Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Dream LYS
 What not to do in a shop!!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MariaKatharina
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2005 :  12:28:54 PM  Show Profile Send MariaKatharina a Private Message
I have just had a nightmare experience at Skein Lane in El Cerrito. They had three skeins of yarns tied together hanging on a rack - I would have liked to have one of those (November 2004!!!). I politely asked if I could purchase just that one. "No, we can't untie those and sell one skein independently." O.k., fine, the options are?. "We can special order it for you and call you; they expected me to pay at least half down." Discussed, done. X-mas came, no calls - so I called - "no, not here yet." February came, I called - "no, not here yet." April came and June, and now it is July. I finally had it and went in to get my money back -- needless to say that the three skeins are still hanging there!. They can't find any payment in their records and therefore insist that I can't get my money back. Now everyone I know around here does not like the shop because it is a very unorganized and cluttered yarn shop. It is the second worst I've seen in 30 years of knitting and traveling the U.S. and Europe. Should probably have figured that the bookkeeping is at least that bad. NEVER GOING BACK THERE -- and letting everyone know. Save yourself the agony with that outfit!!! Disgruntled in CA

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2005 :  12:39:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Oh my! I always put receipts from things like downpayments in a separate part of my purse, so it's less likely to get tossed with random grocery slips and that sort of thing. It might have helped you here.

But that sounds like a dreadful situation - I'm sorry for you!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2005 :  2:05:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
Do you have a cancelled check or credit card statement so that you can prove that your deposit was made? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Dee
~Licensed2Knit
www.Kneatles.com
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2005 :  3:11:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
This is so stupid, I can't even think of a comment. That LYSO is an idiot.

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

highdesertrose
Gabber Extraordinaire

Malta
544 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2005 :  3:17:30 PM  Show Profile Send highdesertrose a Private Message
Yikes, what an awful story.

Should we ask what the WORST one was?

~~justine~~
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2005 :  5:31:50 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
Wow.....I wonder how she stays in business???

Trish
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2005 :  6:44:12 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I wonder if the manufacturer/distributor knows about the LYS not being able to untie them for individual sale? I'd send them an email or phone call to ask about that crazy policy. If you can somehow prove that you paid for the yarn, I suggest you have them pay you interest as they had use of your cash for 8 months.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2005 :  7:33:05 PM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
I don't understand why they would'nt break it up for you. Collinette, Manos and many others tie ten hanks together as most yarns are sold in ten skein,hank bags.They are meant to be untied and sold separately if not using all ten for a project. You sell one ball from a bag-why not one hank? No wonder they are still sitting with three-not too much to make with three hanks. KL
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  05:03:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
Wow, with business practices like that, they don't deserve to be in business. Not untying a group of hanks is bad enough but to lose your deposit is just downright uncalled for.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

kekokat
Seriously Hooked

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  12:17:17 PM  Show Profile Send kekokat a Private Message
Geez, I've been to that store and had no problem. Sorry you had such rotten luck.
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  06:11:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
Do you recall which person took your money? Did you see them write it down in a certain spot?

I hope you can find the receipt, check, or CC statement! But don't take no for an answer, go in once a week and ask if they have found their record of your deposit yet, and if your yarn has come in yet as it was supposed to be ordered last year. Good luck!

The Irish Ewe yarn shop
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

griffsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

457 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  2:07:08 PM  Show Profile Send griffsmom a Private Message
What a ridiculous policy. Unless the three hanks were on hold for someone (which it doesn't sound like they were), why couldn't they have just untied one of the hanks, given it to you and then reordered another hank to replace the one they gave you, rather than make YOU wait 8 months!!! Guess I know where I won't be going for yarn....good luck. I hope you're able to get your money back!

*~*Lori*~*

"Measure wealth, not by the things you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money." ~ Unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe