Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Death Grip for Needles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oscarcatt
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2003 :  4:07:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit oscarcatt's Homepage Send oscarcatt a Private Message
I have been knitting a lot on bamboo needles, simply because the store I buy yarn at only sells them, and I have been too lazy to seek more needles. I've noticed that just about every bamboo needle I have is no longer straight. I've managed to bend all of them. Am I weird?

- Jennifer

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2003 :  9:47:41 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Oscarcatt: Heavens no you aren't weird! These needles BEND. Boy do they ever. Some brands of bamboo bend more than others and if you don't want that see if you can get some Bryspun or metal--metal doesn't bend. Take care. Beverley

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live!"

Bev
Go to Top of Page

oscarcatt
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2003 :  11:04:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit oscarcatt's Homepage Send oscarcatt a Private Message
Are you sure it doesn't? My aluminum needles end up bent too.

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2003 :  11:11:38 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Jennifer: If you also bend metal needles I am surprised you don't break bamboo. Don't know what to tell you. You must have a death grip on them. I should like to know, though, how do your hands and arms feel after knitting? They must be sore. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

oscarcatt
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2003 :  12:30:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit oscarcatt's Homepage Send oscarcatt a Private Message
quote:

If you also bend metal needles I am surprised you don't break bamboo.

From what I've heard, bamboo is quite deceiving, being stronger than it looks. Heck, I'm even knitting on 2's right now! My mom was complaining that her needle was bent too, and she only has aluminum ones. I didn't know if it was a family trait or what... I was hoping everyone bent their needles.

How do my arms and hands feel? Well, I have played the piano most of my life, and although I made a big blunder by not going to school to study to become a concert pianist like my last instructor wanted me to, I still bear the hands of a pianist.

I don't know what would happen with wood needles, but I fear that I might just break those. Bamboo seems to have a magical bendable quality.

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2003 :  06:52:17 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I knit with very relaxed hands and since I have a muscle disease, I cannot grip them tightly but still, over time, my needles will bend. I found the perfect solution for this--switch to circular needles. They come already bent. To me, a bent needle is a needle well used and well loved and probably a favorite. The only thing to be concerned about it is if it bothers you when you are knitting with it, otherwise, don't worry about it.

fran

Go to Top of Page

jmweis
Chatty Knitter

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2003 :  07:13:29 AM  Show Profile Send jmweis a Private Message
Hello,
I have had a problem with my bamboo needles bending as well. But only the longer single pointed needles I have gotten from Clover. And I have noticed that they become more bent, even when I haven't used them. So, I don't know if they are senstive to humidity changes or what. I have also noticed some of my longer metal needles becoming bent, but I have to admit that I think this is because they get stepped on, or sat upon (luckily, as they lay flat and not point up). I haven't had any problems with my Crystal Palace bamboo needles bending, but I don't know if that is because they are shorter or because it is a different brand. I also don't think that I hold my needles with a "death-grip" as I try to hold the loosely so my hands don't ache.

Jennifer

Go to Top of Page

mbmoody
Gabber Extraordinaire

583 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2003 :  5:15:58 PM  Show Profile Send mbmoody a Private Message
I've bent a size 1 addi-turbo making socks, so thin metal will bend. Otherwise, I've had straight needles of all materials bend from the weight of the fabric collecting at the non-pointy end.
Go to Top of Page

Bumblebee
Warming Up

Australia
62 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  04:13:17 AM  Show Profile Send Bumblebee a Private Message
Um, I've managed to make my metal needles bend !
I'm not sure if it's death grip, but I think that my technique isn't as good as I want it to be. I figure that once I learn to coordinate my hands a bit better I won't have so much of a problem.
But like Fran says - if it doesn't bother you, who cares! It's just obvious to others that you put a lot of gusto into your knitting!
Bec

Go to Top of Page

janeknits
Warming Up

98 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  08:42:24 AM  Show Profile Send janeknits a Private Message
I bend the tiny bamboo circulars that I use to knit socks. But, like fmarrs, I just figure that's the mark of a much-used tool.

Go to Top of Page

autumnthought
New Pal

12 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  12:22:59 PM  Show Profile Send autumnthought a Private Message
I won't use small bamboo double-points for this reason... I don't bend them, I *snap* them. The funny thing is that I'm a very loose and fast knitter, I think I hold my needles tighly and my yarn loosely, if that makes any sense. I've also broken several lovely old celluloid needles from the 30s, but in one instance that was by *sitting* on them, LOL!

~autumnthought~
Go to Top of Page

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  12:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
Bamboo as well as other wooden needles are indeed affected by humidity. If you want to straighten them out, I have read that you can pop them in the microwave to reduce the humidity or hold them over a steaming bowl of water/humidifier/radiator to increase the humidity. I haven't tried these methods out. I just stick with my bent needles.

http://marneysworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
1953 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  4:03:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Wooden needles are a fav of mine - they feel good, I am more relaxed w/them & I like the way my knitting looks.
Jennifer, I would have to agree w/the post from Fran & the ones who agreed w/her - how well loved can needles be??!!
Bev's point/? re the way your hands & arms feel is on target too.
For sweaters & heavier projects, I like circs - they definitely allow my shoulders to be more relxaed than when I am using a large size (15 & up) for a heavier yarn.

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  5:28:22 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Marfa: You are so right about circulars distributing the weight. I use knit a lot of very large afghans and when you have something where you cast on 200 plus stitches even 100 or more you need the extra length in order to keep from losing the stitches and distritubing the weight evenly. After a while an afghan that ends up being 80 or 90 inches long begins to take its toll. Also, with circulars you don't loose one in the couch. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.