Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Gadgets
 Embellish-Knit
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jegfrog
New Pal

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  04:05:39 AM  Show Profile Send jegfrog a Private Message
Is it just me, or is anyone else having trouble with an Embellish-Knit? (It's the hand-cranked gizmo which makes cords, like I-Cord.) I'm usually pretty good with reading & following directions & getting other gizmos to work, but this one has me stumped & frustrated. I have only used the yarn which came in the package in my attempts, so I know it isn't because I'm using worsted weight or other "too-heavy" yarn. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks,

Jane

DG
Warming Up

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  08:14:22 AM  Show Profile Send DG a Private Message
which one do you have?:

Bond America's
http://www.bond-america.com/products/embellish-knit.html

or
Clover's
http://www.clover-usa.com/products/crafting/index.html

http://www.kutieknits.typepad.com
Kutie the one eyed cat, he likes yarn, and I knit.
Go to Top of Page

gibsongirl
Seriously Hooked

965 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  10:57:47 AM  Show Profile Send gibsongirl a Private Message
Jane has the Bond Embellish-Knit. The Clover Wonder Knitter doesn't have a hand crank (I own one of these) and has fewer hooks and moving parts to clog with yarn. Apparently others have had trouble with the Embellish-Knit, and the solution was to use very thin yarn. I think they display it with fingering or sportweight yarn in the advertisements (or even embroidery floss and wire). List of acceptable yarns from one website:

Crochet cotton
Embroidery floss
Needlework yarns
Baby-weight yarns
Sport-weight yarns
Lightweight fancy yarns including eyelash yarns
Lightweight tape or ribbon yarns

You can whip out a nice knitted cord easily, but it won't do thicker i-cord, which is why I decided to get the Clover Wonder Knitter instead.

-gibsongirl
Go to Top of Page

jegfrog
New Pal

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  04:31:20 AM  Show Profile Send jegfrog a Private Message
Thanks for the help, ladies - will look for the Clover device & try to find a good home for the Bond - maybe my young nieces can get it to work!

Jane
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  6:48:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
I have the Bond MagiChord machine. It works with a hand crank. I've never had any trouble with it, and I've done mostly lace weight and some sportweight wools. Maybe this is a newer model. I don't know.
Arctic-mermaid
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  11:54:09 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I looked at the picture of the Clover one, and it looks an awful lot like a spool knitter (corking?), doesn't it?

Barbara

Healthy conservatism promotes the continuity of civilization, the importance of community, the dangers of thoughtless change. It does not, or should not, assert the right of white, Christian heterosexual males of a certain age to limit the rights of everyone else. The past 100 years of social history has been dedicated, on good days, to constraining the dominance of this minority. Yesterday was a good day: J.Ibbotson, June 29/05, on the passing of the same-sex marriage bill.

Photos:
Blog:

Go to Top of Page

Suzann
Seriously Hooked

USA
869 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  04:29:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Suzann's Homepage Send Suzann a Private Message
Barbara the Clover is just like the old spool knitters.

The trick with the Magic Cord is to keep moving the weight up to the top of the cord. The weight keeps the tension on the yarn, which keeps it in the little hooks. Go slower and watch how you are feeding the yarn in.
And I have read about defective machines. The little latches didn't close correctly. You might want to allow someone to crank it slowly while you look and see if the latches do close.
On one of the boards there was a lot of emailing Bond to get them to produce a machine that would handle thicker yarn. Same thing with the old Barbie knitters. They produced a knitted tube. There is a Yahoo board dedicated to them. And they were trying to get bigger knitters made. So you could crank out hats and such. I don't think they had much luck but you never know. You can crank out a novelty yarn scarf in a half hour

Making cables is like making love. There is a lot of foreplay before you get to the deed
http://www15.brinkster.com/lyricalarmy/lace/lace.htm
Go to Top of Page

DG
Warming Up

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2005 :  3:46:07 PM  Show Profile Send DG a Private Message
Yes the clover is very much like spool knitters but the rotating disk on top makes it easier to do your i-cords (very quickly) and it comes with an interchangeable disk 3 or 6 stitches, it handles thick and thin yarn.

Kutie Knits-blog
Go to Top of Page

bogiebogie
Permanent Resident

USA
1076 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2005 :  6:06:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit bogiebogie's Homepage Send bogiebogie a Private Message
I just bought an Embellish-Knit! and found that the trickiest thing was getting it started because you catch the yarn on the 1st hook, skip the 2nd hook, catch with the 3rd hook, skip the 4th hook, then catch with the 1st hook again. After that, you can turn the crank and catch the yarn with every hook. Also keep the weight on the icord, move it up as needed, and let the cord untwist on its own.

Once you get it started, you can crank out icord in no time.
http://knitflix.blogspot.com/2005/07/brain-matter.html

--JK
http://knitflix.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sweetnsour
Chatty Knitter

USA
156 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  01:32:58 AM  Show Profile Send sweetnsour a Private Message
I like my Clover Wonder Knitter very much. With the rotating disk my hands don't seem to get as tired so easily, and it does make the work faster for me. I usually ending up making too much i-cord and have to undo some of it. Plus Clover accessories are cute, and I sort of collect them when I get the spare cash *blush* I don't use it constantly,though. Maybe when I get tempted to make more bags and pillows that need trim.

A hand crank model that can handle thick yarn would be wonderful...think of all the rugs and stuff you could make with the cord. My acrylic yarn would be gone in weeks.

Amy

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe