Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Darnit! Why am I sooo impatient?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NancyW
Chatty Knitter

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  1:25:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit NancyW's Homepage Send NancyW a Private Message
I found the yarn I wanted on ebay for a good price, and feeling all proud of myself for checking there and getting a good deal... I thought it was enough yarn for the sweater I wanted to make (trying to decide between three in the same book that all use the same yarn). Well, I didn't have the book with me, but was fairly certain 25 balls would be enough, so I purchased them.

Went home at lunch to get the book and DOH!!! I'm at least 5 balls short for the sweater I want to make if I make it sized for me . I wrote frantic email to the seller asking if she had more of the same yarn in the same dyelot, but of course it's after business hours there, and no reply yet.... Aigh!!!!!

Well, worst case scenario my daughter gets another sweater. I might be able to make one of the sweaters for me (my least favorite, but still very pretty, but I'd only have one ball as a spare and I tend to knit tighter row wize than most patterns call for). I really wanted my next sweater I made to be for meeeeee though! Can I pout?

-Nancy

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  1:33:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Pout away! What a frustrating experience. Maybe we can help locate a different pattern that would work for you and this yarn - which yarn is it?

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

NancyW
Chatty Knitter

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  2:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit NancyW's Homepage Send NancyW a Private Message
Oh goody! Permission to pout! pout pout pout!

Now that that's out of the way... The yarn is Rowan Denim (Memphis Color). it's 100% Cotton and shrinks lengthwise a lot (1/5th according to the book I have). I don't know if I'm adventurous enough to try adapting a pattern (I guess you'd just have to make the sweater really long).

If you have suggestions for patterns that recommend this yarn I'd appreciate it! There is one sweater in the book (Diamond and ZigZag Denim Sweater) that only takes 24 balls in my size, I'll just have to do some swatching work to get my gauge spot on.

Thanks for letting me pout.

-Nancy

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  2:26:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Oh, sweetie, that just bites! Howzbout editing your message by adding the dye lot - I'll bet SOMEONE will come up with some!

Will you come to KnitKnutz on Sunday and let us comfort you?

Go to Top of Page

NancyW
Chatty Knitter

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  2:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit NancyW's Homepage Send NancyW a Private Message

I take back all my pouting! I just heard from the seller and she said she has LOTS of yarn in the same dyelot! I'm ammending my order and going to paypal her as soon as she verifies the additional $ total.

Yippee!!! I'm a happy knitter now!

Lissa: What's KnitKnutz ?

-Nancy

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  3:08:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Hooray! Hooray! I just love a happy ending.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  07:55:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
KnitKnutz is a new, totally informal group of wonderful folks who love to knit - all ages and levels of experience. We congregate every other Sunday at the Barnes & Noble in Fairfax, VA at 1:30 p.m. for knitting, laughing and fabu hot cocoa.

Go to Top of Page

NancyW
Chatty Knitter

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  10:22:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit NancyW's Homepage Send NancyW a Private Message
Lissa:
I would love to come to KnitKnutz, but I live in the wrong part of the country! Have a cup of cocoa for me while you're there next. Sounds like a great time.

-Nancy

Go to Top of Page

sunshinegal123
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  10:34:03 AM  Show Profile Send sunshinegal123 a Private Message
Hey Nancy, If this happens ever again (and it may, here's an idea for when you're desperate. Get more yarn, even if it';s in the wrong die lot, and knit cuffs or sleeves or whatever using 1 row of odd die lot yarn and 1 row of regular yarn . It hardly ever shows, and if it does it will look as thought you PLANNED it that way!
Good luck from Laurie (sunshinegal1230
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  11:24:41 AM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Nancy: Glad you got your yarn. Now you can enjoy your sweater. I tend to buy more yarn than anyone could ever use on a project and that's why I have a closet full of yarn. If I lived in a house instead of an apartment I would probably have a room full of yarn. Beverley

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live!"

Bev
Go to Top of Page

NancyW
Chatty Knitter

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  2:13:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit NancyW's Homepage Send NancyW a Private Message
Bev - we must have the same motivations! I always want "extras" even if I know I'll never need them. I can't seem to resist buying another addi turbo needle when I go to the store, and for a project I like those extra balls of yarn. For socks it's not that much yarn extra, but for sweaters it can really add up! I do have a house, and too much room to expand into... trying to keep it under control, but it's soooo hard!

I bought three extra balls of this yarn for the sweater that takes the most qty, and if I make the simpler sweater I might have enough to make a whole 'nother sweater for my daughter using a different pattern in the same book. Can't wait to get the yarn and start checking my gauge!

-Nancy

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  6:33:31 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Nancy: I won't get into the yarn I have but I also do needlepoint and have I don't know how many scroll frames tied up with unfinished pieces. Needless to say they are all different sizes. A friend wanted to borrow one and when I told her they were tied up she was not a happy camper. Oh, well, can't please everyone. Beverley

PS: If it calls for 10 skeins isn't 11 better? I think so, for what its worth.

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live!"

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Sky
Chatty Knitter

Canada
100 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2003 :  5:04:22 PM  Show Profile Send Sky a Private Message
Hi there, just to let you know, the Rowan Denim really does shrink up. A designer in my knitting group had a bit of a surprise with it. Be sure to get enough ! (That said by a lady who just bought 30 pairs of needles at a thrift store the other day -- who could resist at 50 cents a pair -- beautiful coloured aluminum needles in a full range of sizes)

Go to Top of Page

NancyW
Chatty Knitter

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2003 :  12:50:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit NancyW's Homepage Send NancyW a Private Message
Sky - thanks for the heads up! I think I should be ok on this sweater as the pattern(s) I'm using call for the Denim yarn specifically, and state that they have already accounted for the shrinkage. It does seem like and amazing amount of yarn - I bought 33 balls! I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the box on my doorstep.

-Nancy

Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2656 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2003 :  2:25:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
I always buy one ball of yarn extra ("and one for the sheep" I like to say as I add it to the pile.) I knit to gauge almost every project, and so I end up with lots of leftovers. I find it comforting... I just finished a sweater for which I didn't have an extra ball (it was stash yarn) and I had _exactly_ enough to finish it - thank goodness I had made a scarf out of the same color last fall and saved one 20 inch strand, because I need that for the final seam!

Luann

Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2003 :  6:40:31 PM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
My dear, you are not impatient.

You are merely EAGER.

lemons of missouri

Go to Top of Page

oscarcatt
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2003 :  11:44:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit oscarcatt's Homepage Send oscarcatt a Private Message
I think KnitKnutz is out of the question for me too... I did live in Fairfax breifly... but I fear the DC area was really not for me. I had to go back to Wisconsin. Now I'm dreading the fact that I have to move from my comfortable sized Milwaukee to the way to little Green Bay.

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

NancyW
Chatty Knitter

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2003 :  11:02:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit NancyW's Homepage Send NancyW a Private Message
Lemons: Your post made me laugh!!

From now on when my DH says how impatient I am, I will have a comeback!

-Nancy

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2003 :  9:07:35 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Jennifer: How can you live in those frozen wastelands? Today in San Francisco it has been sunny, no wind and 69 degrees. Supposed to be in the 70's for the weekend. They keep saying beach weather. It is never beach weather in San Francisco for more reasons than one--its too dangerous in the Pacific what with rip tides and the under currents. It is very peculiar for us anytime of the year to be in in 70's--never gets that high even in the summer but then again it never gets way down like Green Bay. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?