Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Shop owners and aspiring businesspeople
 Seeking Store Return Policy Information
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tamarella
New Pal

19 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2005 :  4:14:10 PM  Show Profile Send tamarella a Private Message
I am putting together my return policy for my LYS. How are returns handled at shops you own or frequent ? Do you give in store credit on returns ?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Tammy

umbaba
Seriously Hooked

USA
693 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2005 :  6:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit umbaba's Homepage Send umbaba a Private Message
Store Credit only, no returns on patterns,books or needles unless defective. Merchandise must be in new condition and returns must be made within 30 days of receipt.

...as soon as I finish this row

www.abundantyarn.com
Go to Top of Page

HoJo
Permanent Resident

USA
1474 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2005 :  8:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit HoJo's Homepage Send HoJo a Private Message
Why store credit only? I'm probably going to allow returns of new yarn merchandise as long as they have the receipt and its still in its original condition. Only 1 other store in my area does this, the rest have store credit only and it seems to be a very big complaint with customers.

I have the Same return (or should I say no return policy) with patterns, books and needles.

HoJo

Our estore: www.fullthreadahead.com
Yarn for the mind, body, and soul

My blog: www.fullthreadahead.com/blog
Go to Top of Page

barbcole
New Pal

12 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2005 :  9:32:07 PM  Show Profile Send barbcole a Private Message
Well, if you offer a "cash" refund -- in theory customers could buy much more than they need for their project only to return it at 29 days and you're stuck with a few odd skeins of an old dye lot. If you limit it to store credit you in theory make people think a bit more about how many need they and if they do return it you haven't really lost that much.

Not that knitters are known for abusing return policies. Except for one literally crazy lady, I've *never* had a problem (knock on wood).

I am currently doing 14 days cash refund, 30 days store credit. Though I'm not picky about the dates, as I said it hasn't been a problem so I haven't been enforcing it -- but it's in writing on my sales slips in case someone tries to make it a problem.

The are two other shops in my area -- one is 7 days cash, the other is 90 days store credit.
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  01:33:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
The rules I have seen include:

returns within 4 weeks
returns only accepted if dye lot still in stock
returns only for shop credit
return of needles for exchange within 24 hours with original packaging(allows for tension square to be done and then exchange if larger/smaller required)

Wen

2005 stats: 7 FO, 9 WIP, 1 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  04:58:32 AM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
You also need to check with your local government regulations. Many states require that your return policy be posted prominently where it can be seen. And they may also have regulations about "merchantability"...in other words, if the goods are defective or cannot be used as intended, you have to give refunds.

My LYS has a 30 day return policy with receipt only, but yarn must be in original condition. No returns on books or needles. They also have a rubber stamp stating the policy that they stamp on the back of each receipt, just so there aren't any misunderstandings.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  05:31:32 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I've seen one shop weight the yarn to make certain it hasn't been used for a swatch then returned, which is actually a good idea.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

goldmine
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  6:31:16 PM  Show Profile Send goldmine a Private Message
My return policy is No Cash Refunds unless it is a good customer that buys alot and only if they are returning 4 or 5 skeins. Otherwise in store credit.
Cathy
Country Yarn Boutique
Go to Top of Page

greengirl
Seriously Hooked

Taiwan
679 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  06:16:07 AM  Show Profile Send greengirl a Private Message
Don't forget to also specify your policy on returns of special order yarn and make sure people are clear on it when an order is placed. I have dealt with yarn stores before where a percentage of the price must be paid at the time of the order and there was no returns on that yarn once delivery was accepted. I know other stores have different policies.
Go to Top of Page

amandaCO
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  4:05:56 PM  Show Profile Send amandaCO a Private Message
Most of the yarn shops I frequent will accept odd balls back within 6 months of purchase so long as they are in original condition. The idea is that you can buy an extra ball and if you don't need it for the project return it when you are done. These odd balls can still sell even if the dyelot isn't in stock since people often need only one for small projects or fair isle. Of course, this return is for store credit only.

Also, most of the yarn shops I go to do not accept returns of any patterns or books and usually needles can only be exchanged or returned for credit within 3 days of purchase. The idea here being that if they grabbed the wrong size they can return it. I've never been charged in advance (or extra) for a special order. I have been told that they won't place my order until they have enough to make a minimum order, which isn't a big deal.
Go to Top of Page

imm
New Pal

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  1:32:43 PM  Show Profile Send imm a Private Message
my return policy has always been pretty much with no time limit. merchadise can be brought back for store credit or exchange. i often switch needles for people. books have never been a problem. i have even taken back some sale stuff but that isn't really an issue.
Go to Top of Page

up2late
Warming Up

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  06:46:30 AM  Show Profile Send up2late a Private Message
My store policy has been pretty lenient also. I have taken all requests for refunds and exchanges - except for the lady that wanted to return a partial skein for store credit!
I have my policy posted on my website as well as in the store. I put special policies for sale items on a white board near the register.
I have tried to avoid needle exchanges by letting them try on needles at the shop before purchasing them. Most seem thrilled to be able to try them and often buy more than one set.

Go to Top of Page

counterculture
Gabber Extraordinaire

453 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  07:42:57 AM  Show Profile Send counterculture a Private Message
30 Days? For what size project? That seems a bit unreasonable. I know I have never knitted a sweater in 30 days. My favorite LYS takes returns up to a year, and I don't think I have ever returned anything there. A friend of mine bought one skein of Cascade 220 (along with various other things) because she liked the color. I think she thought she was going to make a headband or mittens. About six months later, the LYSO was very nice about exchanging the one skein for two of a matching dye lot so she could knit a scarf. Nice customer service.
There's another LYS which I frequent which has much more stringent guidelines, and frankly, they drive me nuts. They sell you a bag with their logo on it for $15. If you have your bag with you, you receive a 10% discount. She's sold about 6,000 bags, or was it 3,000. Anyway, those bags had a good mark-up in them.
She gives 90 days to return for store credit, and they are sticklers about that.
WHat really honked me off, was once when I bought yarn for a sweater. It was on sale. I bought two greens for a stripe when I needed two creams or vice versa. I went back the very next day to exchange one skein for the correct color. Of course, the sale had ended, so they charged me the full price for the one skein of the correct color. It was only $1.80 difference, but I thought it was really cheesy. My point is, one way to drive away customers is by being so difficult on the occasional return.
One way to minimize returns is to offer to "wind" the yarn. I don't think anybody takes a return on those.

If everything is under control, you are going too slow." Mario Andretti
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  08:17:06 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
30 days is more than reasonable. When working on a project you will know after knitting up a couple of balls whether or not you have enough.

I think 30 days is more than generous. Most industries give you a week to ten days for returns.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra C
Gabber Extraordinaire

403 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  08:59:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sandra C's Homepage Send Sandra C a Private Message
The Tale of Two Yarn Shops
There are several yarn shops in this area, but two that are the focus of this very short story.

Store #1 accepts no returns on books, needles, patterns, gadgets. They have one sale each year, in which many but not all yarns are 20% off. At checkout, the clerk draws a red line through the label of each skein. No returns on sale yarns. During the sale (which I just attended because I had a gift certificate to use up), the owner was telling some customers that she had gotten the new (name) yarn in, but was hiding it in her office until the sale was over.

Store #2 accepts returns of unused yarn at any time ever, no time limit. She says that she wants you to be sure that you have enough for your project and realizes that it could be months before you even start it, so go ahead and get that extra skein. Really! She accepts returns of books, needles, and gadgets, but not patterns and magazines. She always has some yarns on sale, and carries yarn at every budget level. She has Knit Nights, classes, lots of displays, and very importantly, she welcomes everybody who comes in, most by name. Going to her shop is fun.

I spend most of my knitting dollars at Store #2, and I have only once returned yarn. I want her to stay in business.

I go to Store #1 only when I have been given a gift certificate to spend. I can hardly wait to get out of there. It's stifling in every sense of the word.

Sandra in NY
Knitter for Life
Go to Top of Page

vintage
Chatty Knitter

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  7:05:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit vintage's Homepage Send vintage a Private Message
I think a 30 day return policy is more than reasonable. Sometimes customers just want everything their way. However, retailers may have sold out of the product, the manufacturer may have discontinued the color, or the dye lot may be sold out. It makes no sense to take back item months later. The retailer would in may cases, such as a discontinued yarn color, have to put it on clearance just to get rid of it.

Go to Top of Page

counterculture
Gabber Extraordinaire

453 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  07:21:00 AM  Show Profile Send counterculture a Private Message
Yeah, the funny thing is, I've never returned anything to the LYS with the generous policy. My experiences are more like Sandra's. It seems to be a trust issue. Abundant thinking must get abundant results. My LYSO seems energized by her success. She's beloved by all, had to move to a larger location, and shows no signs of slowing down. I admit, she has a gift for retailing. Not only is she hugely popular with her customers, she must be a delight with the maufacturers, because she moves so much yarn! She has fabulous sales twice a year, and a huge room with clearance yarn all the time. And on the off chance that she doesn't have the yarn you want, she's not afraid to suggest another local retailer, so she seems to have a good rapport with the other LYS as well. Guess her confidence comes from 20 years of success.

If everything is under control, you are going too slow." Mario Andretti
Go to Top of Page

cableready
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  11:57:02 AM  Show Profile Send cableready a Private Message
quote:
counterculture Posted - 07/13/2005 : 07:21:00 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, the funny thing is, I've never returned anything to the LYS with the generous policy. My experiences are more like Sandra's. It seems to be a trust issue. Abundant thinking must get abundant results

I think this is so true. I have a LYS which allows returns for up to a year, I believe, maybe 6 months. As with the stores mentioned in previous posts, they want you to have enough yarn to complete your project. I have only ever once returned something there and that was probably 8 years ago. However, I am more apt to buy large amounts of yarn for my projects there, rather than other LYS, because I know if I over buy I can return the extras. Also, this store offers cash refunds, and I know if I were to return something store credit would be all I would ask for, as I know I would use it there. :)

Pamela

Go to Top of Page

belacane
Warming Up

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  8:20:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit belacane's Homepage Send belacane a Private Message
I have an e-store only, and I accept returns of anything, anytime, as long as I can resell the product. Haven't had anyone try to abuse this one. I do have the occasional customer who buys spinning fiber, not understanding that it isn't actually yarn, and returns it, but again, it's always in good resalable condition. But I don't reimburse original shipping (or the return shipping to me) unless the product was shipped in error. I suppose this is less likely to occur in a brick-and-mortar store where people actually look at what they're buying!

D.

Donna
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  05:59:05 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
We accept yarn back in it's original condition within a reasonable time- six months. If we wind up with the occasional single ball left, we will stockpile those single balls and once a year, prior to our sale[50% off] we kit up color-coordinated project kits. We include a pattern for 3 simple projects in the kits. These kits are not part of the sale at an additional markdown, as we discount the kit at the time of assembledge.
We will also exchange needles, as many of our patrons don't remember what they have sitting at home.
In our experience, we have found that even when they are returning; they usually wind up purchasing more than the original store credit. KL
Go to Top of Page

angelcooper@hotmail.com
Gabber Extraordinaire

541 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  12:04:24 PM  Show Profile Send angelcooper@hotmail.com a Private Message
I was in a yarn store in Atlanta a couple opf weks ago. I believe that her policy was returns within 3 months. This is great becasue sometimes you buy more just becasue of the dye lot and then don't use it.

Angel
Knitting and spinning in the Shenandoah Valley

My blog - http://vaknittingangel.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth