Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Quiviut
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  7:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Where, where, where are you finding this stuff??? I am a Canuck knitter whose dollar is already compromised and I am headed for Alaska on a cruise July 23 (stops in Juno, Skagway and Ketchican -- apologies for any misspelling!!). I would *love* to bring some "Q" home...is it a pipe dream???

-- Marg (lusting for Q) in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

typingN
Chatty Knitter

145 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2005 :  06:48:33 AM  Show Profile Send typingN a Private Message
I just saw the word "qivit" in a knitting book. What is it? I saw you mention the underhair of Bison.

J
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2005 :  12:37:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
Hi Tony;
I did the same thing as you about 25 years ago. I'm a geologist and while working in the Arctic collected all summer. Our whole crew collected the fur. We carried pillowcases in our packs for this very reason. Since I used to spin linen, I took some of the qiviut and spun yarn from it, and knit up some hats and mitts. They all went as gifts! Don't know what the others did with their amounts.
Last year my husband bought me enough of a very finely spun qiviut for a pullover for myself. With the 52 grams of leftovers, I designed and knit a unique toque. Best projects ever! Have fun!
Arctic-mermaid
Go to Top of Page

YukonViv
New Pal

Canada
17 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2005 :  2:10:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit YukonViv's Homepage Send YukonViv a Private Message
TypingN

qiviuq is from a musk ox. They molt very badly (the musk ox) and they leave behing this precious material that can be spun. Oh it's heaven. Our knitting shop here in town Folknits (in Whitehorse, YK, which is only a hour and a half trip from Skagway for the lady that is going to Skagway) has it here. I'm waiting till I'm more knitting savvy before splurging on the wool. I remember seeing a skein for about $68. Its warmer then sheeps wool and so very very light.

You can read more about it here: http://www.folknits.com/

musk ox roam free in alaska and the Yukon and people can go collect it up. I really really want to do that sometime but I'll have to take a trip farther north to do it. They aren't around the southern Yukon. The only thing here that sheds is my Sheltie.

Vivian, Land of the Midnight Sun
http://www.nn.dlpgraphics.ca/blog/
Go to Top of Page

typingN
Chatty Knitter

145 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2005 :  06:09:00 AM  Show Profile Send typingN a Private Message
Thank you. Bison was also mentioned. Do bison have a comparable or similar material. My DDs friend knows someone who owns a bison farm.

J

quote:
Originally posted by YukonViv

TypingN

qiviuq is from a musk ox. They molt very badly (the musk ox) and they leave behing this precious material that can be spun. Oh it's heaven. Our knitting shop here in town Folknits (in Whitehorse, YK, which is only a hour and a half trip from Skagway for the lady that is going to Skagway) has it here. I'm waiting till I'm more knitting savvy before splurging on the wool. I remember seeing a skein for about $68. Its warmer then sheeps wool and so very very light.

You can read more about it here: http://www.folknits.com/

musk ox roam free in alaska and the Yukon and people can go collect it up. I really really want to do that sometime but I'll have to take a trip farther north to do it. They aren't around the southern Yukon. The only thing here that sheds is my Sheltie.

Vivian, Land of the Midnight Sun
http://www.nn.dlpgraphics.ca/blog/

Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2005 :  07:14:59 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
yes - bison have something comparable - not as warm or fine as qiviut.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

knitlethab
Seriously Hooked

Canada
604 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2005 :  10:18:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitlethab's Homepage Send knitlethab a Private Message
I've seen some Quivit that was spun with silk....very very nice. there is endless possibilities. I think there would be a few hand or machine knitters almost anywhere these days that would knit your quivit up. As the world is turning into a knitworld....there are a lot of knitters out there. I would check and compare prices. Hit the phonebooks for knit shops is one good way to go as well.

Sharon

www.knittingtime.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by