Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Regia Jacquard
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Forum Admin

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2001 :  11:03:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage Send Admin a Private Message
Add your feedback here!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2001 :  2:21:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Not feedback, but a question. Does Regia felt? how badly? how soon? not at all? Do all wool socks felt some?

hmmm
not a question. a bunch of questions.

Go to Top of Page

Knitting Fever
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
548 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2001 :  3:34:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitting Fever's Homepage Send Knitting Fever a Private Message
Bess,

Regia does NOT felt. I have 2 pair of socks made from Regia, and it does not seem to have the slightest inclination to felt. I have been treating them just like any other pair of socks. Machine washing AND drying, and they are holding up nicely. It is so much fun to work with, and does not split easily. It knits up well, making even a beginner like me look pretty good at this "knitting thing."

Carolyn

P.S. It does not seem to pill either, which is a big plus in my book!

Edited by - Knitting Fever on 12/30/2001 15:36:30
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2001 :  7:56:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage Send Admin a Private Message
Carolyn is totally right. Since the review, I've been a bit more loose about tossing my Regia socks in the washing machine. They are wearing better than my store-bought socks, both in terms of colorfastness and surface strength. It's amazing!

And it's also true that this yarn will make your socks look one heck of a lot more complicated than they actually were. I always feel like I'm in a Regia infomercial when I wear my socks in public. "You knitted those?!" people ask in disbelief. "Yes," I reply, "And you could too, because it took only one strand!"

Enter Vanna White to demonstrate...

Clara
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2001 :  05:49:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Good enough. I am on a sock quest -- the ultimate experience for both the knitter (myself) and the walker (PreciousAngelBabyDarlingOnlySon.) There are several severe demands upon this ultimate experience and it will be interesting and fun to see if and when I reach that hole-less grail. I shall be sure to share it with everyone.

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2002 :  1:38:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage Send Admin a Private Message
Sounds like an ideal application for Regia! You have the courage and fortitude for this quest. Go forth and knit!

Clara
Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2002 :  4:04:36 PM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
I have an addiction to Regia (actually any sock yarn) like a child addicted to candy. The LYS must know this because they have a large antique cabinet bursting at the sides with the most elaborate display of all these yummy colors smack dab in front of the check out counter! I always tell myself "I do NOT need more sock yarn!" everytime I head out the door to the knitting store; yet I find myself storing my TWO NEW FLAVORS with the others when I return home! The logical part of my brain KNOWS this is NOT a necessary purchase, yet the whimsical side of my brain ALWAYS wins! "!?!What if they discontinued this wonderful color BEFORE I knit up the others???" Thank goodness for my little brown leather checkbook that the yarn is relatively cheap !

On another note! I finished the socks out of the Lion Wool-Ease and I'll probably NEVER make another pair from that yarn. I don't like the bulkiness of the yarn, they'll only be good for house socks. I made them for my sister, and BOY did they knit up fast.....but....still, I would rather take my time and make a nicer pair of socks. I guess it's in my nature to give anything a try at least once .

I did love using the new short (5") Bryspun dps with the scooped out tip. The down side of this is....I went to the lys today and the smallest size they come in is a US 2 so I'm knitting up a pair of socks with Lorna's Laces sport weight yarn on the size 2. Guess I'll continue to use my bamboos on the fingering and sock weight yarns!

I did see a needle I've never noticed before though, it was a Brittany, wood, 5" dpn and they came in sets of 5 AND came in the smaller sizes. Has anyone used these before? They had the cutest little tapestry needle holder full of the needles in all sizes but it cost $84.00, but they also sold them in individual sizes. So, if anyone out there has used the bamboo and the Brittany wood needles, could you tell me what you thought of the Brittany? How do they compare to the bamboo? Thank you!

Edited by - Smock7 on 01/02/2002 16:06:54

Edited by - Smock7 on 01/02/2002 16:11:39

Edited by - Smock7 on 01/02/2002 16:14:07

Edited by - Smock7 on 01/02/2002 16:15:47
Go to Top of Page

cast-on
Warming Up

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2002 :  4:27:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit cast-on's Homepage Send cast-on a Private Message
I find that the Brittany wood are a harder wood and by comparison, I had a #3 bamboo splinter at the end. The large bamboo are comfortable to knit with but not as slick as Brittany and the tips are not as strong. I would not purchase any more bamboo needles.

Go to Top of Page

KathyDoughty
New Pal

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2002 :  1:01:59 PM  Show Profile Send KathyDoughty a Private Message
The lady at the last knit shop I visited (the Recycled Lamb in CO: great little shop with knitting, spinning, and weaving goodies) told me that her experience with the size 1 Britneys is that they tended to break very easily (I guess birch is a very hard wood, but when it gets that small there tend to be "fracture lines" that go all the way through the needle, and they snap). Just passing on what I heard...I have been using the ebony and rosewood needles through many socks and have yet to have one snap on me despite a lot of abuse. Probably saved money in the long run!

Kathy in Santa Barbara

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2002 :  3:13:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Boy Smock7, I want to visit your LYS - it sounds delicious! Especially that tapestry needle holder thing. I haven't seen that.

As for the shorter Brittany DPNs, I'm totally in love with them. However, Kathy's yarn shop owner was right about the breakage in smaller sizes. I was furiously toiling away on a sock during a long flight and one of my size 2s suddenly snapped.

However, I've decided not to let this stop me from using the Brittany DPNs. I just a) try to remember the angst of that snapped needle and try to lighten up on my grip and b) don't use anything smaller than 3s.
For the teeny tiny needles, believe it or not I like using the good old-fashioned aluminum ones. I think they're Boye or Susan Bates or someone like that, but they're slightly shorter than the standard ones, and you can grip the **** out of them without fear of breakage.

I have a few pairs of 4" ebony DPNs that I thought I'd like... I really wanted to like them... but I found the wood so strong and unyielding that the ends of the needles poked into my hands and made them sore over time. This is just an issue with the short ones, since longer ones won't poke into your hands.

I do have a pair of teensy weensy DPNs -- size 1, they must be -- that I've had for years and years, cherish, and only bring out on special occasions. These are Crystal Palace bamboo. No splinters yet.

My two cents!

Clara
Go to Top of Page

PatC
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2002 :  1:33:33 PM  Show Profile Send PatC a Private Message
quote:

I have an addiction to Regia (actually any sock yarn) like a child addicted to candy. The LYS must know this because they have a large antique cabinet bursting at the sides with the most elaborate display of all these yummy colors smack dab in front of the check out counter! I always tell myself "I do NOT need more sock yarn!" everytime I head out the door to the knitting store; yet I find myself storing my TWO NEW FLAVORS with the others when I return home! The logical part of my brain KNOWS this is NOT a necessary purchase, yet the whimsical side of my brain ALWAYS wins! "!?!What if they discontinued this wonderful color BEFORE I knit up the others???" Thank goodness for my little brown leather checkbook that the yarn is relatively cheap !

On another note! I finished the socks out of the Lion Wool-Ease and I'll probably NEVER make another pair from that yarn. I don't like the bulkiness of the yarn, they'll only be good for house socks. I made them for my sister, and BOY did they knit up fast.....but....still, I would rather take my time and make a nicer pair of socks. I guess it's in my nature to give anything a try at least once .

I did love using the new short (5") Bryspun dps with the scooped out tip. The down side of this is....I went to the lys today and the smallest size they come in is a US 2 so I'm knitting up a pair of socks with Lorna's Laces sport weight yarn on the size 2. Guess I'll continue to use my bamboos on the fingering and sock weight yarns!

I did see a needle I've never noticed before though, it was a Brittany, wood, 5" dpn and they came in sets of 5 AND came in the smaller sizes. Has anyone used these before? They had the cutest little tapestry needle holder full of the needles in all sizes but it cost $84.00, but they also sold them in individual sizes. So, if anyone out there has used the bamboo and the Brittany wood needles, could you tell me what you thought of the Brittany? How do they compare to the bamboo? Thank you!

Edited by - Smock7 on 01/02/2002 16:06:54

Edited by - Smock7 on 01/02/2002 16:11:39

Edited by - Smock7 on 01/02/2002 16:14:07

Edited by - Smock7 on 01/02/2002 16:15:47

Pat Chen
Go to Top of Page

loonpond@gwi.net
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2003 :  3:43:50 PM  Show Profile Send loonpond@gwi.net a Private Message
I've knit five pairs of Regia socks for myself, and four pairs for other friends. I've heard from my friends that theirs are still going strong after 2 years, and my own socks are just getting softer with NO signs of wear. I've tried the Opal also, and they're all right, but I find the Regia stays softer and holds color long. I hope Regia stays around forever! I have the most colorful feet at work!

MM
Go to Top of Page

Luvtoknit
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2003 :  4:54:21 PM  Show Profile Send Luvtoknit a Private Message
Hi loonpond,
You sound like the sock Master- 9 pairs I am impressed.
Do you have a favorite pattern you use for Regia sock yarn?
I have taken a sock class & I learned how to do the "Dutch Heel"
but the gal at my LYS said I might want to use a different heel so the pattern of the yarn is not interupted by the heel flap?
Too many choices, I am still trying to finish my first pair of socks from my class with worsted weight-I keep ripping out & doing parts over. I wanted to get it right it over before I start the Regia ones.
Also do you use a smaller needle for the rib, she suggested 0's for the rib & 2's for the body?
Thanks,
Fran
I love to hear about everybody's projects,it is so inspiring to me-thank you everybody!!!
Go to Top of Page

Phaedra28
Gabber Extraordinaire

485 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2003 :  8:26:05 PM  Show Profile Send Phaedra28 a Private Message
I guess I'm not nice enough to my Regia socks: I've got pretty substantial felting at the heel! Then again, mine are holding up well, despite a lot of wear, and quite cavalier treatment! I throw them into the washer with the rest of the wash. I throw them in the dryer with the rest of the wash. They get the same treatment as my jeans do.

And then they get stuffed into my boots and worn through the day at the barn, walking around, giving lessons, riding, all of it. My feet tell me that they're badly used, yet my Regia socks just get a little felted at the heel.

Of all the sock yarns I've knit with, I like Regia best -- even better than Lorna's Laces! Lorna's was very nice, felt great to work with, came in totally delicious colors, and I'd use it again -- but not for my working socks!

For the person who wondered about heels that didn't interupt the pattern: short rows, worked in a solid color, will fix that. Wrap the turns, which will give you TWO wraps by the time you're picking up the stitches again (think about it: one wrap going shorter, one wrap going longer again...) Just short row down from about half the stitches, to a little less than a quarter of the stitches, then build back up. You'll get a nice little block of contrasting color, and then you can match the toe, as well.

And someone asked about patterns for socks: my favorite, bar none, all time, every pair I've made starting this way has fit great, perfect pattern is from that old Coats and Clarks Learn How Book: Learn how to knit, crochet, tat, embroider, etc. I have my grandmother's copy, and the same book is published today for a couple of bucks. The Learn How book should be enough to tell your LYS which one you mean. I can't promise it's C&C, but can promise that Learn How should get the right one.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.81 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe