Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting on the Web
 Blog Talk
 Suggestions for a digital camera
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1350 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2005 :  11:55:13 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
...oh, and it uses AA batteries and has a really long battery life according to Consumer reports (I don't buy anything big with out checking consumer reports first)
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2005 :  12:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
I have a canon A 70 and I adore it
before this......
I hated to take pictures
now I love to take pictures.......
all the pictures you folks see are taken with that camera
I resize in paintshop and post them to photobucket

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knitlethab
Seriously Hooked

Canada
604 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2005 :  8:33:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitlethab's Homepage Send knitlethab a Private Message
I love my digital. I got tired of developing pictures from my Olympus which is an extremely good camera. But I bought a Kodak DX4330...couple years ago, old model. Mine is a 3.1 mpixel. Had a loading dock which is great for recharging. Had to buy a recharging battery, something the salesperson forgot to mention. I now carry an extra battery in my purse. Anyone can pick up the camera and use it, it is so easy. I bought it mainly because it is small and goes in my purse everywhere I go. I'm always taking pictures of knitting pieces, etc. (even sometimes people,lol) The disk slips into my PC laptop or my husbands Mac...very versatile. Had to buy a extra disks. My husbands always buying electronics, so now I have a 512 disk, a 128 and 256.
Oh yes, the camera has a video capacity..I think 1 or 2 minutes.

The photos on my web, my camera was used.

Sharon

www.knittingtime.com
Go to Top of Page

petrova
Chatty Knitter

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  07:30:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit petrova's Homepage Send petrova a Private Message
Great topic, and useful information. I've had several digital cameras, I love to take pictures but I gave my favorite Canon digital Elph away to my DS. I loved that camera! I used to have a 35 mm Elph and loved that one too. The size the nice metal body and they both took great pictures. So I thought I would just go and buy another well .... Canon put out a new and "improved" Elph and it is a totally different camera! Half the size no manual controls I was hearbroken I want my old camera back. This new small one is too small hard to handle and hold steady it just does not fit in my hand well. My son loves it too and now he lives in North Carolina and I want pictures so I don't have the heart to ask for my beat up old Elph back.

So now I'm shopping and comparing and don't have a camera, I did not realize how much I used it. I took pictures every day. I'm looking at the new Canon PowerShot S2 IS ... but it takes AAA batteries! Do rechargeable AAA batteries work? Has anybody had any experience with a camera that takes regular batteries? I'm scared that it may cost a fortune in batteries. Not to talk about the environment with the throw away kind of battery. I took a look at my local camera store and loved the zoom feature and the speed and just the way it felt in my hand. There is always a but how could Canon put out a great camera and stick regular batteries in it?

By the way I always take a look at the biggest camera store in the area just to physically see and hear what the sales people have to say about it, then I shop for the best prices. In the past the camera store worked with me and matched prices.

Happy Knitting,

ana
Venice Beach, California

http://bananaknits.blogspot.com/
And my favorite charity
http://www.stitchesfromtheheart.org/

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck

Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  08:01:23 AM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message
Yes, the rechargeables are great. I've used several cameras that take AAs or AAAs (my old job was with a company that had tons of them that you could "check out" so I've used many different brands/models). Just make sure you get the NMiH (or something like that) battaries and a rapid charger.
Go to Top of Page

petrova
Chatty Knitter

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  08:59:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit petrova's Homepage Send petrova a Private Message
So that may not be so bad, in case I run out of battery on the road or something aaa's are available all over. What I really want to know is how long do they last? Years ago when I tried the rechargeables they ran out very fast and seemed to be weaker.

Thanks,

ana
Venice Beach, California

Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  09:12:53 AM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message
You know - that really depends on the camara and the battaries. The ones I mentioned will last longer than just regular alkaloids. Also, some cameras just burn through battaries faster than others for various reasons. You can do some research on that if you check out the reviews on www.dpreview.com, which is a fantastic site for digicam reviews. He always includes info on power drain in his reviews. Also, if you fear running low there are ways to conserve engergy - for instance, you'll get far far more time out of the battaries if you turn off your lcd monitor and use the viewfinder instead.
Go to Top of Page

petrova
Chatty Knitter

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  09:20:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit petrova's Homepage Send petrova a Private Message
thank you that helps.
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  10:16:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
I have an Olympus Stylus 400 Digital camera (as well as a regular-film Olympus Stylus), and I have to say, I ADORE this camera! I don't know how pricey it is, as it was given to me as a graduation/moving to California gift from my parents (along with the whole "you're starting a new life, take some pictures to share with us" schpeel), but it takes great pictures AND is fairly weatherproof. The first week I had it, I went to the beach, and (of course) it got dropped into the ocean. After my subsequent heart-attack recovery, I checked it - the only thing wrong with it was a bit of sand in the gears! After carefully cleaning it out, it still works perfectly two years later! I keep a 128mb card in it, and have never run out of space. The battery is a lithium rechargeable as well. It is very easy to use and it takes amazingly clear, good quality pics. All the pics on my blog/FO gallery were taken with it.

FO: scalloped baby blanket, "Cleo" halter top, Winter Night Afghan #1(Blue/Cream), Booga Bag, Multidirectional Diagonal Scarf
WIPs: Knitted Stripes Afghan, Winter Night Afghan #2 (Emerald/Tan), Rainy Day Scarf, Easy Mittens
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

petrova
Chatty Knitter

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  10:56:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit petrova's Homepage Send petrova a Private Message
I confess my motivation of giving my camera to my son was the "take some pictures to share with us schpeel" and he has! Yeah! But it's funny that you mention weatherproof, I also have a little Minolta Dimage x it is tiny and about 2 days after I got it I accidentally dropped in in my dishpan...don't ask...after my heart attack ... it did cost over 300 dollars at Costco. I took it and "blew it dry" with my hair dryer!

It worked and it's been operating just like new ever since. Nobody was the wiser, I don't share that story with too many....My DH uses that one, it's small and it fits in his shirt pocket. I think I am at peace now with the battery issue, there is new technology and I love the other features of the camera. Now I have to wait till it arrives. By the way I got it online at Amazon,com and it was almost 100 cheaper than my local camera store. That was too much money so they would not match the price, I had to buy it online and now I wait for the UPS man to come.

ana
Go to Top of Page

toucanknit1
Warming Up

75 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  5:18:15 PM  Show Profile Send toucanknit1 a Private Message
I purchased a Canon S1 IS three weeks ago to take on our vacation to LA and Las Vegas. It arrived two days before we left on vacation. The manual was very easy to understand and I had the camera settings
(picture resolution etc) set in about 1/2 hour.

I went to a nearby lake and took about 50 photos just to test it out. They all turned out acceptable (I am not known as the best photographer). We got back from vacation on Monday and plugged the camera into the TV...the camera took awesome pictures, even with me behind the lens. Other than a camera bag, the only other investment I made was in a 1 gigabyte compact flash card, and a battery charger/batteries (Energizer brand).

I took 400 pictures, and even the pictures of the desert & mountains I took through the closed van window were good. The camera has 10X optical zoom and image stabilization. It is the predecessor to the Canon S2 IS...and much more affordable. I checked Consumer Reports, cnet.com, epinions.com and Steves Digicams online before purchasing. I paid $299, but have since seen it for as low as $239.

Go to Top of Page

toucanknit1
Warming Up

75 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  5:24:59 PM  Show Profile Send toucanknit1 a Private Message
Addendum to previous post. The Energizer batteries are 2500 mAh NiMH. I only used one set (the camera takes 4-AA batteries at a time), but had an extra set charged just in case I needed them. The disposable batteries that came with the camera lasted through the first 50 photos I took, plus all of the setup of the camera and then quit. I highly recommend rechargeables...just make sure you get the highest capacity batteries. They may cost a bit more, but over the estimated 1000 charges per battery the extra cost is negligible.
Go to Top of Page

petrova
Chatty Knitter

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2005 :  7:14:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit petrova's Homepage Send petrova a Private Message
toucanknit1, thanks for sharing that about the batteries. I was worried and now I feel better. I'm really excited about getting it in the mail. I better go and get the battery charger and batteries.

Do I understand it right? You took 400 pictures with one set of batteries? That's much better than any of my previous digital proprietary battery operated cameras. When I get the camera I'll post my results.

ana
Go to Top of Page

petrova
Chatty Knitter

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  8:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit petrova's Homepage Send petrova a Private Message
I got my camera a Canon S2 is with an unbelieveable zoom 12x with the digital it becomes 48x. The size is just right for me I wanted to get away from the tiny little camera and this one is just a bit bigger with lots of features. It was easy to set up attaching the strap took me longer than to set up the date and figure out how to take a picture. So far the pictures are great and the batteries it came with lasted all day. Test zooms test pictures setting up etc. and the battery was fine. Probably took over 100 or maybe more pictures.

I will be buying the rechargeable batteries and I'm good to go. I'm a happy camper. Thanks for all the help.
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  12:42:40 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by lemons

What I'm looking for is one that I can also use to take pictures of food in restaurants. I know the Olympus Stylus 500 has a "cuisine" setting, but I was hoping to find something less expensive.

What special features do you need to photo food? I have an entry on my blog about my 50th b'day dinner, complete with pics which I thought came out pretty well.

I went through this exercise about 6 months ago. I got some good advice, but still didn't know what camera I wanted/needed, so I finally decided to go to a store I trusted, and throw myself on their mercy. I'm happy with the results.

I think one of the most important features, if you want to get good stitch detail, is an optical zoom rather than digital. If someone hadn't told me about it, I wouldn't have realized. There's an article about it here. Good luck with your search, and I can't wait to see some photos.

Barbara
It's a feature, not a bug.

Photos:
Blog:
Fran's Site:

Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  07:00:54 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
About the "cuisine" mode: Apparently it cuts back on the flash, among other things. I ended up Googling for it, and found other Olympi, a number of Pentaxes and a couple of other models with similar features. So I'm narrowing it down.

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page

toucanknit1
Warming Up

75 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  03:15:17 AM  Show Profile Send toucanknit1 a Private Message
Petrova, I apologize for the vague post about the batteries...yes I took about 400 pictures...but I didn't use the features that use up battery power much...zoom, flash, LCD, or reviewing the photos...I just snapped away. My husband says he thinks he remembers changing the batteries towards the end of our trip..which would have been at about 300 photos...so again, I apologize. But I still think 300 is a good number of photos on one charge. I uploaded my photos to Photoworks and ordered prints as my portable photo printer "died" on our trip. I will post again when the photos are delivered to update on photo quality.
Go to Top of Page

crzyang
Warming Up

90 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  08:39:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit crzyang's Homepage Send crzyang a Private Message
Cannon A80 for me!!!!
Love it. Love it! Love it!
Definiatenly recommend rechargable batteries and a huge memory card.
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  09:29:35 AM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
We have Sonys. Our first was a small P-1, then DH wanted something more sophisticated so bought a 717. He gave me a P-10 for Christmas, then a V-3 this past birthday. One of the reasons we have stuck with Sony is that both our computers are by Sony and have a slot for a memory stick. You just remove the stick from the camera, insert it in the slot, and there are your photos - no reader, no hooking up the camera to a USB port. Very simple. I also second the idea of Adobe Photoshop for editing. All the pictures in Smugmug were taken with these cameras (there are several folders besides my sweaters). You can see the broad range of pictures there.
Dicksie

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635
Go to Top of Page

ikate
Warming Up

61 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  2:50:58 PM  Show Profile Send ikate a Private Message
I have Fuji FinePix (not sure what model #...have had it for about 3 years) for personal use and my work just bought a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S90...very differnt cameras but both very good.

My 2 cents - first, the best digital camera is the one you are comfortable using and taking with you. The only downfall of my Fuji, which I love, is the size makes it sometimes hard to take with me everywhere. The Sony is pocket sized and I can see that being a huge advantage. The best camera is the one you have with you to capture "the" shot.

Second, I echo the previous advice in optical zoom - buy the the most you can afford as it will have a big effect on the quality of your shots. I also echo the need for a great macro and super macro setting, esp. if you plan to use this camera for your knitting (show off your stitches!!) and gardens.

Third, I highly advocate buying on line but check out the models in local stores first (why? buying line almost always is cheaper, better retun policies, etc. Also, the kids working in the stores are mostly comission based and will push things you don't need). But, take the time to feel the camera - does it fit in your hand? Is it too heavy? What's the clarity of the LCD screen? Some cameras look good in pix but don't feel balanced in the hand. Just buy from a tried-and-true place like the places mentioned - I like www.bhphotovideo.com so you don't end up with a grey-market camera. If the price seems too good to be true - it is!

Fourth, make sure you have software to edit and store the pix that you are comfortable using...OR that you have a nearby store that can help you with this. Many drugstores have very helpful photo staff now that can help you get the most out of your digital images if you aren't comforatable doing it yourself. I myself use iPhoto on my Mac (free with the OS and think it's the best and easiest program out there).

Finally, I think rechargeable batteries are the way to go. They are inexpensive, mine last for about 300 flash photos and if they ever run out you can use easy to find regular old batteries from any store in a pinch. Try that with a speciality battery!

Pix from my Fuji are posted here:http://homepage.mac.com/ikram/PhotoAlbum42.html

iKate
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.