Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Using Kool-Aid
 Kool-Aid Colors Too Garish
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

txtapdancer
Chatty Knitter

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  3:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit txtapdancer's Homepage Send txtapdancer a Private Message
I just finished painting my first skein of Kool-Aid dyed wool. The colors are very "sweet tart". I used pink, blue and yellow. I wasn't really going for a new baby look, but that's what I got. My mind's eye saw the finished project so differently. That being said, do you think a tea stain would tone down and mature the colors? Any color experts that could recommend another color for over-dyeing? Is there anyway to lighten the colors? A bleach bath or something. I didn't use vinegar so maybe I just need to give the yarn a good soak. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,

--Jules

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  5:27:35 PM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
Yes, I boiled coffee and overdyed KoolAid, it came out lovely and unevenly muted. It was uneven to begin with. After the coffee was not boiling I put in the fiber (unspun, uncarded) and left it simmering quite awhile. If you have carded fiber just do it with room temp so it won't felt. You can also try spinning your fiber, you might find that it mutes it enough when it blends the ends together the colors are a lot less intense. A tea dye would probably work just as well as coffee. Have fun!
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  5:54:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
I don't know the answer to your question, but from Andy's description it sounds like a good idea to try. Please take before and after pictures so we can all learn from the experiment.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

Seen on a church marquee: Blessed are the flexible, for they shall never be bent out of shape.
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  6:48:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Whatever you do, DON'T BLEACH! It will disolve your wool.

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  05:13:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
you either do the tea or coffee over dye or add something slightly 'muddy' to the dye vats
OK now let me explain.
a pure spectrum color, can be 'muddied' by adding a drop or two of it's opposite on the color wheel.
so red can be muddied with green
and green can be muddied with red....
now you don't want to go over board as then you will get various tinted grays....( either warm or cold depending......)
but a small amount of the opposite color tones stuff down a bunch
vi
still remembering her art school training allllllll these many years later!

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

englishtch
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  08:56:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit englishtch's Homepage Send englishtch a Private Message
Thanks for the help (even though I wasn't the one asking). I did some Kool Aid painting and thought the colors were really bright also. I saw some socks on the Six Sox Knitalong that were done with Kool Aid yarn that were beautiful muted colors and I was stumped as to how they got those. Now that I know, I'll have to order more yarn and try again.

I posted pictures of my yarn on my blog if you are interested in "Starburst" colors.

My blog: www.soonerbeknitting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  12:18:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
You can also overdye with a color, to get a different type of muting. For example, if you overdye with yellow, all the pinks will turn peachy, all the blues will turn green, the purples will go brown or beigy, and the whole "look" will warm up.

If you overdye with blue, the whole think will cool down, and it'll be any orangy shades that will go brownish or greyish.

Remember that coffee and tea are both shades of orange (almost all browns are actually in the orange family)

If you want to darken and soften the whole thing, you can use a grey dye.

-Wendy
Did you know God was a knitter?
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." Psalm 139:13

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/StripyFixationribbedsocks.jpg[/IMG]
Oh, no, I'm blogging now! Click to see it!
Go to Top of Page

txtapdancer
Chatty Knitter

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  8:15:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit txtapdancer's Homepage Send txtapdancer a Private Message
Thanks for all the great advice.

I read a warning not to use colors opposite each other on the color wheel for fear of getting murky brown. I never thought to use that to my advantage. That's an interesting idea.

I turned the pastel yellow lime green by soaking it in the blue. That made me happier.

Wendy, thanks for the over-dye info. I was not at all sure how to approach that option. Fortunately I set some yarn aside so I can test your option.

And Starburst is a great way to describe the colors. See I like them on your webpage. How come I don't like them in my own home? I think it's because I "painted" them and didn't really soak the yarn in the dye so it was too pastel. At this point I'm going back and adding more dye trying to deepen the colors a bit. I'm also spotting with darker colors to try to create some varigation. We'll see how that goes.

It's really nothing lost. And it's been fun. When I get to a happy place I will post pictures.

--Jules
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  12:32:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
If you want to learn more about dying and overdying, you may want to spend an afternoon playing with the kid's watercolors.

Try to make a rainbow with just red, yellow, and blue. Then try to make pastel colors with just red, yellow, blue and white. Add black and make shaded colors. Then play around with muting colors with their complements. Make yellow-green and see what happens when you add hot pink. How is it different if you add rose pink? Watermelon? Orange?

See if you can make brown with just red, yellow, blue. Darken it with black. Add white and make beige. How can you make your brown warmer? Cooler? Can you get black or grey with the three primaries? (It's hard to get black with kid's watercolors, but you can easily do it with red, blue, and yellow acrylics or oils). Try adding blue to brown.

If you play with paints, you will learn so much about how colors combine!

-Wendy
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." Psalm 139:13

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/StripyFixationribbedsocks.jpg[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  12:41:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Momma78239

If you want to learn more about dying and overdying, you may want to spend an afternoon playing with the kid's watercolors.

Try to make a rainbow with just red, yellow, and blue. Then try to make pastel colors with just red, yellow, blue and white. Add black and make shaded colors. Then play around with muting colors with their complements. Make yellow-green and see what happens when you add hot pink. How is it different if you add rose pink? Watermelon? Orange?

See if you can make brown with just red, yellow, blue. Darken it with black. Add white and make beige. How can you make your brown warmer? Cooler? Can you get black or grey with the three primaries? (It's hard to get black with kid's watercolors, but you can easily do it with red, blue, and yellow acrylics or oils). Try adding blue to brown.

If you play with paints, you will learn so much about how colors combine!

-Wendy

Oh my, I just had art school flash backs......
studio painting 101
oye
vi

ps: she is right you know......

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.92 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?