but Art--is a house that tries to be haunted.
Emily Dickinson
Go to Top of Page

Knitmama
Seriously Hooked

USA
682 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  09:57:32 AM  Show Profile Send Knitmama a Private Message
Thanks. I wish their demo software would work so that you could actually try one pattern. I'd just love to see something work and fit and be possible for me to use at my particular skill level before investing in it. If it's something that worked, I know I'd use it all the time, but I'm worried about buying it and then finding it not to work well for me. Thinking, thinking...

Rachel
[IMG]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  10:11:12 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
Rachel, I think the software is definitely useful, but keep in mind that what it provides you with are good schematics, and a very bare bones set of instructions. You'll definitely need to use it in conjunction with a lot of swatching, the use of a good stitch pattern book, and maybe even a little "fleshing out" of the pattern on your own. Theoretically, I think some of their other software programs will fill in some of these gaps, but it does provide you with the basic math and shaping, which is where my brain is lacking. Also, the tech support is very good. There is a yahoo group you can sign up for where you can ask questions, and the software designer answers them quickly, does "tweaks" of the program as needed, and notifies of these free updates.

Nature is a haunted house--but Art--is a house that tries to be haunted.
Emily Dickinson
Go to Top of Page

Two Sticks and a String
Permanent Resident

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  04:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Two Sticks and a String's Homepage Send Two Sticks and a String a Private Message
Rachel,
Try www.knittingfool.com They have a sweater generator that you input your style, size, yarn guage, needle and WA LA - a pattern is generated complete with schematics. Give it a shot before you spend your money.

Dorene

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away." -Unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe