Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Shawls and Scarves
 self fringing shawl
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mary Holton
Chatty Knitter

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  12:32:51 PM  Show Profile Send Mary Holton a Private Message
I bought this pattern from my local yarn shop, the Purly Gates (Marietta, Georgia). It was designed by one of the owners. It is a drop stitch style, but what makes it unique is that while you knit, you keep a five stitch border (all knit) and when you are done, you drop all of these border stitches to get a fringe on the end. What is nice is this fringe is a loop. I do not usually like fringe, but this loopy one is keeping with the drop stitch design. Their pattern calls for Berocco Gem , but I liked a yarn called Marco polo, more rounded than flat and not as slippery as the Gem is.

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  12:40:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
I've seen that type of fringe but don't know exactly how it works. Is it hard?

~~~~Jamye
Go to Top of Page

blr2449
Permanent Resident

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  5:48:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit blr2449's Homepage  Send blr2449 a Yahoo! Message Send blr2449 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Knitrageous

I've seen that type of fringe but don't know exactly how it works. Is it hard?

~~~~Jamye

And I'm wondering if one can add that kind of border to any knit shawl? I know I'm missing something here but why doesn't the whole thing unravel?

Barb [Knittin' like crazy in Kalamazoo]
"You can't get a hit unless you're swinging."

http://graniterose.livejournal.com/
Go to Top of Page

Renocat
Permanent Resident

1327 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  5:55:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Renocat's Homepage Send Renocat a Private Message
This is used on several of the cable borders in knitting on the edge. It is on the saxon braid scarf pattern in the back of the book.

I wondered the same thing..why doesn't the whole thing unravel. The easiest way to explain is this:

say your scarf is 35 stitches wide. When you are done knitting, bind off 29 stitches and fasten off the last one (I just cut the yarn and pulled it through the 30 stitch.) slip the remaining 5 stitches off and unravel. It stops unravelling at the last stitch you fastened off.

I was sceptical so I knit a one repeat swatch of the saxon braid scraf and it worked!

[img]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/img]
Kim
I have a blog! http://kimsknitpage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

blr2449
Permanent Resident

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  6:28:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit blr2449's Homepage  Send blr2449 a Yahoo! Message Send blr2449 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Renocat
say your scarf is 35 stitches wide. When you are done knitting, bind off 29 stitches and fasten off the last one (I just cut the yarn and pulled it through the 30 stitch.) slip the remaining 5 stitches off and unravel. It stops unravelling at the last stitch you fastened off.

I would think that the knitter also experiences high anxiety slipping those stitches off the needle. I know I would until I proved to myself that it really worked. But a dropped-stitch shawl is on my list of things to do......

Barb [Knittin' like crazy in Kalamazoo]
"You can't get a hit unless you're swinging."

http://graniterose.livejournal.com/
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  8:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
This pattern was posted in another thread. It's a drop stitch shawl with the fringe. http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39430 It's free on KnitPicks site. Is this similar to yours Mary?

~~~~Jamye

Go to Top of Page

abbierose
Seriously Hooked

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  03:10:21 AM  Show Profile Send abbierose a Private Message
A lady at my Knit Club just finished this pattern from Knitpicks last week, and it turned out great! We were all very apprehensive about her making the fringe, but she said it was so easy, and it didn't unravel. She just pulled the five stitches, they un-knit, and she knotted them.

I still wish she'd have brought it to club and done the unravelling so I could have seen it. But the finished product looked fantastic.

Good Luck!

Melissa
Tia Knits
Go to Top of Page

mouse
Permanent Resident

1442 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  9:12:10 PM  Show Profile Send mouse a Private Message
I'm making a shawl with the Knitpicks pattern right now. It's a quick, easy and fun project.
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  9:52:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
I tried one I read about somewhere. It's a triangle but instead of starting at the top or the bottom you start on the side. I cast on 6 (I think), with a marker after the second stitch so there were 2 stitches before the marker and 4 after. Then I increased one before the marker on each knit row. I purled the opposite rows, so it was a stockinette stitch. When I ran out of the first ball of yarn I started decreasing on the stitch before the marker on the knit side and continued until I got back down to the 6 stitches (or what I started with). Then I bound off all but the 4 stitches after the marker and unraveled them. It was fun but scary! I used Lion Brand Imagine and it turned out pretty. It was kind of a large scarf or a shawlette I guess. I think I used size 15 needles. If I do another I'll go up in needle size and may even make it two balls or 1 and a half before decreasing.

Edit--Okay, so I looked at the link I posted and realized that the KnitPiks pattern is made the same way...just with drop stitch. Did I remember that when I made this one? No.......

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe