Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Moths in Yarn?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chamachick
Warming Up

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  06:37:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit chamachick's Homepage Send chamachick a Private Message
hey folks,

I was just given for free some baby alpaca from spun from a local woman's animals. beautiful yarn......but it has moths in it. any advice on how to get rid of moths and their eggs?

thanks,

margot

KimberBaldwin
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  07:38:57 AM  Show Profile Send KimberBaldwin a Private Message
Could you tell me a little more about the yarn? Is it in skeins or balls? You want to get it into skeins if it is not there already - you can use a kniddy-knoddy or wind it off around a chair back. Doing this will also allow you to see how damaged the yarn is. If there are a lot of small lengths of yarn, it may not be worth salvaging. Also, do not bring the yarn into your house if you have wool, alpaca yarn/sweaters already since it is easy to introduce an infestation!

Anyhow, once the yarn is in skeins, submerge them in lukewarn water. SLOWLY bring the water to a simmer and simmer 5 minutes. This will kill any insects/eggs in the fiber. Be careful not to agitate the water too much, especially with wool (which I know this isn't) or you can get some felting. After it has simmered for 5 minutes remove it from the burner and let it cool down to room temperature. Gently squeeze out as much water as possible and hang the skeins to dry, either in a shower or outside (since they will drip). Best of luck!

Kimber
www.KimberBaldwinDesigns.com
Go to Top of Page

blazfglori
Permanent Resident

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  07:55:12 AM  Show Profile Send blazfglori a Private Message
...and to keep them away, you could try keeping some cedar blocks around.
Moths hate cedar smell. ;)

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

ChristinaP
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  09:09:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit ChristinaP's Homepage Send ChristinaP a Private Message
Does anyone know if you could just microwave the skeins to kill the eggs? Microwaves kill lots of other things...

In Maryland
Blog: http://christinasknitting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knitswithcolors
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  09:29:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitswithcolors's Homepage Send knitswithcolors a Private Message
I've read somewhere that freezing helps. Personally, I would toss it. Too much wool, skeined and knit, to risk infestation.
Go to Top of Page

argoknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  6:59:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit argoknit's Homepage Send argoknit a Private Message
Freezing does work, but it takes a long time compared to heat. And cedar, lavendar, etc. only have very limited effectiveness unless you keep them in very tight containers. I thought we had wool moths in the house but they were meal moths instead. Similar, but not the same, thank goodness. I have a ton of wool in the house.

I'm with knitswithcolors - I'd probably get rid of the yarn as to not risk infestation. It's the larvae that do the harm, not the moths.

argoknit

http://photos.isaacsondesign.net/

[image]http://www.isaacsondesign.net/forum/fizgig.gif[/image]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by