Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Crochet finishing for knits - questions and ideas
 Chulo #2 Finishing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

comfybev
Chatty Knitter

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  09:33:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit comfybev's Homepage  Send comfybev a Yahoo! Message Send comfybev a Private Message
Hi there,

I'm finishing my second Chulo made from Andean Folk Knits (which I love and recommend) and it has a crocheted edge around the whole cap, which is fine. I can do it and did it on the first one. The problem I had though was that it wasn't very neat because as I knit it the first time, I wasn't very careful about my cast on which is what gets crocheted over, and I had trouble finding the holes to stick the crochet hook in, leaving a somewhat disorganized and un-uniform look.

Now I'm close to finishing a second one (probably today) and I've been thinking about ways I can make the border look better when I add it. This time I was very conscious of my cast on, knowing it would be an issue later, but the biggest problem is the join spaces with the ear flaps. I had to knit the two earflaps on other needles first, then join them as I cast on the hat edges. So the crochet border goes around the cast on, down one side of the knitted earflap, up the other, and back to the cast on edge - and none of it has the nice v's that are crocheted into when picking up and knitting on a sock heel or in regular crochet itself for that matter.

Any recommendations?

Take care, Bev
OTN: Socks for DH, "Best foot Forward" socks, Chulo #2, "Inca Pattern Scarf"
http://bwdiaz.blogs.com/comfybev/

emilyn
Chatty Knitter

Singapore
126 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  9:47:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit emilyn's Homepage Send emilyn a Private Message
Hi Bev,

Is it possible for you to post a photo -- it's hard to visualize.

Em

http://vintagefusionhandcrafts.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  11:32:17 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Bev,
You get the nice "V"s by spacing your crochet stitches evenly. It doesn't matter where you insert your needle as long as it is inserted the same distance apart every time. Another suggestion, I just made several chullos and instead of crochetting I picked up stitches around the edge and worked 4 rows of garter stitch. (2 ridges) Then I got smart and worked them from the top down and when I got to the bottom worked 2 ridges in garter stitch, then, on the bind off row, I worked the ear flaps individually in garter stitch. I had to reattach the yarn after the first earflap but that was all and they look very neat.

That is the hat all my grandchildren want this year but they all want it in black. So dull for me to knit. I told them no black but I will knit them for them.

fran

http://www.geocities.com/martian_mischief/
Go to Top of Page

comfybev
Chatty Knitter

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  06:45:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit comfybev's Homepage  Send comfybev a Yahoo! Message Send comfybev a Private Message
Fran, thanks for the advice. I will try that on my next chulo (sometime next year)because I really love the pattern. I did finish the chulo with crochet in this case and I was really careful about it so I confirm that spacing is the key. I have pics of it in the finished objects photo album on my blog.

Take care, Bev
http://bwdiaz.blogs.com/comfybev/
2005 FO Count: 10
OTN: KR Gift Exchange project for Andrea "mtnknitter", plain normal socks, Elizabeth I "Dainty Bess" lace scarf
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe