Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Forum Feedback and Suggestion Box
 A call for Peace
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1350 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  11:24:57 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
I want to start by saying I love this forum. I really like the openness and variety of people here, in addition to the wonderful knitting content, but I'm starting to see a new trend.

There has been a lot of griping and ranting in the past few weeks on a variety of topics. I know I can choose to ignore them and I usually do. But as a community can we please all try to get along and allow people to have their own opinions? I understand that people want to be heard and that is fine, state your opinion, I think most of us want to hear it. But why beat a dead horse? Many of these topics have gone on for over 5 pages without any resolution and people keep restating the same things. We hear you, we acknowledge what you are saying, some may not agree, lets leave it at that.

I applaud the people who have stood up and asked for a stop to a few of these topics. Please take this as a public call to get back to the peace, acceptance and tranquility that knitting can bring.

Jayme

highdesertrose
Gabber Extraordinaire

Malta
544 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  12:00:04 PM  Show Profile Send highdesertrose a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by jaymeKnits
[br Please take this as a public call to get back to the peace, acceptance and tranquility that knitting can bring.

Jayme

Amen to that!

~~justine~~
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  12:49:11 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
As a long time member of KR, I don't know why, but every now and then this pops up. It will get back to normal for a while and then it will pop up again. Just hang in and in a while this too will pass.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

becka always
Permanent Resident

USA
1959 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  8:24:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit becka always's Homepage Send becka always a Private Message
Thank you, Jayme, I am in full agreement; as, I'm sure many people are. That was very, very kind and thoughtful of you to mention and for you to 2nd the great idea, Justine. You have been a member longer than I, Zola, but I have noticed this happening just as you described; and IMHO, it's as it is in our lives, things seem to go ever so well in many (if not all) aspects of life for a long period of time....then all of a sudden...BAM, 'it' hits you to disrupt & hurt you & your way of life. as in life (and here); this, too, shall pass . You are a sweet group of girls with kind hearts, your posts make that very apparent; thank you for that

[blush]Addicted to the Knit
Becka Always
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  9:25:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
Remember that for some of us, debate and "argument" is fun. I agree that name-calling and belittling of other people is uncalled-for, but plain old "nope, you're wrong, here's my proof" debates are (for some of us) a real good time, and isn't at all a sign that we don't like each other.

-Wendy
Did you know God was a knitter?
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." Psalm 139:13

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/StripyFixationribbedsocks.jpg[/IMG]
Oh, no, I'm blogging now! Click to see it!
Go to Top of Page

becka always
Permanent Resident

USA
1959 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  11:18:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit becka always's Homepage Send becka always a Private Message
Very, true, indeed Wendy

Addicted to the Knit
Becka Always
Go to Top of Page

luv2knit944
Permanent Resident

USA
1789 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2005 :  04:41:04 AM  Show Profile Send luv2knit944 a Private Message
Thank You Jayme.
Some of us get attacked and so hurt.We all should be able to say what we want about things without attacking anybody.We all feel different and we're here to help one another in a loving way.I'm not just talking about the forum.I'm talking about the world.We need to LOVE one another.That's what it's all about.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2005 :  04:56:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Try reading the posts with a smile on your face.

Seriously.

I think we inject our own tone into things, and think people are being nasty when they aren't. If someone says "this is my opinion" that is not being nasty. It's just expressing an opinion.

But if you've just gotten into a fight with your SO, or had a bad meeting at work, or got a flat tire, or just didn't have so great a day, you might read "this is my way and anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong"

I think that's a lot of what's happening here. There've been several instances where I've read something recently and thought nothing of it, only to a few posts down the page have someone claim others are being unkind.

By hypothetical example, when I posted I was looking for stole-shaped shawls, I said "I prefer this shape" That doesn't mean "anyone who prefers triangles should be shot, and all those patterns should be burnt at sea." I meant "I prefer this shape" (And I've already said this is hypothetical, I'm not saying anyone suggested I threatened death and destruction)

There is no tone or expression on the internet. All we can do is take words for their face value, and not inject personal judgements or insults, whether or not we're doing it consciously.

Yes, I've been here since nearly the beginning, and two things are going to happen. It's either going to get a little snippier, and someone's going to leave in a huff, at which point more snipping will occur about that person's departure, then we'll all settle down... or we'll all just settle down on our own. This thing is far bigger than any of us, and it takes on it's own little cyclic life sometimes.

But reading posts with a smile on your face could work wonders.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

becka always
Permanent Resident

USA
1959 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2005 :  05:51:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit becka always's Homepage Send becka always a Private Message
What a smart and kind hearted group of girls posting on this thread

Addicted to the Knit
Becka Always
Go to Top of Page

highdesertrose
Gabber Extraordinaire

Malta
544 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2005 :  10:29:22 AM  Show Profile Send highdesertrose a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by highdesertrose

quote:
Originally posted by RoseByAny

Try reading the posts with a smile on your face.

Seriously.

I think we inject our own tone into things, and think people are being nasty when they aren't. If someone says "this is my opinion" that is not being nasty. It's just expressing an opinion.

By hypothetical example, when I posted I was looking for stole-shaped shawls, I said "I prefer this shape" That doesn't mean "anyone who prefers triangles should be shot, and all those patterns should be burnt at sea." I meant "I prefer this shape" (And I've already said this is hypothetical, I'm not saying anyone suggested I threatened death and destruction)

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com

Thanks, Rose, for the good laugh this morning[:00]

~~justine~~

~~justine~~
Go to Top of Page

knitabit33
Seriously Hooked

742 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2005 :  11:47:09 AM  Show Profile Send knitabit33 a Private Message
While we are on the topic may I have a moment to point out that while
I find this forum informative and refreshing, I have come to notice
that some posters think that the more they post, the more important they become vis-a-vis STARS. It is great for your personal egos, but
a big annoyance to those of us who DO HAVE A LIFE OTHER THAN KNITTING
to have to read thru pages of "hi- congrats- etc" inorder to get
the meaningful info. To those who fall in this race for the stars,I apologize if I have offended you. But, really," Its not how much you
write, but what you write."

I greatly enjoy this forum, but I work full time and am finding it harder
to cull/read through threads without losing my interest/patience.

To that end I would like to suggest to CLARA to set up a section
for those who want to gab and post to get their stars and somehow
notate topics of knitting/spinning etc versus idle gab.

thks
karen
Go to Top of Page

Janknit
Chatty Knitter

324 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  7:20:10 PM  Show Profile Send Janknit a Private Message
Karen, I agree 100% with you. There's no need to add a post to a topic that just re-states what's already been said, just for the sake of posting. I also noticed that some longtime members (and some not so longtimers, too) seem to feel as if they need to "police" a topic and sharply dismiss people who may not have the same experience in a particular area. We also should try to write posts as if we were face to face with each other, in a pleasant, non-accusatory manner, and remember that it's not our "right" as members of the forum to question others opinions just because they haven't been around as long or may post something that we don't necessarily with.
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  10:29:27 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
But Karen....Jan....that's how KR is set up. There are areas for idle chit chat and off topic and there are areas that are specifically for spinning, crochet, techniques, problems with patterns, etc etc. And as far as posts restating what's already been said, sometimes two people are typing their response at the same time and saying the same thing. No way to avoid that. And if a topic is several pages long, someone may feel they have something to say, but not want to wade through 6 pages to see if someone else said the same thing.

Personally, I've been on boards, mail lists, groups, etc, that were much worse than the few flare ups that have occured here! This is an extremely calm group --except for religion and politics and everyone knows that those are topics that just ask for debate. As has been said, if you don't like the tone or the topic, don't read it.

And Amie is sooooo right about how our own personal feelings as we are reading a post can color how it appears to us, when the poster meant no harm at all. Without the inflection of our voices, posts can easily be mistaken!

chris (now how many stars do I have????)

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  04:56:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
wait there was yet another snippy fight?
I miss everything......
vi
~who is sooooooo out of the loop

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  11:35:16 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
vi....you are rotten to the core. I guess that's why I love you!
chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

knitabit33
Seriously Hooked

742 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  11:41:57 AM  Show Profile Send knitabit33 a Private Message
TIME OUT My post was from 60 days ago under different times. Have no idea what snippy things are going on. I love a good debate, but count me out of this. I have a heavy work week ahead.
Thks

Karen

Ps I know Clara has sections for family business politics etc.
What I was suggesting was a totally new section called "IDLE GABBING"
similar to what knitty.com has for thos who want to talk about the
weather, their hair, or whatever.

Back to work on preping for my meetings this week.
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  2:15:02 PM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by knitabit33

Ps I know Clara has sections for family business politics etc.
What I was suggesting was a totally new section called "IDLE GABBING"
similar to what knitty.com has for thos who want to talk about the
weather, their hair, or whatever.
But that is what the various OT sections are used for. They may not be labeled like that specifically, but in practice, most of us put any sort of miscellaneous, non-knitting chatter down there, especially in the "personal" OT section. I don't think KR would be the same without them. Depending on my mood, some days I start reading at the top of the page, some days I start at the bottom of the page. And I like it that way.

Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it. -Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4387 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  2:25:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
I do that too, Rachel, and I like being able to chit-chat, rant, question, etc. down at the bottom of the page! I don't know what I'd have done with all my anger and sorrow this past week if it weren't for those OT sections, and I've never felt closer to my KR friends than I do now.

Jane

Blog: Not Plain Jane
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  3:17:13 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
I think KR has become, for most of us, what the front porch was for my mother, grandmother and their friends...a place to work on needlework projects, to gossip, to cry, to work out problems with their friends, to vent their anger and express themselves in a way not possible in other areas of their lives.

I love being part of a community where I'm not expected to be some flat, two-dimensional character who has to be perfect all the time.

Everyone keeps saying how we are a family here at KR... and can't we all just get along? I don't know a family that doesn't have it's ups and downs, it's clowns and it's somber types, it's nay sayers and it's optimists, it's sad and it's happy members. I've also NEVER seen a real person who hasn't needed to vent their anger and frustration occasionally. Hey, that's real life and this forum is just a reflection of that.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  3:45:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
most good forums are like that......
they have folks that talk and chatter and laugh, it is a community although on line.....
me, I am part of the comic relief.....
while I have been knitting forever and I do teach knitting now....
I let the other folks answer the tech stuff, as they do it much better then I do in print.
so I am just part of the comic relief....
yup thats me
vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ScubaQueen
Seriously Hooked

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  5:00:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit ScubaQueen's Homepage Send ScubaQueen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by azknitter

I think KR has become, for most of us, what the front porch was for my mother, grandmother and their friends...a place to work on needlework projects, to gossip, to cry, to work out problems with their friends, to vent their anger and express themselves in a way not possible in other areas of their lives.

Trish...
I think you said it best! I may be a fairly new member to this forum....but I'm definitely an old hag in the forum world. I hate the forums where trolls abound....I LOVE LOVE LOVE this forum for these 4 reasons:

1) It's a community of posters made up of knitters (YOU ARE ALL THE BEST!!!)

2) Advice ABOUNDS....I can't even BEGIN to list the things I've learned right here...from you all....my mother is AMAZED at how good my knitting has become....PSST...only because of all the things I've learned here!

3) It has many OFF-TOPIC...ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK (or peril as it may be sometimes) rooms(threads) ....which no one has to read if they don't want....

4) Clara...Clara...Clara...I love our Queen Bee...she KNOWS we are all adults and can handle ourselves...she offers us a place to be who WE ARE....INDIVIDUALS...WITH OPINIONS...and A COMMON BOND! I suspect this is the reason this place is the #1 place to be! On occasion she locks a thread down.....much to her credit...she knows when to do it...and when not to....THANK YOU CLARA!!!

Now...with all that being said...I'm one who has had "a dog in the fight" on occasion (what can I say...I'm a stubborn poo-poo head sometimes)....but even so...I respect YOU ALL...and relate to YOU ALL...even those, who at times, I butt heads with!

I don't think we should change a thing....except maybe to add a pissed off RIBBIT..RIBBIT frog smilie to the frey! (let the rock throwing begin)

I enjoy all of you...and the company you offer!

THANK YOU!!!

~Wendy

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "WOW...WHAT A RIDE!!!"

My blog and other such nonsense... 2 Wet Fins
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.