Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Koigu yarn
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gaggaandbj@yahoo.com

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  3:45:15 PM  Show Profile Send gaggaandbj@yahoo.com a Private Message
The pattern for a triangular scarf using Koigue merino yarn has dreadful & confusing directions. Even my knitting club & knitting teacher could not figure them out. Are there any pattern suggestions for a yarn using # 3 needle gauge: 28 stitches makes 4 inch

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4390 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  4:25:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
Why not knit a basic garter stitch triangle, where you start at the point and increase at the beginning of each row? I made a lovely scarf with one skein of Koigu and US 7 needles. A simple pattern really shows off the yarn.

Jane

"Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things." Denis Diderot

My album: Jane's Pages
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  4:47:57 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Which pattern are you talking about? Patch of Berries? A friend was just complaining about taht today. She said she tried several times and could never comeout witht hte rihgt number of stitches at the end of row 9. I bought the pattern and not wish I hadn't.

Anita
My completed projects
Go to Top of Page

cpknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  5:15:01 PM  Show Profile Send cpknits a Private Message
This yarn would probably look nice in the flower basket pattern scarf/shawl in Knitters or Interweave. There is a thread here somewhere. I did this pattern in brown sheep handpaints. There is also a Charlotte's web pattern for the Koigu. I've purchased the pattern but have not started it. The koigu looks lovely in a shawl. I think this is the pattern a LYS used for there display model and I did not hear any complaints about the pattern.
Go to Top of Page

sydo
Chatty Knitter

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  05:01:20 AM  Show Profile  Send sydo a Yahoo! Message Send sydo a Private Message
Are you talking about the triangular Koigu that has a center stitch and alternative seed pattern mentioned in every row? I hope so, as I had to put that one aside on the grounds that I was too new to knitting to get it right. I would love to think it was not me but the directions that were confused. Or at least very badly written and all scrunched together to save paper.

Sydo
Go to Top of Page

Oliversmom3
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  05:17:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Oliversmom3's Homepage  Send Oliversmom3 a Yahoo! Message Send Oliversmom3 a Private Message
Koigu has notoriously badly written patterns. There are many people having problems with Charlotte's Web. I have their Jazz patten. Again, poorly written. And they have such beautiful yarn. Sigh!

http://knittinggrandma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  06:14:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Anita, our friend is the one who posted! (Hi, Claudette!)

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

Karknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  06:34:46 AM  Show Profile Send Karknit a Private Message
I will have to tell my sister about this pattern, she wants to make Charlottes web, the pattern from Patternworks.
What is wrong with the pattern?
Could she figure it out?
Iam not even going to atempt it, I do socks thats enough.

karknit

My diet incentive, to knit smaller sweaters.
Go to Top of Page

carols
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  11:09:26 AM  Show Profile Send carols a Private Message
Try the Fiber Trends Landscape Shawl/Scarf pattern. Or go to the knitting vault (knittingvault.com) and there is a great koigu scarf pattern there.
http://www.theknittingvault.com/display.asp?ID=41
Carol S.
Go to Top of Page

calmmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

533 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  11:52:57 AM  Show Profile Send calmmom a Private Message
gagga and bj, do come back and tell us to which pattern you are referringYou have our curiosity. I just finished a kerchief with one skein on size 4's, and am very happy with the results. It was my own design. I had to start it 6 times[**]which was a record for me, but there is someting about this yarn that inspires me to create my own combinations of lace patterns. It's soo forgiving and bouncy! And I love watching the colors.
Anyway, how does one pronounce "Koigu"?
Go to Top of Page

Oliversmom3
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  04:58:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Oliversmom3's Homepage  Send Oliversmom3 a Yahoo! Message Send Oliversmom3 a Private Message
Karknit, Charlotte's Web is definitely doable. It's just that the pattern is poorly written. Only goes to row 50 or so. A lot of people find it confusing. However, there is a KAL on Yahoo Groups that has a lot of useful info. You can find the group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CharlottesWebknitalong/?yguid=223107085

You can see pictures of my recently finished Charlotte on my blog. She is beautiful!

http://knittinggrandma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KnitKnut
Permanent Resident

USA
1246 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  05:34:34 AM  Show Profile Send KnitKnut a Private Message
I was able to make Charlotte's Web without having a pattern problem (but it is confusing. I do a LOT of lace knitting, and had to put in some real time to figure it out accurately from the way the directions were written).) My problem was with the yarn gauge. Weirdly enough, even though I got the gauge on #7 needles, I barely had enough of the last skein to finish, and when I blocked the shawl it didn't come out to the specified finished dimensions - was about an inch short on all sides! It was very difficult to stretch, even though I frogged the bind-off row and redid it at about twice the looseness. I've never had this happen before with any pattern -- did anyone else have this experience?
BTW, I think the effort was worth it. I've never gotten so many compliments on anything else I've knitted.

Marie from NC
Go to Top of Page

temari
Gabber Extraordinaire

497 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  08:30:57 AM  Show Profile Send temari a Private Message
I also have found Koigu pattern confusing. Charlotte's Web was my first "real" lace project and frogged the first few (33?) rows many, many times. (I ending up purchasing some fingering wt yarn to practice because the Koigu was getting fuzzy) Eventually I wrote each step, until the repeat, on separate lines. I then had to figure out the repeats. Once I had the repeats on each row figured out, it was smooth sailing - more or less! I didn't have to refer to their chart. After the Koigu Charlotte's Web, I made one with zephyr and still had a problem with the beginning so thought that it was me. Also, I ran short of color 1 - maybe color 5.

Just purchased the Koigu Toreador Jacket pattern and it looks like that's going to be a thinking pattern also!

Calmmom - Koigu is pronounced - "coy goo". I wondered if "koi" was from the fish.

Go to Top of Page

crgilvr
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  10:54:22 AM  Show Profile Send crgilvr a Private Message
Koigu (previous pronunciation guide is correct)is actually an island off the coast of Estonia.

I suspect that the owners of Koigu, being Estonian and lifelong knitters, don't realize that their directions are confusing because they probably work intuitively and don't necessarily think in English as a first language.
Go to Top of Page

Karknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  10:58:34 AM  Show Profile Send Karknit a Private Message
I really do admire all of you and our determination to tackle such a beautiful project. Oliversmom I loved your pic of CW and I loved the footies too.
I dont know if my sister can do this shawl but I will print out your davice for her. Me Iam doing socks and working up to my first sweater.
Thank you all for your imput.

karknit

My diet incentive, to knit smaller sweaters.
Go to Top of Page

calmmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

533 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  06:42:36 AM  Show Profile Send calmmom a Private Message
Ew, THANKS! gals for confirming that I am pronouncing it correctly..and it is always sooo interesting to learn more about the yarn and the people producing it!
Go to Top of Page

knittin away
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  07:26:50 AM  Show Profile
To clarify - there are two shawls named Charlotte: Charlotte's Web shawl seems to be the more popular one, the pattern by Koigu using 5 skeins, and the Charlotte's Easy Lace shawl by Fiber Trends/Lily Chin.

Go to Top of Page

HoJo
Permanent Resident

USA
1474 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  07:37:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit HoJo's Homepage Send HoJo a Private Message
Once you figure out the Charlotte's Web pattern, it is very rythmic and interesting lace work. I modified mine to be a poncho and it is my favorite piece to wear. I used 7 skeins to make mine and the last color I used 2 skeins. I should have used 1 less color and 2 skeins on the 2nd to last color as well.

Picture and info about poncho here (first entry has info on poncho-izing and 2nd entry has the picture) - just scroll down a little:

http://www.fullthreadahead.com/blog/?p=11

HoJo

Our estore: www.fullthreadahead.com
Yarn for the mind, body, and soul

My blog: www.fullthreadahead.com/blog
Go to Top of Page

Buckeyeknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

364 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  09:18:59 AM  Show Profile Send Buckeyeknitter a Private Message
That Berries scarf is impossible. There is a page of corrections that makes no sense to me at all. I ended up using a leaf type pattern and three skeins of koigu to make a triangular shaped scarf/shawl that I really love

Pam
Go to Top of Page

brnwebgrrl
New Pal

33 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  1:04:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit brnwebgrrl's Homepage Send brnwebgrrl a Private Message
I've just recently finished my second Koigu lace shawl. The first was the famous Flower Basket shawl from Fall '04 IK.
For my second one I had seen all of the lovely pictures of the Charlotte's web shawl, but I also heard about the difficulties with the pattern, so I opted for the Kiri shawl. It's a free pattern for a leafy lace pattern triangle-shaped shawl. I have a picture of it on my blog, and here's a link to the free pattern, which uses Kidsilk Haze, but I think it looks fine in Kiogu.http://www.alltangledup.com/movabletype/my_images/my_patterns/kiri.pdf

Blessings,

Evelyn
my blog: http://www.nubianweb.com/brnwebgrrl

"The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but reveal to them their own." - Disraeli
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3989 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  06:34:16 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message
Very pretty, Evelyn and the Koigu was perfect

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by