Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Poll Feedback
 Suggest a poll
 What are your favorite sock yarns?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kitkatknit
Chatty Knitter

184 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  10:32:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit kitkatknit's Homepage Send kitkatknit a Private Message
I'd like your opinions on your favorite sock yarn and rank them. I am new to socks, my first are in Koigu KPPPM and are too yummy. My next pair will probably be in Lorna's Laces, Cherry Tree Hill or Trekking XXL. Please rank your top 5 favorites (and fantasy sock yarns) and tell us why!

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  10:44:21 AM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
Mountain Colors Bearfoot.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  11:42:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message
No contest - my handspun yarns are always my favorites. Doesn't matter whether it's superwash, superwash and nylon, Border Leicester, Shetland, Romney or merino and silk - I'll take my handspun over any of the commerical yarns. That said, I also like to use the Lorna's Laces and Cherry Tree Hill sock yarns when I don't have time to spin!

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

MissPooh
Angel

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  2:06:32 PM  Show Profile Send MissPooh a Private Message
Scheepjes has some great patterning and colors in the Invicta yarns.

Mary Lou

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Irish350
Chatty Knitter

USA
321 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  05:45:02 AM  Show Profile Send Irish350 a Private Message
I am a Mountain Colors "Bearfoot" fan too. It is my favorite yarn to date.

Maureen
http://irishknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

umbaba
Seriously Hooked

USA
693 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  10:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit umbaba's Homepage Send umbaba a Private Message
I like Opal and the stuff from Skacel, Lorna's Laces and I also like Limbo for socks even though it is not a "sock yarn".

...as soon as I finish this row

www.abundantyarn.com
Go to Top of Page

kitkatknit
Chatty Knitter

184 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  08:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit kitkatknit's Homepage Send kitkatknit a Private Message
My LYS got in some Mountain Colors Bearfoot. So disgregard what I said about what my next socks will be knit from!!! I love that little bit of Mohair in the Bearfoot. I've now bought yarn for my next project while still working on my current one. Something tells me this is where the concept of stash starts....

http://spaces.msn.com/members/joyofspin/

Go to Top of Page

knitloon
Gabber Extraordinaire

524 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  09:18:23 AM  Show Profile Send knitloon a Private Message
I like Brown Sheep's Wildfoote, and for a slightly heavier sock, Louet Gems Opal. Sounds like I need to try Bearfoot. Any opinions on Knitpicks sock yarns?
Go to Top of Page

Maybird
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  09:43:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maybird's Homepage Send Maybird a Private Message
I've only ever used Regia (it's all I have found here in London). But I like it, and the people who I have given socks to like it.
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  11:00:40 AM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
Yes, that is how stashing begins!

1. Bearfoot because those who have socks out of this yarn KNOW why.

2. Cherry Tree Hill, gorgeous and soft with pretty, muted colors.

3. My husband prefers his done in Wildfoote

4. Lang's Fantomas for a thicker, comfy winter sock without going into a worsted weight.

5. Jawoll because it has that cute little spool inside the skein. Regia because it washes and wears so well. Anne by Schaefer because of the interesting colorways and it has merino in it and that is one of my favorite fibers. Opal because I can get two pair out of a skein . . . and all others because I LOVE sock yarn and will continue trying them all just to know what they are like because I am enthralled by the process of knitting socks.

M L
Go to Top of Page

YarnGoddess
Permanent Resident

USA
2460 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  11:30:46 AM  Show Profile Send YarnGoddess a Private Message
Trekking XXL (incredible coloration patterns and super soft)

Mountains Colors Bearfoot (softness to die for)

Interlacements Toasty Toes (super warm and super soft)

Elizabeth
Zipper & Diva

A sense of humor can help you tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected, overlook the unattractive and smile through the unbearable.

To learn more about healthy nutrition for your cat, go here: http://www.catnutrition.org and here: http://www.catinfo.org/
Go to Top of Page

rejoyce
Chatty Knitter

USA
250 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  3:14:58 PM  Show Profile Send rejoyce a Private Message
Lorna Laces
Jawoll (it is so soft and I love the reinforcement yarn that comes with it)
Koigu (expensive)
I need to try Bearfoot now that I have read this thread!

Kim
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  8:33:49 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Chanpagne taste on Soda Water budget. Sigh!

I haven't used most of the expensive sock yarns, but I have used and enjoyed Lorna's Laces (thanks to Luann - and I even made a pair of socks ) and Interlacements Little Toes (which they've discontinued).

The LL is much softer, but I love the Interlacements colourways.

Other than that, it's been Kroy, which is OK, but there's no comparison.

Barbara

Healthy conservatism promotes the continuity of civilization, the importance of community, the dangers of thoughtless change. It does not, or should not, assert the right of white, Christian heterosexual males of a certain age to limit the rights of everyone else. The past 100 years of social history has been dedicated, on good days, to constraining the dominance of this minority. Yesterday was a good day: J.Ibbotson, June 29/05, on the passing of the same-sex marriage bill.

Photos:
Blog:

Go to Top of Page

sylver
New Pal

36 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  11:36:32 AM  Show Profile Send sylver a Private Message
I have used different kinds, but my favorite by far is opal. It is so soft, a dream to work with :)

I hope that one day I can say my favorite is my own handspun, but given the way my handspun yarns look, I think thats going to take a loooong time ;)

--
Blissfully Crafty: http://craftblog.sylly.net/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.