Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Stiff upper lip and bags of yarn
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Maybird
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  10:08:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maybird's Homepage Send Maybird a Private Message
I am a Londoner. I went clothes shopping today (I need a smart outfit as I have been invited to a wedding). I came home with absolutely no new clothes and a HUGE bag of yarn, with lots of plans for lovely cuddly sweaters and a little dress for my toddler niece and shawls and mittens. I already have quite a stash and my husband is laughing at me in a resigned sort of way, but I know I need some serious knitting therapy, to keep me brave and cheerful while we all get over the bombing (still haven't heard from my aunt or brother. Argh). Knitting is comforting, right?

Beckyh
Gabber Extraordinaire

471 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  10:23:47 AM  Show Profile Send Beckyh a Private Message
My thoughts are with you in London. You have my permission to buy all the yarn you want.

Becky
Go to Top of Page

Punctuatedknitter
Seriously Hooked

819 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  10:31:09 AM  Show Profile Send Punctuatedknitter a Private Message
I think knitting is very good for times of stress and grief. I picked up knitting again two years ago when we had a death in the family. I knitted for loved ones, and it not only gave me something to do with my hands in the long hours or when I couldn't sleep, but then I could think good thoughts of the person I was knitting for.
Thoughts and prayers with you and your family.
Go to Top of Page

Shellizabeth
Chatty Knitter

Canada
312 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  10:31:35 AM  Show Profile Send Shellizabeth a Private Message
I'm glad you made it home safely. I was horrified when I first learned of the bombing, I don't understand how someone can do something like that. I hope you hear from your family members soon. I know knitting will help in the days to come. BIG HUGS Shellizabeth

There is no such thing as too much yarn or too many needles!! Or too many knitting bags either!!!
Go to Top of Page

KellyKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1608 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  10:41:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit KellyKnits's Homepage Send KellyKnits a Private Message
I think the knitting sounds like a good plan to keep your mind occupied. When I watch the news I feel like it's still the days after September 11th -watching the news numb wanting to cry and having to watch what's happened. I just sobbed watching the news last night. I spent about 7 weeks in Oxford and travelled to London once or twice a week and have been in the tube and stood in the places where the people who are now dead stood. Okay - apparently I need some knitting therapy too. I just don't understand how people can kill innocent people.

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

MrsD1
Chatty Knitter

284 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  04:56:13 AM  Show Profile Send MrsD1 a Private Message
I'm so glad you instinctively knew what to do to help you through this difficult time. I'm praying for peaceful times for you and your family. My husband and I will be in England in September so we will be thinking of everyone there and praying for peace.

Patsy
Go to Top of Page

HoJo
Permanent Resident

USA
1474 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  07:49:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit HoJo's Homepage Send HoJo a Private Message
Maybird:

Update, please? Did you hear from your aunt and brother? Is everyone alright?

Our thoughts are with you.

HoJo

Our estore: www.fullthreadahead.com
Yarn for the mind, body, and soul

My blog: www.fullthreadahead.com/blog
Go to Top of Page

Maybird
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  1:17:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Maybird's Homepage Send Maybird a Private Message
HoJo - both OK, thank you for asking. My aunt had gone to France for a holiday, so of course she wasn't answering her phone! My brother is just... my brother, or congenitally incapable of making phone calls. I eventually got hold of him at his office. So all my loved ones are fine. Thank you for your thoughts.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  6:09:54 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Maybird, that reminds of all those stories of knitting through the Blitz.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  04:00:31 AM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
Maybird: My heart went out to everyone when I heard the news. I work in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma where the Murrah building was bombed a few years back. It's hard to believe that a human being would treat another human in this manner. I can't understand the cruel side of some humans. My prayers were for the families of lost ones, hurt ones, and the workers struggling to deal with the destruction. It saddens my heart that some people think violence is the solution to their perceived problems. I was so glad to read that you loved ones are safe.

Vanessa VanTrease

Take time to stop and smell the roses and enjoy life!
Go to Top of Page

SurfinSandy
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
473 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  05:27:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit SurfinSandy's Homepage Send SurfinSandy a Private Message
Knit to your hearts content dearie!
When hubby's dad was in the hospital for the last time, hubby spent alot of time there with him, and I stayed home with the kids trying to make life seem normal. I was coming apart at the seams, just knew it was the end for him but didn't want to admit it to even myself. I picked up a small quilting project I'd left unfinished, and I finished it that weekend. I didn't knot then, but all needlecrafts are therapy. Don't know why, but it really helps hold things together. Glad your family is okay. So sorry for what you had to go through.

Surfin'Sandy

No man has ever been shot while doing the dishes.
Go to Top of Page

Sue Woo
Permanent Resident

USA
1974 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  06:08:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sue Woo's Homepage Send Sue Woo a Private Message
Vanessa,

I actually planted roses just for that purpose. I smell them every day.

Maybird I think your instincts led you in the right direction. We are all thinking of you during this trying time. Best to you.

" If you have a wife you better be sweet to her. My husband wadn't sweet to me and look how I turned out"-Thelma

Sue
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.89 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?