Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Blocking Synthetic fibers
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yarnaholic1963
Warming Up

61 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  11:22:35 PM  Show Profile Send yarnaholic1963 a Private Message
I need to know how to block a cotton / acrylic blend? I'm wanting to make Orangina http://www.glampyre.com/blog/archive/oranginabigcuwlogo.jpg in a cotton/acrylic blend but am worried about the scalloped top not laying smoothly. I once melted a sweater by steam blocking it with my iron, so I'm a bit gun-shy now. Any suggestions? I know that I could make the top in a 100% cotton yarn, but the color I really want to make it in only comes in the cotton blend version.

TIA!

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  11:28:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
what I do with my stuff is pin it to shape and then either steam it without EVER touching the iron to the yarn or putting a towel over and steam-ironing it. I have a small iron that I normally keep at least half an inch above the knitted piece when I steam it, and have the iron set on the highest heat/steam setting.

FO: scalloped baby blanket, "Cleo" halter top
WIPs: Winter Night Afghan (Blue/Cream), Knitted Stripes Afghan, Homespun Diamond Lace Shawl, Winter Night Afghan (Emerald/Tan)
USO: Catch the Wave Afghan, Waikiki T-Strap Tank, Booga Bag, Hat and Mittens
Go to Top of Page

yarnaholic1963
Warming Up

61 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  11:32:56 PM  Show Profile Send yarnaholic1963 a Private Message
And this works with synthetics? I won't melt it?
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  03:42:15 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Most synthetics don't melt that fast. It all depends on the temperature of the iron. Using just steam will not melt most synthetics. The most delicate synthetic is rayon and it needs the coolest temperature. Acrylic is one of the toughest ones. The best advice I can give you to keep that edge from curling (like it does in the picture) is to be sure to make the bind off loose enough. Two things can cause that slight roll over. The bind off is a little too tight or the lace pattern is a stockinette based lace pattern. I suspect it is the second one and that is why you get the roll only on the stockinette (scallops) parts and not the lacy parts.(the holes between the scallops) If it is too severe, you can correct it with 2 to 3 rows of seed stitch across the top. I would try it out with a generous swatch of the lace pattern, at least 8 repeats. When it is time to bind off, bind off 2 repeats, then work a row of k1,p1, turn and bind off two repeats, then work seed stitch to the end, bind off another 2 repeats and work seed stitch to the end and then bind off the last two repeats. Now play with the swatch. Roll it into a ball, rub it between your hands and thoroughly mess it up and see what happens. Then choose which finish you like the best. Since you only have 8 to 10 scallops on the top, I would probably do my testing right on the project with full knowledge that I would have to frog a few rows and reknit them once I had made my selection. If the solution to the roll over problem is knitted in instead of blocked in, you will probably be able to machine wash and dry your top.

fran
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  09:50:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by yarnaholic1963

And this works with synthetics? I won't melt it?

I've used it on Caron's Simply Soft (100% acrylic) and Lion Brand's Homespun (an acrylic blend) and never melted anything...of course, now that I say that, the next time I go to block some afghan squares, I'll mess it up! *goes to find some wood to knock on*

FO: scalloped baby blanket, "Cleo" halter top
WIPs: Winter Night Afghan (Blue/Cream), Knitted Stripes Afghan, Homespun Diamond Lace Shawl, Winter Night Afghan (Emerald/Tan)
USO: Catch the Wave Afghan, Waikiki T-Strap Tank, Booga Bag, Hat and Mittens
Go to Top of Page

yarnaholic1963
Warming Up

61 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  3:43:08 PM  Show Profile Send yarnaholic1963 a Private Message
Thanks so much ladies! The top is knit from the top down, so the scallops at the top are actually the first thing that's knit and not the last thing... so I suppose I would just reverse everything that fmarrs said about doing the seed stitch trim and do that first instead of last. If it turns out badly, I could just frog the first several rows and start over. Of course, I might try some steam too and see how that works. Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe