Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 what to do with gauge swatches
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

knittingjones@hotmail.com

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  05:53:03 AM  Show Profile Send knittingjones@hotmail.com a Private Message
I'm saving them to stitch together for a pillow -- you won't see the seams on the other side!
Go to Top of Page

kitkatknit
Chatty Knitter

184 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  07:28:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit kitkatknit's Homepage Send kitkatknit a Private Message
Except for my sock gauge sample, I usually stuff them with catnip and give them to.... Well it seems that I am not allowed to talk about you know who here, so you'll just have to guess!

http://spaces.msn.com/members/joyofspin/

Go to Top of Page

ecrisher
Warming Up

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  08:40:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit ecrisher's Homepage  Send ecrisher a Yahoo! Message Send ecrisher a Private Message
A good friend of mine used hers as a pocket in the felted purse that she made. If I'm not felting my project I usually just frog it and use the yarn in the project. My budget is limited since I am a SAHM so I save where-ever I can.

~ec

check out my knitting at www.woodnknots.com/Knots.html
Go to Top of Page

nellcm
Chatty Knitter

161 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  09:09:39 AM  Show Profile Send nellcm a Private Message
You all are great. What a lot of ideas you have given me. I do have a knitting journal, but the swatches are too big for that. However I also have a 3 ring binder that i keep yarn information in. I'll just slip the swatches in the back of that (duh, don't know whay I didn't think of that earlier).

Framing the lace swatches is a good idea...wouldn't a grouping of 4 on a wall look nice?

I also felted one swatch, folded it in half and use it to hold my yarn needles.

thanks and happy swatching

Nell

Go to Top of Page

stacyo
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  10:18:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit stacyo's Homepage Send stacyo a Private Message
What do I do with them? I rip them out as soon as I see the gauge is correct and start knitting my project with the same yarn. I never thought to save them. Don't I have enough yarn sqeezed into every possible drawer and open space? How can I possibly start saving gauge swatches, too? :-)

stacyo
Go to Top of Page

abcameo
New Pal

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  10:36:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit abcameo's Homepage Send abcameo a Private Message
Yarn is expensive, and I can't afford to waste it--so I recycle by ripping swatches out and reusing the yarn to sew up seams when the project is done or to hold open stitches on the neckline, either for this garment or the next one.

I also use the leftovers when working with my handheld loom--it requires that you put a long strand across the first row so that you can tug the stitches downward at the end of every row.
Amy
Go to Top of Page

Debbie Mo
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  11:17:46 AM  Show Profile Send Debbie Mo a Private Message
Until recently, I frogged my swatches and used the yarn in the projects, too.

I purchased some price tags at an office supply store for labeling the two I've saved so far, and one of these days I'll put them into my journal. But I think now that the idea of a binder with pattern copy, notes and swatch sounds better than the journal. I'd rather knit than write about it.

Debbie Mo
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2041 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  12:08:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message
I use the small tags also. I have found that even if you think you will remember, YOU DON'T. So, every swatch and project gets a tag at the beginning - needle size, brand of yarn & color #, # cast on, type of cast on, types of increase/decrease . . oh, and date started! That way, when you are ready to put it in your journal you have a back up of your info. You see, I make a copy of the pattern in the beginning and write all that info on it also!

Now that I'm sittng here thinking about it . . . I have a large partial ball of yarn that is NOT with it's label; should have tagged the blank, blank thing! Those little tags are so inexpensive and so very handy!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

jlpanecki
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  4:41:25 PM  Show Profile Send jlpanecki a Private Message
I rip mine out- but, sometimes I only knit a few rows to check the guage, then I just have a little bit to undo.
I don't keep a journal, that's too organized for me. I do usually keep notes on each item, and then I stick the note (usually an old envelope or the back of the yarn label) in the pattern book.

That's all folks!

Janet
Go to Top of Page

shimmeringskyinc@aol.com

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  4:43:01 PM  Show Profile Send shimmeringskyinc@aol.com a Private Message
As a designer, I was starting to get up to my eyeballs in swatches, but as a packrat by nature, I was reluctant to waste the yarn, and couldn't figure out how to use the swatches creatively.
So, I decided to use my scanner to preserve each swatch and yarn band. I had the accurate colour, stitch definition and actual size, and wrote all the pertinent needle size, gauge, type of yarn etc. at the bottom. Then, all scans went into a zippered three ring binder for future reference.
And what happened to the swatches? I ripped them up and saved the yarns for embellishments like I-cord, and had yarn left to attach to garments for future repairs or button fastening.
Hope this helps...
Go to Top of Page

wagnermeg
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  4:44:29 PM  Show Profile Send wagnermeg a Private Message
i use them for kitty toys, the fuzzier the better![meow]
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  4:50:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit knottyknitter's Homepage Send knottyknitter a Private Message
Shimmeringsky - what a great idea! I think I would also keep a small sample of the yarn too though for the true color since the scan will vary by monitor and printer used. That way, you could also have a way to feel the yarn.
Go to Top of Page

letti
Chatty Knitter

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  6:01:37 PM  Show Profile Send letti a Private Message
I frog my swatches and work them into the project I am knitting. Whenever I am knitting a lace pattern I turn my swatch into bookmarkers or door hangings which I give as gifts.

Letti

"Anybody is liable to fall off a tightrope in any land, I thought, and God help you if you fall the wrong way."
Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

KellyPg
Chatty Knitter

Malaysia
167 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  7:16:56 PM  Show Profile Send KellyPg a Private Message
I usually knit a few swatches in different gauges to see how it feels and looks knitted up to those tensions, then I tag each one (type of yarn, brand, colour code, needle size, pattern st, before & after washing gauge[if I wash it]). Haven't got around to filing them yet...
If I don't have enough to finish a project or need to mend it later, I recycle! But I think I'll take the advise of attaching a piece to the finished project so that it wears together.
If I don't like the swatch (due to pattern st or tension) then it gets turned into something small, like a small bag, needle roll, cat toy, etc. Sometimes I lose myself and continue knitting till I get a very long swatch of different pattern sts; these may become hairbands or scrunchies.

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

eamand
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  05:00:39 AM  Show Profile Send eamand a Private Message
What does FROG stand for?
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  10:05:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by eamand@verizon.net

What does FROG stand for?

rip it out, like the sound a frog makes: rip it rip it

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

Seen on a church marquee: Blessed are the flexible, for they shall never be bent out of shape.
Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  10:40:23 AM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
I have used mine as elbow patches and pockets for beloved "homey" sweaters. I also joined them together with borders and had a fun, soft, crazy afghan. It even works as a sweater. I just added the borders to make it resemble the shape of a standard sweater front, etc and then joined pieces the usual way adding ribbing in a contrast color (black).
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2005 :  07:37:49 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
We are putting together an afghan for a school group- all beginners, several different weights of yarn.We were given 4 seins of verigated but, non-related in color,to put it together with. After crocheting the squares together, We added a border with the verigated switching off colors after each row around. the effect was wonderful- very Bohemian[sp?] in effect. It will be used as a wall hanging for their school. KL
Go to Top of Page

irishmomof9
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2005 :  09:19:02 AM  Show Profile Send irishmomof9 a Private Message
Guess I'm a real tightwad! I always unwind the yarn used for the swatch, and then use it to start the project. Wish I'd kept journals, but who has time?

...and may God hold you in the palm of His hand
Go to Top of Page

Marie E
Chatty Knitter

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2005 :  6:31:56 PM  Show Profile Send Marie E a Private Message
Usually I don't knit the yarn I buy until it's past the season for it, so I buy extra. I have all the swatches and someday I'll put them all together for an afghan. I don't journal or keep notes from the project-so it's difficult to reproduce the same pattern if I want to do it again at a later date.
I love swatching and knitting. I just don't like producing a written history of each project.

Marie E in NC
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.