Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Simple Knits for Cherished Babies
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wasabicat
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  7:09:59 PM  Show Profile Send wasabicat a Private Message
What a beautiful book! I also bought Knitting for Two which is equally gorgeous. I'm working on 4 projects simultaneously--I couldn't help myself! I'm finding there are a few errors though, like the rib pattern for the maternity wrap sweater in Knitting for Two. Anyone also working on projects from these books?

Molly C
Seriously Hooked

USA
884 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  04:31:35 AM  Show Profile Send Molly C a Private Message
I just started swatching last night for the Riboon-Tie Cardi out of Knitting for Two. I haven't done enough of the pattern to know if there are errors or not. I do think it's a lovely book with lots of great ideas.

Molly
Knitting Away in Connecticut.

Have a blog? Join the KR Webring and share your blog with the rest of the group! Click here.
Go to Top of Page

wasabicat
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  10:48:12 PM  Show Profile Send wasabicat a Private Message
I'm doing the ribbon-tie cardigan too! I am about half way done, and love the way it's knit all in one piece. That's a little less intimidating for a newer knitter like me.
Go to Top of Page

wasabicat
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  11:27:31 PM  Show Profile Send wasabicat a Private Message
Oops, just went to your blog and saw the cardigan you're talking about--THAT'S not the one I'm doing, and come to think of it, mine's not even a CARDIGAN! I'm doing the Classic Cashmere Sweater for baby--it has a ribbon tie back.

I was BLOWN AWAY by your completed projects. That felted purse is amazing.

I, too, have been suffering fertility problems for 2 1/2 years. It's so heartening to see your ultrasound and hear of a successful pregnancy. Knitting has been my therepy through 2 miscarriages (very early but still devastating) and a surgery to correct the problem. I love to hear about people like us who finally get there--it gives me hope.
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  11:34:40 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
I have both those books, as well as Simple Knits for Little Cherubs and they are my most used kids books.

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2005 Stats: 3 WIPs, 18 FOs
Go to Top of Page

Molly C
Seriously Hooked

USA
884 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  07:47:58 AM  Show Profile Send Molly C a Private Message
Wasabicat - thanks for your comments. We just found out this morning that I am having a girl, so now I can start to look for sweaters to make for the wee one. I wasn't very excited about most of the gender neutral stuff, but I do like that little embroidered raglan sweater (photographed in red in the book) that I might make now that we know what we are having. I would likely have made it for a boy in navy and just left off the embroidery; it looks like it would be easy to get on and off with the buttons at the shoulder.

I am sorry to hear of your trials with conceiving. Are you expecting now, or are you knitting for a friend? If not for yourself, then I hope your baby comes and finds you soon.

Molly

Have a blog? Join the KR Webring and share your blog with the rest of the group! Click here.
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  2:50:37 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
A friend of mine knitted the raglan sweater for my son in cream cotton with navy trim; I'm just waiting for him to grow into it.

The lacey bonnet is gorgeous for a girl and really easy to knit.

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

Go to Top of Page

wasabicat
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  11:58:11 PM  Show Profile Send wasabicat a Private Message
Hi Tam--that lacy bonnet looked intimidating to me, but maybe I'll try it after I finish the other 4 projects I'm working on!

Molly--SO EXCITED IT'S A GIRL! I'm not pregnant now, but doing IUI on Monday, my first go at it, with Clomid. If this doesn't work we'll move on to injectibles next month, but I'm terrified of having twins or triplets or MORE (we're both only children).

I'm mostly knitting for the MANY friends around me who are on their second and third baby--I'm sure you've noticed these people too. Every girl going through fertility issues must have highly fertile friends. It's the law. But I went out on a limb and I'm knitting the wrap maternity sweater from Knitting for Two for myself with great determination. I realize this is considered highly unlucky but what have I got to lose?

How did you finally conceive?
Go to Top of Page

Molly C
Seriously Hooked

USA
884 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  04:31:44 AM  Show Profile Send Molly C a Private Message
Wasabi - good luck with your IUI. We did two rounds of Clomid with timed intercourse that were unsuccessful. When we talked to the RE after the second round to come up with a new gameplan, he recommended adding in an IUI with the Clomid or moving to injectables with IUI, which obviously was the more aggressive approach.

I responded well to Clomid as far as ovulation, but I had wicked side effects in the form of depression, so we decided to risk the chance of twins (which my DH was surprisingly okay with) and did the IUI with injectables, which was the protocol that worked for us. And, fortunately I only ended up with one. (As matter of practice, my RE does double (back-to-back) IUIs with all IUI treatments, so I actually had two IUIs for the cycle.)

I'm not sure what stats your doctor gave you, but I was told with the injectable IUI cycle there is a 25% chance of twins, 5% chance of triplets, and less than 1% chance for higher order. Eventually I decided I could deal with twins - I want two to three kids at some point anyway - and the risk of triplets or higher was pretty slim considering I had never conceived at all before. I think at my IUI I had 4-5 mature follies, but only one took, and I am pleased with that.

I hope the very best for you. If you have any questions about anything, feel free to PM. Good for you, too, for knitting the maternity sweater. Maybe it will be just the luck (and a wee bit of positive outlook) that will help you over to the other side.

Molly

Go to Top of Page

cjlaw
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  2:36:11 PM  Show Profile Send cjlaw a Private Message
Has anyone knitted the cashmere booties? I am a relatively inexperienced knitter, but I love it. I fell in love with this book, but I think that I may need some help deciphering the patterns! Thanks!

cj
Go to Top of Page

wasabicat
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  11:23:01 PM  Show Profile Send wasabicat a Private Message
Hi cj--I haven't tried the booties. Did you complete them? I'm pretty new, too. I've stuck with it and I'm surprised that I can overcome any hurdle with the help of books or my local yarn stores. Sometimes it just looks so impossible! Have you been to any knitting stores that will offer to help you out?
Go to Top of Page

cjlaw
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  05:32:53 AM  Show Profile Send cjlaw a Private Message
Wasabi - I totally agree that a little persistence goes a long way. It's amazing how it finally works out if you keep trying! I have actually finished one of the two booties (it shouldn't take so long! I work too much!) and they're adorable. I had some trouble following the pattern, but finally figured it out after a little trial and error. If you decide to make them, I'll explain the problem I had so that you don't have the same one...Of course, there is always the possibility that it was me and not the pattern...

I think I'll make the little beanie hat next...I have a good friend due in the fall, so I'll make a whole little baby outfit, I think!
Go to Top of Page

wasabicat
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  9:41:34 PM  Show Profile Send wasabicat a Private Message
Yeah, my job is really cutting in on my knitting time. I'm a teacher and will be going back to work on Monday. UGH! I have too many projects going! I'll let you know if I start those booties. I bought the yarn for that beanie for a friend's baby, so that's on my list too.
Go to Top of Page

charleness
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  2:24:09 PM  Show Profile Send charleness a Private Message
I have requested this book from my local library after seeing the online reviews and can't wait to get it!

I am going to knit the "bebe" sleeping cushion as a gift for a co-worker who is currently pregnant, but does not know the gender of the baby. I would like to order the yarn before the book comes, can anyone tell me what brand/color/yds of yarn the book recommends for this project?

Thanks!
Char
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  5:01:44 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
I takes 1 50g ball of fingering weight yarn e.g. Jaeger 4 ply silk or Jaeger Sienna cotton.

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

Go to Top of Page

charleness
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  7:25:23 PM  Show Profile Send charleness a Private Message
Thanks so much Tam! I can't wait to pick some colors!
Go to Top of Page

KnittingNicole
New Pal

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  10:15:02 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingNicole a Private Message
I recently bought this book and I love it too! I like her simple designs and most patterns appear to be beginner-friendly.

I haven't made much yet, I've done the beanie hat which turned out fine and now I am getting ready to make the cashmere sweater (but not using cashmere yarn!) To those who have already made things out of this book, did you notice any pattern errors? Is there a website that lists possible errors in the book or are instructions pretty reliable?
Go to Top of Page

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  1:53:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message
I love these books, not only the baby books but the toddler one too. I made several things out of them which are used a lot! I didn't encounter any errors (at least that I am aware of) and the paaterns are well written. The only thing I noticed is that I use a lot less wool then the patterns say (and I do get gauge etc.) Eg the lacy bonnet (which is really an easy project and maybe a very good first lace project) only "costed" me one ball of wool/cotten.

best regards

Marjolein
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.