Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 your wools - keeping them safe?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yarn Delirious
Seriously Hooked

USA
777 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2005 :  1:41:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yarn Delirious's Homepage Send Yarn Delirious a Private Message
hi all,
how do you store your wools? Do you keep them separate from other fibers?

I haven't had any bugs bother my wools, but they are in a Cedar chest (stinky)[**].

I just received some of the Malabrigo today, so need to set them aside for a while.

This humidity and heat is keeping me from much knitting anyway.

Shel

http://yarndelirious.blogspot.com/

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2005 :  3:10:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
There has been much discussion on this topic in the forums. According to experts that I trust (agricultural scientists), moths like dark and dirt. It is an urban myth that cedar or lavendar will repel moths. What repels moths is storing wool very clean in bright light, not in the back of a closet or a dark plastic container.

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

blazfglori
Permanent Resident

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2005 :  7:10:07 PM  Show Profile Send blazfglori a Private Message
I store all my stash (wool or wool blends) in sealed clear Rubbermaid totes.

No problems with insects or smells. ;)

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  07:02:34 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lissa

What repels moths is storing wool very clean in bright light, not in the back of a closet or a dark plastic container.

Lissa

If you keep your wools in bright sunlight you can expect the colors to fade from exposure to UV.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  07:25:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
I didn't say sunlite. Incandescent light is fine. Just don't tuck them into opaque containers and/or into the back of your closet.

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Go to Top of Page

Yarn Delirious
Seriously Hooked

USA
777 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  08:35:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yarn Delirious's Homepage Send Yarn Delirious a Private Message
Ok, great! Thanks for the feedback.

Looks like I'll be heading to Target later this week.

Shel
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  08:38:36 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
Incandescent lights give off UV as well. From Westinghouse's website:

Will incandescent light bulbs fade colors?
Incandescent and halogen light bulbs can fade colors if they are very close to the light source. To reduce the likelihood of fading, you can use a UV filter or UV safe halogen product, reduce the wattage of the light bulb or move the light further away.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

sylver
New Pal

36 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  09:50:29 AM  Show Profile Send sylver a Private Message
I store all my yarns in purple clear plastic crates, on a shelving system in my craft area. I haven't had a problem with creepy and flying critters in my yarn.

--
My blog, Blissfully Crafty, can be found here:
http://craftblog.sylly.net/
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  10:36:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Jade, it's totally unnecessary to go to such extremes in normal room lighting. Just leave the items in a room that's usually lit. No need to shine intense light on them from an inch away.

Lissa

Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  5:00:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message
I just use zip loc bags for all of my yarn and projects.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

Amyknits
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  04:44:42 AM  Show Profile Send Amyknits a Private Message
One of the best methods of keeping moths out of your yarn is never introducing a new yarn without putting it in the freezer for several weeks first. For example: If I go to the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival and purchase yarn, I bring it home and stick it in the freezer for 3 weeks. That kills the moths that might be there. I take it out for a week, give the larvae a chance to hatch and stick it back in the freezer for week. I then store my yarn in plastic containers in a cedar closet. I never put a new yarn from a store or that I spun without doing the freezer treatment. I unfortunately learned the hard way. And never trust a yarn source to be free of bugs! If you store roving and unspun wool, make sure it is clean. Moths like dirty in the grease fleeces the best. I also tend to grab a plastic tub and put it into the freezer occasionally rotating the stash thru the cycle. I of course only use my freezer for yarn, who needs food to cook!!! Good Luck
Go to Top of Page

Two Sticks and a String
Permanent Resident

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  05:18:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Two Sticks and a String's Homepage Send Two Sticks and a String a Private Message
Amy....

My husband will really think that I flipped. I can just see his head shaking as he opens the freezer.

I currently keep my palette of oil/alkyd paints in the freezer...the palette will last indefinitely and it is really great when I have mixed a bunch of colors. So, I don't have to remix the palette between sittings. I also store my brushes that have polyurathane on it... wrap them in foil and place in a baggy.

All of that he is used to...

Now... I will start keeping wool there...

He'll be throwing up his hands in surrender!

Dorene

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away." -Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  06:47:51 AM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message
Lissa,
Don't tell my sister that lavender doesn't repel moths. She makes sachets for my wool and I've been bugging ;-) her to make me some more.
Debra
Go to Top of Page

ronsfavoritewife
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  1:21:22 PM  Show Profile Send ronsfavoritewife a Private Message
i would need a walk in freezer to hold the 30+ bins of yarn..
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  1:38:17 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I keep my yarn(wool, cotton, any and all fibres) in my armoire or in the closet, often just right on the bare shelf, sometimes in a box. I have never had prbolems with creepy crawlies.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  2:26:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
I keep mine in plastic bins (closed) on shelves in a large hall closet. It now shares a home with the overflow from my bf's wine collection (not that one is keeing the other safe). I have never noticed creepy crawlies, but I do use moth balls, cedar balls, and pot pourri.

celia

My blog is here:
http://celiaknits.blogspot.com
I am destashing here:
http://celias-basket.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

bogrady
Warming Up

Canada
68 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  07:52:47 AM  Show Profile Send bogrady a Private Message
So, the freezer can also be one of those wonderful stash hide-aways .... hmmm. I've heard of people hiding yarn in some strange places but this one is functional as well as ingenious. Too bad I really, really need to defrost my freezer - and in the middle of a summer heat wave too.

Bev
Go to Top of Page

pamulla@earthlink.net
Chatty Knitter

100 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  08:29:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit pamulla@earthlink.net's Homepage Send pamulla@earthlink.net a Private Message
Help! I keep my wool in baskets on bookshelves in my study. I have new windows, but in the recent past I had old ones with not very secure screens. I am seeing little specks on the shelves under the baskets. Am I infested? What should I do? I have a big stash! with some good bargains
Do I really have to freeze the wool for 3 weeks? That could take the rest of my life and all of my freezer space. Can't I spray something? Or spray the baskets?

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  12:32:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Well, Debra, at least your stuff smells good!

Everyone else: this time of year, put your wool in a black plastic bag and leave it in the sun for a couple of days. It will kill the creepies much faster than the several-weeks-of-alternating-freezing-and-thawing method.

Lissa

Go to Top of Page

Boondoggled
Chatty Knitter

USA
305 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  3:13:53 PM  Show Profile Send Boondoggled a Private Message
Ugh...I just pulled out some coats and hats, which hadn't been out in two years. Moth nibbles. Now, things I've cleaned and stored in the same closet seem fine. My stash isn't huge(and is not stored in this closet), but it would be sad to lose any of it. And I don't have the freezer space to treat my yarn.

Should I be freaking out?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?