Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 What Should I Make with It?
 50 to 100 Yards
 odds and ends
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nellcm
Chatty Knitter

161 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  09:54:27 AM  Show Profile Send nellcm a Private Message
I have boxes and baskets full of odds and ends of yarn leftover from various projects. what in the world shall i do with them? it seems like i should be able to make lots of nice christmas presents...but what?

Nell

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  11:55:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message
Our LYS owner is making scarves with several different yarns combined. So, my imagination working here, couldn't you combine a couple, (knitting w/ more than one strand at a time, knit till one gives out, add another and just keep going, adding a new one when one gives out? Also, how about NOT weaving in the ends, and letting them hang out like long eyelash? Add some extra short ones along the way? I don't know, but in theory it MIGHT turn out nice. You could start a new fad! [:00]

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1350 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  12:12:55 PM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
My LYS sold "magic" balls of yarn for a while. They were just different yarns in about 6-12 " pieces all tied together with knots leaving at least and inch of tails after the knot. Then you can use large needles and knit a garter stitch scarf. If you hve enough you could do color schemes.

Jayme
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  7:11:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
Take a look at this. http://www.musicology.ucla.edu/grads/sun/knitting/fish.html

Someone had posted a pattern on her blog but I looked and it was taken down now. But it's a real stash buster, huh!
~~~~Jamye
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  7:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
Clara has an article on magic ball here. I may try that sometime.
I do like that fish blanket though. Looks fun to make, and I could just make a fish here and there whenever I feel like it. But that seems like a lot of sewing to do to finish it. Would you do that by hand? or could you use a sewing machine?

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

Seen on a church marquee: Blessed are the flexible, for they shall never be bent out of shape.
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  08:22:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
I think I'd probably sew them together by hand. Unless I figured out how to knit two (by the tail) together. That would help some. But then who has two popcorn cans (like you get at Christmas) full of granny squares just waiting to be joined? [crazy]

I would love to try a magic ball sometime but mine would be such a rainbow because I'd never have enough of one color family to make it big enough to do anything!

Then, of course, we could always send them to Meandorene to finish! [:00](click here)

~~~~Jamye
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4166 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  09:29:17 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
You know what would look great knit up with a magic ball? A moebius scarf!

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nellcm
Chatty Knitter

161 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  3:12:22 PM  Show Profile Send nellcm a Private Message
Great ideas. I love the Magic ball idea. I think I'll be starting mine, soon. I especially like the idea of making a Moebius scarf with it. I've never made one before...
Nell
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  06:32:28 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I made a scarf like the one Sharon describes, except I didn't wait to run out, I changed every couple of rows. You can see a picture in here.

Barbara

Healthy conservatism promotes the continuity of civilization, the importance of community, the dangers of thoughtless change. It does not, or should not, assert the right of white, Christian heterosexual males of a certain age to limit the rights of everyone else. The past 100 years of social history has been dedicated, on good days, to constraining the dominance of this minority. Yesterday was a good day: J.Ibbotson, June 29/05, on the passing of the same-sex marriage bill.

Photos:
Blog:

Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  07:00:52 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
I did a scarf by just putting my hand into the bag and knitting with whatever came out, never doing the same amount of rows adjacent to each other. I added yarns on both sides and left the ends.I mixed solids and varigated with a few textural yarns for interest. The result was wonderful-quite Bohemian and rustic in flavor.
I liked the effect so much, I'm going to do a capelet to wear with jeans. Try it-I think you will like the effect. KL
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  07:05:00 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
I love the fish blankets, but I can't find the pattern for the fish. I'm not very good at reverse engineering - does anyone have a pattern, or can you figure it out?

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  07:56:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
A side-to-side sweater (vertical stripes) would look great knit with a magic ball. I've seen several, and they're all gorgeous, and each is unique.

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  2:50:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by anderknit

I love the fish blankets, but I can't find the pattern for the fish. I'm not very good at reverse engineering - does anyone have a pattern, or can you figure it out?

Check this link for "a recipe for fish". http://www.charitablecrafters.org/Tesselating%20Fish.htm

~~~~Jamye
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  3:12:41 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
Thank you so much, Jamye. When I went to "aprilbrokena"'s blog, she had pulled the pattern. Thanks again - gotta go start digging in my stash....

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

SLKnitter
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  10:32:00 AM  Show Profile Send SLKnitter a Private Message
Try the Knitcushions from http://www.quiltinpigeon.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi?cart_id=2240075.2781.s0&product=gw_knit&productid=23&sales=0&lastmenu=

I first posted this under the 100 and over yardage strand, but actually it works better here: the inner ring uses 10 yards, the 2nd ring uses 20 yards, the 3rd ring is 30 yards and the outer ring is 40 yards. The pattern calls for Lamb's Pride Worsted, but I've used Wool of the Andes and Cascade 220 successfully.

Jo Anna
Go to Top of Page

k8watt
Warming Up

61 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2005 :  04:01:51 AM  Show Profile Send k8watt a Private Message
Check out some of Laura Bryant's Designs (she owns Prism yarns). Many of her patterns use her yarn called "stuff" and another yarn alternated. I couldn't find any pictures online.
Just pick a yarn that can be your "base" or background color. And let all the odds and ends add the splash. (Her stuff yarn uses a variety of yarns - fur, ribbon, mohair, boucle.) Knit alternating blocks of color.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe