Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Forum Feedback and Suggestion Box
 Can we spam spammers?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1350 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  08:24:14 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
Do any of you ever get an overwhelming urge to spam the spammers? I want to send them email with text like "spam spam spam spam spam ..."

Jayme

ChristinaP
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  09:53:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit ChristinaP's Homepage Send ChristinaP a Private Message
maybe with a sound recording of the Monty Python skit?

In Maryland
Blog: http://christinasknitting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  10:07:29 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
waste of time. Most spam is sent out by automated "bots" - no live person behind it.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4403 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  10:13:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
And they often spoof someone else's email address, so we can't even hit them directly.

BOY are those spammers annoying me today. Vi insists it's because of the full moon, and I suspect she's right. Either that or we have an overabundance of idiots out there in the world, which is also possible. Remotely possible, but possible nonetheless.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  10:25:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message
the other problem with spamming spammers is that then they can "harvest" your email address and send it to other spammers....

my only hope is that "what goes around, comes around" and they get payback for all the annoyance they hand out. Like maybe they always get stuck in the 20-items-or-less grocery lanes behind someone who has 35 items. Or always get the "middle" seat on long-haul airplane flights...
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  10:26:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Karma.

I hope all their yarn catches on fire.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  10:27:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message
I prefer to think that spammers don't even get to HAVE yarn in the first place.
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  10:28:43 AM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
Rose, !! I second that!

Mari
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  10:50:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
it's the full moon
everyone is a bit off

I have two cousins that are cops
they say that the day before.......the night of and the day after are the worst days of the month for them

ALL the nuts are out they tell the family

I know it also affects me a bit

but then I am a bit 'batty' to begin with

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

luv2knit944
Permanent Resident

USA
1789 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  11:40:31 AM  Show Profile Send luv2knit944 a Private Message
They don't have time for yarn.They're e-mailing junk all day.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

sylver
New Pal

36 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  5:32:38 PM  Show Profile Send sylver a Private Message
there was this once: http://makelovenotspam.com/intl

it felt so good to do something to them, finally :)

--
My blog, Blissfully Crafty, can be found here:
http://craftblog.sylly.net/
Go to Top of Page

homebodyknits
Seriously Hooked

USA
713 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  02:14:14 AM  Show Profile Send homebodyknits a Private Message
Spam to me is like getting all those annoying unwanted phone calls. I ended up getting caller ID just so I wouldn't feel guilty about not answering the phone! I've thought of answering and then blowing a whistle in their ear. I'm not sure how to annoy spammers though.

Homebody Knits

Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  02:57:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
use filters on the email
a LOT of filters
start with the obvious ones.....
XXX,
and the more graphic slang names for body parts
don't even let them download from the server........have them deleted from server.
and keep a web email for use with WEB sites.....
you know......( sign up for our newsletter)
and another web based email for yahoo or egroup emails.
keep your home email for just friends, family etc.......
I don't get all that much spam at my home email
just at the web based ones and even there it isn't too bad......
also

NEVAH ****

open spam

vi

**** Jersey for 'when hell freezes over and pigs fly'

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1350 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  06:46:56 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
I guess I didn't clarify that I meant the forum spammers that attacked yesterday (GRR!). I hate email spam too but I don't have many problems with that. I have a seperate email account for anything I want to sign up for online. I check it about once a week so I don't have to deal with it daily, or sort between spam and important emails.

Jayme
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3460 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  09:15:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message
Margie, that is just AWESOME! I've been opting-out of credit-card offers and catalogs but for everything else, I think that your option is priceless :)

--Minh
Go to Top of Page

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  2:47:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message
I've done similarly, but instead of just mailing junk mail back, I write a nice letter listing my home address and asking them to kindly take me off their mailing list.

It worked really well for a while and then I got too busy to keep up with it. (Now, I just shred and recycle...)
Go to Top of Page

megknits
Sustaining Member

USA
729 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  5:02:36 PM  Show Profile Send megknits a Private Message
My Macintosh at work has a great email spam filter that catches 90 percent of the junk and puts it into a junk folder. The really cool thing is that it also has this special utility that will bounce the junk mail to the sender with a message saying that my address is not valid. I get such a kick out of that (although some of my bounce messages come back to me again).

Meg

There's two sides to everything. One knitter's knit stitch is another knitter's purl.
Go to Top of Page

tribalfyber
Chatty Knitter

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  12:13:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit tribalfyber's Homepage Send tribalfyber a Private Message
i just got a spam at my email address through knitters review forums. i've never had it there before. ack! he wants to pay me 3.5 million to help rescue his fortune stolen by rebels who murdered his father. isn't that one of those scam things? and how do i stop it without dropping out of the forums?
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  3:38:43 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
Tribalfyber, you have to if that's one of those scam things?? That's why scammers do this...because somewhere out there is someone who just might fall for it.

Dropping out of the forums won't help. These spammers skim email addresses from servers all over the world. And some just simple have e-mail address generators that will send email to every address in a domain, such as everyone with an email address that ends in aol.com. It takes little effort to write programs to generate random email addresses and send out bulk emails. It costs absolutely nothing. Just so long as people continue to react in horror to the suggestion that the Internet becoming a fee-based service, we'll have to deal with people who are out there waiting to scam us.

A good spam blocker is worth its weight in gold...

Knitting Olympics--Shawl Knitting Biathlon COMPLETE:
Cozy shawl (started 2/10; done 2/12!!) Leaf Lace shawl (started 2/13; done 2/17!!)
500g Rectangular Shawl Event COMPLETE:
Cathedral Window shawl (started 2/18; done 2/25!!)

My blog: http://maribelaprn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  8:11:12 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message
Before California got the Do Not Call list, I used to do this to phone solicitors: I'd just gently lay the phone down and do the dishes or whatever needed doing. I'd return to either the end of the message {at which point I'd say in a pleasant voice, "No, but thank you." or they would have given up and hung up. Both were equally satisfying to me.

About junk mail: we have paper recycling now so a lot of it never makes it into the house. Before recycling, we'd have fun putting all the Important Claims and Information from Company A into the SASE envelope of Company B. Of course, Company B would receive an overweight envelope full of Company A stuff. Both envelopes would, of course, be over 1 oz so they would have to pay extra money.

As my father used to say, "It doesn't take much to amuse some people." We looked at it as cheap entertainment.

Meg - I,too, love your bouncing program. Yes, too bad it doesn't end up on someone's desk. Literally. Ah well.

Margie
Go to Top of Page

jamesedwinsneed
Chatty Knitter

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  05:51:10 AM  Show Profile Send jamesedwinsneed a Private Message
we had a nightmare one weekend. We discovered we'd been 'hijacked' and the spammer was sending the spam from OUR e-address!!!! Always check your 'sent mail'! We contacted our server and reported it. It made me so mad to have this happen!!!!! We hadn't realised until we got a nasty gram from aol saying we were going to have our subscription terminated due to spamming activities. That's when I looked in our 'sent' box and saw nearly 70 spams we had supposedly sent out! I mean that's insult to injury! I felt 'dirty' afterwards. I sure wish we could get back at these folks!
ARRRRGGHH!!!
Gayle
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.