Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Boys Who Knit
 guitar strap
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rhys
Chatty Knitter

138 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  12:28:19 PM  Show Profile Send rhys a Private Message
I have 3 sons all of whom play the guitar (or mandolin [sp]). Anyway, I was thinking of knitting them straps preferable out of sock yarn. I really like the sock yarn and know I'll never knit socks. Anyway, can someone direct me to a strap pattern that would work for a guy? The only one is see is too fem.

witchyknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  12:35:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit witchyknits's Homepage Send witchyknits a Private Message
There is an episode on Knitty Gritty where she shows how to make a guitar strap. Here is the link http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_dkng/episode/0,2046,DIY_18180_32893,00.html

If that doesn't work, go into www.diynetwork.com and go to show - put in knitty gritty and then in the episode box, put in guitar strap. The episode is called knitting and purling. Hope that helps! Have fun!

~ Sharon the knittin' fool in PA
~ http://knittinfool.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

greengirl
Seriously Hooked

Taiwan
679 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  6:02:30 PM  Show Profile Send greengirl a Private Message
Is it the Knitty strap pattern Banshee that you find to fem? It's the only pattern I can recall seeing online.
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall03/PATTbanshee.html
(That's the same pattern that is featured in Knitty Gritty.) Of course, you could loose the eyelash yarn and choose sufficiently masculine colors to make this work for anyone...

"In all walks of life, each person has his or her mountain to climb, and set of circumstances to overcome."
--from Jennifer Avalon's essay: Human Frailty
Go to Top of Page

knit_in_band_class
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  7:34:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit knit_in_band_class's Homepage Send knit_in_band_class a Private Message
one thing you must remember is IT MUST BE STRONG! I made a strap once and a a half hour after I put it on it was breaking. anyways, making you own pattern for this is easy, <======> <<that's the scematics I used. and use the cast on/ cast of buttonhole method for the nobby things (wow, I've been around guitars all my life and I still call them nobby things)

it is not impossible to knit and play tuba at the same time, it's just really, really hard
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  7:35:18 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
You can use any design you wish. It is the sizing that is important and the width is variable. I would be tempted to line it with a wide ribbon rather than fabric. If you did a fair isle design on the front it might not even need a lining with the extra yarn on the back. Also, a felted strap would not need a lining but I don't know if sock yarn felts. Solid colors or varigated yarns would be nice. Also some of those self-patterning sock yarns would work. Just skip the frou frou.

fran
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  06:23:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
I've been playing guitar all my life and it has never crossed my mind to knit a guitar strap but then I work in leather too. I would recomend a very strong lineing material like a heavy canvas. I could make leather end pieces, pre-cut and hole stamped to sew onto the ends of the strap to help make the guitar a little safer if you think you would need them, I would need to know how wide the straps would be. I have made guitar straps on my inkle loom with the nasty cotton cones from Wal Mart.
This is a sash I made but it could be used as a guitar strap.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/28887719/66611554nDIASd

Mike
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  07:18:22 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
If you knit the strap, try the linen stitch. I used that once for a strap for a felted bag. It has little stretch, if any, and is flat. I don't have the instructions at hand, but if you search here or on google you can find it. I know about.com has a stitch library and a version of the linen stitch is in their library.

I really like the look of the inkle woven strap too.
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  05:24:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
I just finished a new guitar strap for my home made bass.
It's not knitted but it turned out pretty cool.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/419706914/419706914aUeQsL and the two next photos.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  2:29:02 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Those are beautiful, Mike. I wish I could do something besides knit, but I'm afraid I'll cut my fingers off, or something.

By the way, hows the shawl blocking going? Any completed project photos, yet?

Barbara
It's a feature, not a bug.

Photos:
Blog:

Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  04:02:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
Naw the shawl blocking has to be done covertly. I'm keeping my eyes open at work for a large piece of cardboard. Once I get that I will mount it to a 2X4 then I can block the shawl when my wife goes to her evening job and hang it in the shed to dry. At least that the plan.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

dedtired
Chatty Knitter

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  1:36:51 PM  Show Profile  Send dedtired a Yahoo! Message Send dedtired a Private Message
I had problems when I tried to knit a guitar strap because it had too much give. You might want to knit it smaller than they like, or maybe knit it with stiff yarn.
-Justin
(Back after a hiatus)
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  3:22:33 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Welcome back, Justin. Hope your hiatus was for positive reasons.

Barbara
It's a feature, not a bug.

Photos:
Blog:
Fran's Site:

Go to Top of Page

SurfinSandy
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
473 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  10:07:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit SurfinSandy's Homepage Send SurfinSandy a Private Message
I've been thinking of doing a guitar strap for my son (17) and for a guitar player-girl in our church. I don't think my son would like the furry Banshee, but I think the girl would. I have been considering getting the crochet nylon from Walmart (I think it's made by Coats and Clark, it comes in more colors than Walmart stocks. Check online for more colors) I've crocheted with this crochet nylon before, it's strong, and it doesn't stretch under stress like acrylic and natural fibers. However...check the yardage, the cones don't have a whole lot on them.
Since these are basically knitted rectangles, one could get creative designing their own. If you know how to make the holes to strap it to your guitar, you're set. I think trying the (what's it called again? they did it on Knitty Gritty; shadow knitting?) You could really personalize your straps. I like the idea of using linen stitch. Sounds even more durable and elegant.

Surfin'Sandy

No man has ever been shot while doing the dishes.
Go to Top of Page

dedtired
Chatty Knitter

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  09:53:08 AM  Show Profile  Send dedtired a Yahoo! Message Send dedtired a Private Message
Thanks Barbara
My hiatus was just because I had trouble keeping up with the forums while I tried to look for a job. I am working now, so all should be good. I will also try to get involved with the forums more often again, as I really had fun here.
-Justin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?