Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning with Spindles
 So what projects have you
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  03:31:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
, that is/was knitted with yarn from your spindle? Iíve a few skeins laying around but most of my spindle yarn has gone into the sweater Iím knitting. It seems like a huge project but the idea of a bulky sweater of blended white/gray yarn all done on the spindle is just too cool.

People who donít knit are fairly impressed with the 4 sweaters Iíve knitted in the last year and a half, itís no big deal I just like big projects. Itís like reading a great book that you donít want to end except with knitting you have a wonderful reward for all the fun you had doing it.

Iím about 12 to 14 inches past the sleeve divides. I will have to pick up for the collar and knit the sleeves once the body is the correct length. This is an extra large size and will weigh a few pounds when Iím done.

If people think Iím crazy spending the time to knit a sweater when I could just buy one at Wally World theyíll be looking around for a straight jacket when I explain how I acquired the yarn for this one. A thousand dollar sweater would mean less to me than this one.

Mike

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  05:32:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
Spindle spinning is too slow for me; I usually only do it if I'm in a situation where a big wheel isn't practical, or for demonstration purposes. That being said, the only thing I've had enough yarn for is one skinny ol' scarf .

--Susan T-O in Long Beach CA

"Implying that Fran can't knit is kind of like implying that the Pope can't pray."--RachelKnitter
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  06:54:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
It is very slow but as in the fable of the tortoise and the hare at the end of the day the spindle has been spun where I may not have had time to sit at the wheel.

I have a very stiff leather tool bag I made for the bike that turned out to be just perfect for the spindle and a bag full of rolags. I carry it to work with me and places I think I may have waiting time. About every week or so I have to unload it, still about every month I have another 6oz skein to add to the project.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5190 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  08:04:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message
I'm still holding on to all of my handspun. I like the idea of viewing it as a timeline at this point. A friend has asked for a hat made out of some yarn I spun when another friend died, and that will be the first of my own yarn I knit up.

http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

pugsweater
Gabber Extraordinaire

452 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  09:10:26 AM  Show Profile Send pugsweater a Private Message
i recently made a pair of mittens from <100 yards 3-ply BFL....i have one batch of heavy worsted BFL and dk merino tencel that i dunno what to do with. they had been ready for about a week. still thinking....

Pugknits Blog
Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  2:39:45 PM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
I don't find spindling slow at all, its almost as fast as on my wheel, and portable makes up the time difference IMHO. My first spinning was a Lincoln multicolor-dye carded together, I made one and 1/2 pounds of it and am using it as both part of my warp and weft in a plaid skirt for my daughter. Some of the strips of warp are commercial yarn or other colors I spun. I don't see much difference between my spinning on the wheel thread type or my spindling thread. Its all similar. I've been told I was very daring to use my first spinning for warp! Yes I have had to watch carefully as it passed through the heddles so that it doesn't catch on the poorly spun spots. But it is very nice and has worked well. I have already taken off half of the fabric and fulled it and it is lovely.
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  2:47:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
My first project from spindle spun yarn is going to be :D

a pair of blue faced leicester socks which I intend to enter in the Montpelier Festival come October.

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  3:07:36 PM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
Oh, I forgot, my first completed spindle-spun project was the knee highs for my daughter. Two pairs, first was the Lincoln mentioned mixed with stripes of gray pencil roving, the other pair was a Wensleydale painted roving pair of knee highs. I also did another pair of light and dark striped socks for my XDH from the pencil roving. Don't know what it was originally from, I suspect Romney. These socks have been so much fun. But I HAVE to redo the heels on both of the Lincoln socks, they have absurd little noses on them! (My first sock attempts also!)
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2005 :  08:46:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
Andy,
It sounds pretty courageous to me. I am just now spinning a yarn that may be hard enough for warp. I must be pretty slow with the spindle, no way can it be compared to the speed of my wheel, it does make up for the speed by being so portable, still I spend more time knitting than spinning.

I would like to see the plaid if you can post it.

One of these days I really should try knitting socks. I bet they turn out fantastic.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

midnightskyfibers
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2005 :  11:55:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit midnightskyfibers's Homepage Send midnightskyfibers a Private Message
mike- handspun socks are so much fun! They are my favorite thing to make from handspun yarn (mostly wheel spun though). Ive also made scarves, hats, gloves, mittens, bags (felted and not), slippers, etc from my handspun. OO and a teddy bear.

http://www.midnightskyfibers.com handspun and handpainted yarns, fibers, and kits.
Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  10:36:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
I made a nice scarf with my spindle spun yarn. It looks like I purposely spun thick and thin yarn....
I like it, though, and plan to do more. I got impatient, wanting to spin more faster, and I have the use of someone else's wheel right now, so I was concentrating on that. With summer here, though, I plan to take my spindle with me on our boat! I should make some good progress there.

Linda, knitting and now spinning away in MD
Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  3:59:52 PM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
Mike, sorry I just saw this post again. My daughter says she will photo the plaid so you can see it. Remind me, I'll try to do it soon. You really don't need super tightly spun yarn, it evens out over the width of the whole warp (if you tie it up with even tension and keep it taut, say with individual weights off the back if some threads get softer). I have only had to beat it with a stick instead of the reed to keep the fibers from getting frayed. Other than that I keep the edges square by reed-beating every once in awhile. My yarn was not really twisty. It was 4-5" fiber and coarse, you know Lincoln. But it works because I keep my eye on the heddles and free up snags between the threads when they are lifted past each other. You can tell if it is catching, jacks aren't smooth. Also I rolled the warp onto construction paper to keep it separated on the back. I did warp front to back too. I used a raddle but it wasn't really necessary, I couldn't see it making any difference and wouldn't bother next time when going front to back with dressing order. My beams were totally full and I have only cut the warp off at the front after most of it was done. There are about 6 yards left maybe after cutting at the front. All I had to do was retie and that gave me a chance to snug them up evenly again. I'm sure you'll like weaving your own yarn. The bits of commercially spun warp probably helped somewhat too. It looks good together, not inharmonious. But I like some unusual color combinations and texture combinations too. You will see what I mean! Soon to post pix, I promise!
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  3:21:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
I made a wrist distaff with my first hand-spun yarn. With the rest, I have made a couple of hats, a spun-knit-felted-brushed mat to display stuff on (I don't know what the heck to call it, but I like looking at and touching it). I've also spun, dyed and given away some handspun to deserving knitting relatives.

-Wendy
Did you know God was a knitter?
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." Psalm 139:13

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/StripyFixationribbedsocks.jpg[/IMG]
Oh, no, I'm blogging now! Click to see it!
Go to Top of Page

llamafiber4
Chatty Knitter

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2005 :  10:36:01 PM  Show Profile Send llamafiber4 a Private Message
With my very first homespun yarn I also dyed it an awful shade of red which was really pink in the end. I used koo[-aid to dye with. then I made a cardigan. I had no idea what I was doing knitting or dyeing yarn but we all learn from our mistakes. Yes I still have the sweater just to remind myself how much I've learned over the years. LOL. Right now I have some beautiful Merino on my wheel it's going to be my granddaughters first cardigan. It will be 100 times better than my frist cardigan.[:00]

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

danspun
Chatty Knitter

101 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  7:04:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit danspun's Homepage Send danspun a Private Message
My very first drop spindle yarn (or rope, depending on who's looking at it ) was used to make a winter hat (no pictures yet). It was spun from Icelandic, so it's a bit crunchy, but extremely warm for these Minnesota winters.

After my Ashfrod Traditional arrived I pretty much stopped the drop spindle and have been cranking out yarn left and right. In the fall I was spinning mostly handpainted merino (and ended up selling a bunch - kind of a bittersweet experience) In February I spun enough alpaca to make my wife a sweater http://sattler-reimer.com/spinknit/knit_project_files/sweater_alp.html, although the yarn was pretty thick, and I think the sweater weighs around 2 pounds - again, perfect for the cold weather we get, but perhaps not the best way to spin that fiber... I've since spun some alpace quite a bit finer, and have plans for another 2 pounds I have sitting in the stash.

Scarves, hats, mittens - some knit by me, most knit by my wife. I prefer spinning to knitting, and didn't really start knitting seriously until recently (the sweater kind of kicked me into gear).

Right now on the spool is a large amount of Jacob (top). .. see my blog for pictures.

http://www.sattler-reimer.com/spinknit/bBlog
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  06:08:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
Wow, that looks great. I think just about anything would look good done up in that yarn. I'm thinking a vest or maybe a lace shawl.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

danspun
Chatty Knitter

101 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  07:06:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit danspun's Homepage Send danspun a Private Message
The only problem with this yarn is that it is a little crunchy, so making it into something next to skin would probably not be the best use for it. I have about 840 yards of it and another 150 or so yet to be spun. So, there should be enough to make something larger - perhaps a poncho?

http://www.sattler-reimer.com/spinknit/bBlog
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  09:52:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
Danspun,
You might want to try this - knit a swatch of the Jacob, and then attack it with a brass brush. This can soften up even the crunchiest yarns - and it gives a really lovely texture.

-Wendy
Did you know God was a knitter?
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." Psalm 139:13

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/StripyFixationribbedsocks.jpg[/IMG]
Oh, no, I'm blogging now! Click to see it!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe