Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Recipe Swap
 BERRY/MANDARIN TOSSED SALAD
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2005 :  07:20:01 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
This salad is by far my family's Summertime favorite-perfect for entertaining also.
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbl cider vinegar
2 Tbl honey
1 1/4tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp paprika,gr. mustard,dry grated onion
1/4 tsp celery seed
dash of salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
8 cups torn mixed salad greens-I use baby greens
2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1 can[11 oz.] mandarin oranges, drained
1 medium sweet onion, sliced into rings
1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
4 baconstrips- cooked and crumbled- you can eliminate if you wish, but I feel that it does add to the flavor.
In a microwave bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Microwave, uncovered on high 1 1/2 min. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Whisk in oil. Cover and refrigerate until serving. IOn a salad bowl, combine the greens, strawberries, oranges, onion, almonds and bacon. Drizzle with dressing and toss to just coat. Absolutely yummy!

I have substituted sliced green grapes for the strawberries when they get too pricy. KL

cableready
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2005 :  08:40:59 AM  Show Profile Send cableready a Private Message
KL,

This recipe sound delicious. Perfect for this warm weather we are having here in the Northeast. I wonder if you could substitute blueberries? They are out locally now - and I plan on getting extra for the blueberry bread recipe posted here.

Pamela
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2005 :  08:47:34 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Pamela- My DD just moved to Syracuse from So. Cal and posed the same question over the weekend. We decided it was definately worth the effort. We also thought rasberries could work. I so envy the N.E. and their blueberry season. Out here, they are a bargain at $2.99 for a small container-We are gobbling them as fast as we can before they go to $5.99. I'd definately try substuting anything that sounds good to you. I think the secret is in the dressing. Enjoy! KL
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2005 :  11:09:23 AM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
I love fruit salads and this ones sounds really good.

I will try it!

Trish
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  07:08:20 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Trish- I was thinking last nite- I wonder what the salad would be like with tiny chopped bits of wonderful AZ. dates thrown in. I sure loved all the date stands when I lived in Scottsdale years ago. I suppose they have disappeared tho due to all the development out there. Let me know how you liked the salad. KL
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  12:10:06 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
Karen, I find dates widely available in Phoenix and Scottsdale...but, I don't know if they're actually grown here. It makes sense that they would be, but a google search didn't turn up any information about local growers.

I love dates so, maybe I'll buy a tub of the softest ones I can find and chop a few to toss in the salad when I try it this weekend.

I also love banana/date shakes...this will be a good excuse to make one of my old favorites from the Indio Date festival in California.

...Yikes, I can feel the lbs. creeping up on me just thinking about it!

Trish
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  07:04:58 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Trish- there is an area of Phoenix on either Lincoln or CamelBack[I don't remember which] that is thick with date groves. The area has been developed now but the old groves still stand. It was abundant with Queen Date Palms. There used to be roadside stands along there also that sold those delicious date shakes. Yum! KL
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  4:20:49 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
Well Karen, DH and I had a HUGE bowl each of your salad Saturday...which was perfect since it was bone-melting hot and I was not in the mood to cook.

It was lip-smacking yummy with the sweet/sour dressing and at DH's request, I added a sliced avocado which goes perfectly with all the other ingredients.

Thanks for the recipe...a definite keeper! Now, if I could just find those date groves.....

Trish
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2005 :  06:08:59 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Trish- I'm so glad you liked it! I think I'll try the avacado next time as my DH loves them also. KL
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe