Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Quiviut
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Quiviut
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  08:36:42 AM  Show Profile Send Quiviut a Private Message
Hello I have just picked up 2.5 lbs of raw Quiviut. I found a place in Portland that will de hair and spin into yarn.My problem is I am a 44 year old guy that has not a clue what to do as of size of yarn how to knit ect. I am looking for either trade of Quiviut or to pay someone to do some quality knitting. please e-mail me at pa18tony@yahoo.com I live in Wasilla Alaska Thanks Tony

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  08:45:45 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
*drool, slobber, drool, lust, drool*

TWO AND A HALF FREEKING POUNDS !

POUNDS!

and I have dreams of someday getting my hands on an OUNCE!

you want it spun into the finest yarn they can manage.

On second thought...

a-hem.

quviut.

Why would you want that?
Let me send you some Red Heart Acrylic in exchange and I'll take that horrible nasty stuff off your hands.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

Quiviut
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  08:54:34 AM  Show Profile Send Quiviut a Private Message
I just happend to be where a herd of Musk Ox were hanging out and when they moved I started looking and picking. I will go out today and try to find more. I am serious about having stuff made into hat,mittens,scarf or whatever. This will make good x-mas presents.
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  09:07:20 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
YOu can say THAT again.

I'm seriously booked up for about a year with projects or I would jump at this.

You'll have a LOT of shrinkage with the dehairing - I don't remember what the figures are for collected qiviut. (I researched this at one point) Bison undercoat runs at about 50 to 60 percent though (weight loss in dehairing)
Anyway - for top-quality yarn higher loss is probably better then lower.

and because it is so warm AND because it is truly a luxery fiber you will want it spun as finely as can be afforded.

Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  09:46:31 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
MMario, I saw this earlier and thought what a lucky guy is our Tony.. wow!! Of course, I second your advice about fine yarn.

Tony if you want to ask for a blend for your mittens and things, talk with the spinners. Also I suggest you look around the internet to see what others are offering in the way of patterns and Yarns using this wonderful fiber to give you better ideas about what to ask for in terms of your needs in a yarn.

lella [img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]
http://zippiknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  11:48:12 AM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
I didn't know there was 2.5 lbs. of quiviut in existence! Did you win the lottery or something?

I'm jealous......and envious........and pouting.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

pianogal
Seriously Hooked

629 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  12:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit pianogal's Homepage Send pianogal a Private Message
wow..
that stuff is soo expensive. I was just in Canada and really wanted some, but it was $98 a ball. So soft and beautiful...

http://abeginningknitter.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1350 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  1:25:29 PM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
Tony, I sent you an email.

Jayme
Go to Top of Page

HellaHelen
Chatty Knitter

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  2:19:10 PM  Show Profile Send HellaHelen a Private Message
Yowza. I just emailed you too, Tony.

Helen
Go to Top of Page

Quiviut
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  08:03:27 AM  Show Profile Send Quiviut a Private Message
Quiviut update.Went out last nite and picked up 1/2 pound of Quiviut. This puts me at the min. for dehair and spinning of 3lbs. I am pleased at the response for my knitting help request. For those interested where I am finding the hair of the musk ox, I am on the northern most coast of Alaska. After work I will be looking again, people are starting to make sense of what I am doing.
Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  10:19:19 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
You're our new best friend!

Rebecca

"Nothing you do for children is ever wasted"--Garrison Keillor
http://zentopia.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Quiviut
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  09:16:35 AM  Show Profile Send Quiviut a Private Message
QUIVIUT update. For one I found that i have been spelling Quiviut wrong it's Qiviut. I am now up to 4lbs. now. called the spinnner and she said that I can count on at least 50% recovery when it's all said and done. She also told me it would be about a 2 month turn around. So it looks like the end of September before I receive the yarn. Thank you for all the intrest. I am thinking that I will want headbands, 2 pair of mittens and 2 caps. I am still trying to find out how many oz's of yarn for each. The yarn i will be getting is 2 ply sport? at 220yrd's a oz. Tony
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  09:20:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Qiviut weighs less than many other fibers, in my experience. For most wools I would recommend 4 oz for hats and 4 oz for mittens, but at that yardage you might go to just 2 oz for each project....

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Jolene
Sustaining Member

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  09:41:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jolene's Homepage Send Jolene a Private Message
Did you say Christmas Gifts I'll send you my address[:00]!!!!!
Jolene

My Photos: http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/babette_nardiello/my_photos
Our Web: www.trkennels.com
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  09:59:02 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
If you figure a generous 4 oz each for hats and mittens, 2 oz for the headbands that fould be a total of 20 oz. (assuming 2 headbands)

YOu have 4 lbs (64 oz) already which should yield you 2 lbs spun (32 oz) - which means you should have 12 ounces to use as barter for the labor of knitting. I have found it on the web at prices ranging from $29 per ounce to $70 per ounce.

Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  08:14:00 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
I think a lacy scarf would be nice using the sportweight. There were examples of what the Inuits have been knitting for their qivuit co-op: Oomingmak in Anchorage, on Animal Planet this morning. I like the suggestion to blend some of it with merino wool so that you get a heavier weight yarn that isn't too warm to wear and it will go further.

Rebecca

Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  08:18:16 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
The web site:
http://www.qiviut.com

Go to Top of Page

Quiviut
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  09:40:43 AM  Show Profile Send Quiviut a Private Message
Qiviut update. Just when I was about ready to call it quits I inspired two other seekers! We call ourselves shed hunters. I pick up moose antler sheds in the spring and my cohart picks up deer antlers in ND.Last night was my best night ever!The scale showed 1.9lbs. end weight will be less some was damp but im sure it will be over 1.5lbs. I think the total is around 5.5lbs.now. I have 6 more days before I head back to the real world. Lost some weight got some blisters and not much sleep but this is a once in a life time gig. Tony
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  09:53:46 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
I envy you.

Go to Top of Page

llamafiber4
Chatty Knitter

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  5:37:15 PM  Show Profile Send llamafiber4 a Private Message
Tony We all envy you and want to knit for you so how about letting each of us knit something for you. How lucky for you to be in such a wonderful place. [blush]

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  5:42:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
I'll do the knitting for you in exchange for an equivalent amount of dehaired fiber. You don't even have to have my fiber spun.

Now excuse me while I wipe the drool off my computer screen...

-Wendy
Did you know God was a knitter?
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." Psalm 139:13

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/StripyFixationribbedsocks.jpg[/IMG]
Oh, no, I'm blogging now! Click to see it!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?