Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 On the Needles
 What's up for January?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2058 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  2:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Clara, I like the "new" way to look at this Topic area.
For me January is & will be a month of projects & planning for future projects. My hope for next December & holiday presents is this: can I make all of them or almost all of them? Wouldn't that be terrific?!
There is a list of friends/family & probable gifts for them that I started & I am kicking some ideas around for a few folks. A couple of them may receive some quilted gifts & the rest will receive knitted presents. (My DH gets by pretty well on this, don't you think?! ) I finished an inventory of my yarn & baby, there's enuf to work w/for quite a while!!
By the end of January I hope to have some projects close to completion or completed - scarves, a sweater, socks. I'm having fun!

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  4:06:17 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Marfa,

I've been going through my yarn stash which is enough to make a grown woman cry! I want to try to get it logged onto my Needle Trax software and learn just how to optimize the program, which up to now I haven't done.

January is a "starting over & organizational" month for me and it's just as well that I decided to do this because I've made a resolution (hey, it's not too late to make a New Years resolution is it )? I am NOT, that is NO WAY, NO SHAPE, NO FORM, NO HOW going to purchase anymore yarn for at least a 6 months. I should be ashamed of how much I have and I really need to start using some of it up before I go spending once again.

Now, here's the kicker....this resolution cannot begin until you and I meet for lunch and browsing in one of our local yarnshops in January, but hey, that's okay, right?

Hugs, Patience
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4391 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  4:21:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
January is the month I spend getting life back in order, and resting up. The Christmas rush is always intense at work, but after it's over I feel like there's not enough time between it and the summer season -- managing a store in a resort area is something I can't believe I survive! So I plan a vacation, read more, do stuff around the house (those new curtains are all pinned and ready to sew), and try to honor this sweet little gift of time. After all, this is when the seeds are getting ready to sprout, the days are growing longer, and the earth is beginning to wake up. I think it's time for a yawn and a stretch. Oh, and more socks, of course!

Jane
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  4:35:05 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Patience, I agree, Jan. is the month for organizing and finishing existing wips and planning the upcoming years projects. Well my last wip is on my needles, plus a new sweater started, but in the meantime I just bought some beautiful stuff off e bay and then I just found elann and of course found some great yarn cheap for another project I want to do, so starting now NO MORE YARN PURCHASES. I can hardly wait to receive the yarn from elann. That is such a great site. Oh I forgot I also bought some new addis and the new button site someone put on is great so now I have to get some new buttons, but not till I see the new yarn.

Zola
Go to Top of Page

welshladygwen@citlink.net
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  10:31:30 PM  Show Profile Send welshladygwen@citlink.net a Private Message
My biggie this year is to spin. I am also going to be designing professionally for the first time! OOOOOH, SHIVERS! I want to honour the creativity which has been shunted aside while I was so ill over the past few years. Now that I'm feeling so well, it is exciting to have thoughts & schemes again.
I love to knit w/ my handspun. It is so alive & vibrant. But, if I don't get off my duff & spin, I shall have no new yarns to play with!
Some people have stashes of yarn. I have a bit. But, my major stash is in the form of FLEECE! & I should have gotten them all washed this summer. AHEM! So... it is wash as I can & commit to doing as much as possible with them when the weather is nice. Maybe string hammocks between the house & the sheep enclosure? Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

chrisknits
New Pal

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  10:44:01 PM  Show Profile Send chrisknits a Private Message
January means celebration for me! Birthday is today, 2 parties this weekend. Although one is a "surprise" party I am throwing for myself. My DH and kids are getting into it also. And dinner out with DH and no kids is the 2nd party!
My goals, I guess for January is the topic. I hope to cast on for a Poetry In Stitches sweater for youngest DD, deadline is Easter. I also plan to get back to a sweater for myself, need to set a deadline for it. I find if I have a planned reason for the knitting I get it done in a timely fashion. Except for socks and hats, they are so quick they don't seem to languish!

Chris
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  10:58:28 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Marfa: Don't know about January but the end of February there is Stitches 2003 West in Oakland. Looking forward to all that good stuff. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  04:54:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message
Like Patience, I have a yarn stash bordering on embarrassing - I've said that "when the going gets tough, the tough buy yarn" and boy, the going was tough in 2002. I'm determined to work my way through it this year, just so I can....buy more yarn! I have several projects in the pipeline, for myself and family, and too many projects germinating in my brain. Lots of people will be getting knitted presents this year, too. In my non-knitting life, if my husband's condition remains stable (God willing) I'm going to sign up for classes in March and get my real estate license back this year - it's time to transition out of my current job and start thinking long term again. I also want to learn to sew. Bring on 2003 - after surviving last year, I can get through anything!

Go to Top of Page

MichelleKS
New Pal

45 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  07:49:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit MichelleKS's Homepage Send MichelleKS a Private Message
I find January as a reorganizing thoughts and stuff month. I am looking for some new knitting challenges this year after a very productive knitting year in 2002. I did some stash reduction in December at a yarn swap, but also gain some new yarn as well as buying a few skeins recently, but I have in the past and will hopefully continue to try and keep myself from buying too much yarn since I just don't have the space to keep it all and I find that I get a bit too manic about knitting when I have tons of yarn screaming at me!
For the past few months I have been all about de-cluttering my life in many ways! (go to www.flylady.com for more tips on de-cluttering your world). I will continue this into 2003 and beyond.

Go to Top of Page

kiwi
Chatty Knitter

New Zealand
162 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  10:15:02 AM  Show Profile Send kiwi a Private Message
Well my DH and I are moving back home to NZ in June after, in his case 7 years in the US and my case 4 years in Europe and 5 years in the US, so we are really having to get our lives in order! We've already started cleaning through cupboards. We have 3 moving companies coming next week to give us quotes and have lists of 'definitely keep', 'maybe keep' (depending on the cost), and 'definitely discard'. Unfortunately all of this excitement means that we are saving everything we can which means no more yarn for now. Just when I'd discovered ebay! However I've got plenty to keep me busy for now and maybe closer to the time there will be some leeway in the budget to invest in some yarn that won't be so easy to buy from NZ!
On another note, United Airlines have just announced they will no longer fly to NZ starting in March. Just as well we hadn't booked our flight yet, although we'll have to book soon as the alternatives will fill up fast (there aren't many alternatives!)
Penny

Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  12:17:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
I am definately in a clean-up/out mood. The holiday decorations and dishes will be getting put away over the next week or so, and I really feel like I need a fresh start with things. (I don't always).
Who amoung us doesn't have a stash!? I too will use some yarn up before buying more, but I know better than to say I won't buy! Most of my stash is in amounts to make sweaters, so it will take me some time to use up much of my stash, but I'll try.

Go to Top of Page

Sky
Chatty Knitter

Canada
100 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2003 :  4:56:18 PM  Show Profile Send Sky a Private Message
Oh, like everyone else, I am making the resolutions to finish my wips and to use my stash and resist the urge to buy more yarn. I also want to invent some new projects that use up small amounts of yarn. So far I am planning to knit fuzzy stuffed hearts for a grapevine wreath for my front door, and afterward to make some bunnies and easter eggs for another wreath later on. I seem to be at the two balls of this and three balls of that stage. Hmmm, technically these would be new projects and I'm supposed to be finishing already started ones. Oh well, at least they will use up some odd balls.

Go to Top of Page

cathyf
New Pal

0 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2003 :  4:50:14 PM  Show Profile Send cathyf a Private Message
Sounds like we all have a good size stash to work through One of my resolutions is to plan some projects to use up some of my stash this year. We made a big move a year ago and when it came time to pack up my yarn I was amazed at how much I had accumulated. I did give some of it to a local arts program, but some of it was just to hard to let go of so it made the move as well. My grown up daughter has recently a gotten the knitting bug (yeah) and we have had fun going through my yarn together planning projects. January is also time to finish the unfinished Christmas present, the one wrapped up with the needles still in it. Please tell me I'm not the only one who does that!! Also have a sweater to finish for myself, and than there's the socks and oh yes, I have several spinning projects to do. I want to spin some yarn for hats for some friends that I hike with. I would like to try dying the yarn for the hats with Koolaid, which I have not tried yet. It's looking to be a busy 2003. It's great finding this knitters review. Thank you to who ever set this up, it' wonderful.
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2003 :  5:00:35 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
WHAT JANUARY MEANS TO ME - As I live in Australia January is the middle of summer, I love to retreat to my backyard and sit in my special cane chair (or Mummy's knitting throne as it is affectionately known) and knit cotton koolies, this pattern was put out at least 15 years ago and I have long lost count of how many I've made for family and friends, come December and the phone calls start "can you make me a koolie for...".

December is also the start of the school year, so its back to spending time on my own - lots of lovely free knitting time. I also daydream about sorting my stash into some sort of order, I have been thinking this for well over 25 years and as yet nothing has eventuated ditto the patterns.

I've also started knitting a thick chunky coat from the English Womens Weekly annual knitting magazine, along with the hat that was on the front of Vogue Knitting.

Anybody in Oz who is interested in knitting please get in touch, I live in Melbourne my e-mail address is rickyrock@bigpond.com.

Rose

Rose Windman
Go to Top of Page

kepkake
Chatty Knitter

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  11:26:27 AM  Show Profile Send kepkake a Private Message
Hi Rose,
What are cotton Koolies? It sounds lovely to have some warm weather. It's snowing here again (Pennsylvania) and has been bitter cold for about 2 weeks. Enjoy your day...it sounds wonderful.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2003 :  6:35:42 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi Wendy,

Cotton Koolies were put out by Gem Cotton or Cottontop, I think they have long ceased to make that yarn but I usually have something in my stash to fit the project. You use the Cottontop which is an 8 ply cotton double and I think if my memory serves me correctly the first size you cast on 34 stitches and away you go, they are so easy you can knit one in a night.

I've also used thick wool in the winter and added long sleeves and sewed in pearls (not real ones, the ones you buy from the button shop), I've also made them in Angora, Mohair and all sorts of other wool, its also a great way to use up old yarn.

My daughter said we should call the Angora, Mohair ones Fuzzies and the Wool ones Warmies - she is only 10.

I haven't seen snow for at least 20 years and that was when we went to a ski resort. I used to live in Great Britain and I loved the season changes they are so much more direct and that makes it so spcial.

Yesterday it was 40 degrees, I don't know what that is in farenheit but I believe it is well over 100 degrees, a lot of country Australia is in drought, which has then caused bushfires, it must be very frightening for those country people. It is so bad we can smell the smoke most days and there has been a smokey pall which has hung over the city for days.

Thank you for your reply I hope I haven't rambled on too much.

Tell me if you have general questions what do you put them, under what heading?

My first question is a friend of my husband stayed in my wool room or the spare room to everybody else. Unfortunately after he left I found out that he was a smoker, now all of my wool stinks of cigarettes and some of the lighter yarn has gone brown in places. He was supposed the stay for 3 weeks but it turned into 9 weeks. Never again will I offer anyone the use of my home indefinitely, although if it came to the crunch I probably would.

Anyway getting back to the question in hand is the wool salvageable or will I have to get rid of it. Do I knit up the wool and then wash it or wash it first, if it is the latter - do I bung it in the washing machine as a whole ball or unravel it and handwash it. Mind you there are at least 2,500 balls of wool at last count which was about seven years ago so it might have grown a tad since then.

My second question is I bought The Incredible Knitting Machine, its also known as a Bond Knitting Machine its supposed to be the most basic one there is but for the life of me I cannot make it work, I've watched the video over and over and have even had friends look at it but still no go, I then bought a 2nd one from an Op Shop for $10 thinking maybe it was something that was missing on the first but its still the same old thing - any suggestions.

I'm really going now.

Rose.

Rose Windman
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2003 :  04:56:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Welcome Rose -

For your questions about smoke scented yarn I'd suggest you go to both the fiber section and the yarn section of the forums. But oh my how awful to have 2500+ balls of yarn with a stinkey scent. I think lots of open windows, boxes of baking soda and any other scent absorbing powder I could find would be in order. Also, in may states there are "home extension agents" which are graduates from agricultural colleges with degrees in home ecconomics. They are a gold mine of information on how to do just about anything in your house. Perhaps there are agencies like that in Australia. But I am so intrigued by your predicament I am going to ask mine and see what she says. I promise to report back when I hear.

As for a machine knitting question - it is time to ask Clara to open up a new section on KR for machine knitters. I just looked and didn't see one!

sigh.

January 31 is here and almost none of the plans I made on the 1st have come to fruition. I got 25% of my stash organized and then burned my fingers so badly I couldn't really do much of anything except wallow in self pity. I had wanted to have a complete inventory of my stash so I would not be tempted to buy anything else for a while. Instead, I felt sorry for me and bought Kids Knitting - because the copy in the library is always checked out.

But Marfa, I have loved reading this post and since nothing worked out as I had planned, I'm glad I didn't reply earlier.

Go to Top of Page

qwerty
Chatty Knitter

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2003 :  10:25:26 AM  Show Profile Send qwerty a Private Message
Rose I was given some yarns by a smoker I put the yarns into plastic bags with ceder blocks and left them sealed up for a month.It worked.Happy knitting.Maggie
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2003 :  2:22:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Rose, when (if!!) I get around to painting I get rid of the paint smell by cutting an onion in half and leaving it in the room. It seems to absorb all of the paint fumes and makes it liveable again. Perhaps that would be a help for you too. At least it is cheap!

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2003 :  10:44:17 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Thanks so much for you answers to my dilemmas regarding the smell, but are the ones that have the brown stains on them salvageable or not?

This is just so cool people that answer you.

Thanks

Rose

Rose Windman
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by